Right now I'm running a Metal Zone through a Kustom Quad 200. I have a very high gain tone and I love it but I'm getting an awful hum out of it. My amp doesn't hum at all wen the pedal is off but because of the high gain when the pedal is on, it sounds terrible whenever I'm not playing anything. I already tried a suppressor but it takes away so much of the tone that I don't even want to use it. Is there anything else I can do? Any other pedals I can try? I'm willing to give anything a shot at this point.
Turn the pedal off when you're not playing. Or get a pedal that isn't hated by anyone with decent taste.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Turn the pedal off when you're not playing. Or get a pedal that isn't hated by anyone with decent taste.

Why do you even waste my time?
Quote by LolCatGuitar
try a very high quality noise gate or a better pedal, (there are better metal distortions) or it's a natural thing I guess.
Are you running single coils?

No, it's a Rockfield humbucker in one and an emg 81 in the other. I've been debating buying different pedals(or whatever it takes) but I just don't know gear well enough to know what to buy.
Quote by bp1980s
Why do you even waste my time?

You're problem was stated as noise when not playing. Therefore, you turn off the pedal when not playing. I can't help it if you can't comprehend that simple idea. Your pedal is a piece of crap and you're probably using too much gain anyways. Noise gates are last resort items.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
You're problem was stated as noise when not playing. Therefore, you turn off the pedal when not playing. I can't help it if you can't comprehend that simple idea. Your pedal is a piece of crap and you're probably using too much gain anyways. Noise gates are last resort items.

If you have nothing good to say then don't post, see if you can comprehend that. I don't need some cocky idiot telling me what I'm doing wrong. I'm looking for someone who wants to help fix the problem and that clearly isn't you.
dude, get a grip. matt knows his shit, and he gets on here to help. you gave a scenario, he gave a solution - a correct solution. you have a low end pedal running into a low end amp. noise is to be expected. so typically youd turn it off when not in use, or you'd fix the problem at the source by getting some better equipment.

if you're gonna be a jerk to the people trying to help you, go to EG or something.
Quote by mmolteratx
See sig.

So...you're saying you're too stupid to understand what I'm saying? Get a life.
Quote by bp1980s

dude stop making your self sound more stupid. Take his advice. He is not trying to offend you by saying your gear is crap.. He is trying to let you know that a new pedal might help. obviously your the easily offended.

this guy has helped me loads so take his advice.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by josephde
dude, get a grip. matt knows his shit, and he gets on here to help. you gave a scenario, he gave a solution - a correct solution. you have a low end pedal running into a low end amp. noise is to be expected. so typically youd turn it off when not in use, or you'd fix the problem at the source by getting some better equipment.

if you're gonna be a jerk to the people trying to help you, go to EG or something.

If it was as simple as turning off the pedal I wouldn't be on here. There are slow leads where I need the pedal on but the hum comes through, that's why I'm trying to fix it. I don't have a hum from the amp, only the pedal. I don't doubt that he knows his gear but you talk like I started saying shit to him first and I don't know where you're getting that from? Just read his first post and you can see that he was causing problems right from the start. Like I said before, I'm looking for someone who wants to help, not cut me down. If all he's going to do is say negative things and not suggest gear that I could try to resolve the issue, why waste anyones time?
Quote by bp1980s
There are slow leads where I need the pedal on but the hum comes through, that's why I'm trying to fix it. I don't have a hum from the amp, only the pedal.

... get a new pedal...
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by Aashraya
dude stop making your self sound more stupid. Take his advice. He is not trying to offend you by saying your gear is crap.. He is trying to let you know that a new pedal might help. obviously your the easily offended.

this guy has helped me loads so take his advice.

I don't know what's so hard to understand here. If my pedal sucks, simply suggest a new one that would work better. Saying my gear sucks and implying that I'm an idiot doesn't help! I DO believe that he knows what he's talking about but so far he hasn't given me any advice other than to turn off my pedal. If he suggests a new pedal that would be more effective then I could look into it and that's all I've been asking for.
The pedal is just noisy. If there's hum while you are holding a note, there really isn't anything you can do to fix it. A noise gate will help when you're not playing but not when you are.
I have a huge fear if rays.
All I'm asking for is suggestions as to what pedal(or other gear) might work better to fix the problem.
Quote by bp1980s
If it was as simple as turning off the pedal I wouldn't be on here. There are slow leads where I need the pedal on but the hum comes through, that's why I'm trying to fix it. I don't have a hum from the amp, only the pedal. I don't doubt that he knows his gear but you talk like I started saying shit to him first and I don't know where you're getting that from? Just read his first post and you can see that he was causing problems right from the start. Like I said before, I'm looking for someone who wants to help, not cut me down. If all he's going to do is say negative things and not suggest gear that I could try to resolve the issue, why waste anyones time?

