Page 1 of 2
I play at my church on wednesday nights for youth(THIS WILL NOT BECOME A RELIGIOUS DEBATE). Anyways we have a awesome physicality. Its great. We mic our amps. I have a original fender super champ and i like to angle it back against on of the lighting trusses so the amp is shooting in my ears and i can hear it well.

There are A LOT of times when im doing like a U2ish delay deal and it can get pretty delicate during quiet parts. I like to have my amp on about three so its louder but not screaming. That way i can hear it good. So the sound guy approaches me and tells me to turn it down....a lot. I had to get it down to like 2 or less to make him happy. This is bad because 1)I loose a TON of tone. 2) I can't hear myself. When i cant here myself i loose a lot of confidence in my playing and its just shows in my playing. 3)(this is kind of a Christian thing)its distracting from my God time because im focusing on trying to hear myself rather than God.

What is the best way to handle this.....?
get a mesa mark v and a 4x12
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I think they have pretty great help for schizophrenia these days.
Quote by CG138
I think they have pretty great help for schizophrenia these days.

Take your bad joke elsewhere.
Quote by SpacePirateFace
I play at my church on wednesday nights for youth(THIS WILL NOT BECOME A RELIGIOUS DEBATE).

3) (this is kind of a Christian thing)its distracting from my God time because im focusing on trying to hear myself rather than God.

Anyways....

Tell the sound guy exactly what your problem is and tell him that you have to hear yourself to play...I mean that's pretty obvious. How big is the room where you're playing?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by Carrot
get a mesa mark v and a 4x12

Mesa's are famous(as far as I know) as high gain amps, but they do actually have some pretty fantastic cleans.
Quote by CG138
I don't remember making a joke.

This is a thread about amps, not "hey let's rip on the religious guy". I'm an atheist, but comeon that's just not polite