If you had given that explanation in the OP instead of just saying that it makes noise when you're not playing it would have made much more sense.

Before I can help you, what guitar are you using, what would be your budget and what bands do you want to sound like?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by ChrisBW
The pedal is just noisy. If there's hum while you are holding a note, there really isn't anything you can do to fix it. A noise gate will help when you're not playing but not when you are.

Do you know of any pedals that can get a similar tone with less noise? If I knew then what I know now I would've bought a dif pedal from the start. Unfortunatly this one has always made a lot of noise but I didn't know any better when I bought it.
Quote by mmolteratx
If you had given that explanation in the OP instead of just saying that it makes noise when you're not playing it would have made much more sense.

Before I can help you, what guitar are you using, what would be your budget and what bands do you want to sound like?

I apologize for that because I realize that now after all of the comments back and forth. My primary guitar is a Mockingbird ST. Immediate budget is maybe a few hundred dollars. I'd like to not replace the amp at the moment but if you have any suggestions towards better future amps that would be greatly appreciated. I play in my own original band and my tone is most related to a cross between Metallica and Pantera in my opinion. I'd love to fix this just by buying a new distortion pedal but I don't really know what to look for(which I assume you've figured out by now lol). Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
For a pedal, I'd recommend the Barber Dirty Bomb. The Wampler Triple Wreck is also very popular but like double the price. The Suhr Riot has been getting a bunch of good reviews but to me it doesn't sound heavy enough for most modern metal stuff. These pedals will also add noise but not nearly as much as the Boss and they'll sound considerably better.

For an amp, you'd probably look at the standard fare metal stuff. Used Peavey 5150, Mesa Dual Rec, Mesa Mark series etc. All go fairly cheap used. 5150s for under $650 fairly regularly, Dual Recs around $800-$900 and Mark IIIs around $600-$800. The Mark III would be good for early Metallica tones after KEA and the Dual Rec would work much better for stuff post Black Album. 5150 is a bit more modern still. All are real aggressive.

Also, are you running your stuff off of a power strip? That can cause problems, as can having gain set too high. Shielding your guitar can also be a good idea when playing live to avoid some of the noise caused by stage lighting. What pickups are in the Mockingbird? There's also a possibility that they could be microphonic. After you've got all of this nailed down and you've still got noise it may be time to be looking at noise gates.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by bp1980s

Don't ask for help and then attack the person helping you.

Turning off the pedal is the best option for the MT-2, that or taking it apart and tossing it in a microwave...

Or, take it to your local shop and get like, 20-30 usd for it and take the money you have, and get a good dist. pedal.

Metal Muff seems to be a favorite. I prefer OD pedals through a good, high gain tube amp, but that's just me.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Don't ask for help and then attack the person helping you.

It was a misunderstanding. We're past it now. Let's try to keep the thread on topic.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Turn your gain down. You're probably using too much.

Also, don't buy a high end distortion pedal with that amp, lol. That's ridiculous. Sell both, and buy an amp that has it's own distortion so you don't have to worry about this crap.
Quote by drewfromutah
Turn your gain down. You're probably using too much.

Also, don't buy a high end distortion pedal with that amp, lol. That's ridiculous. Sell both, and buy an amp that has it's own distortion so you don't have to worry about this crap.

+100 win. end of thread.

i saw this a few days ago when the question was first posted. it has gone down the exact path that i had expected. UGers how i love you so.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Awsome! Thanks a lot! I'll start looking into all of this. This really helps. It will take a little saving up to replace the amp but I'll keep an eye out for any deals on used ones.

BTW, the mockingbird has rockfield mafia pickups in it.
Maybe roll down the volume on the guitar when you aren't playing? I'm pretty sure that should just be a reflex, just kill the volume whenever you stop playing.

Obviously like everyone else with half a brain has said, Metalzone is shite and is your problem.

Sadly, these days it really does just comes down to how much money you have to spend if you wanna sound good. If you were recording it would be different considering the amount of fantastic amp sims out there that are free, but live sound is almost all down to how much cash you have.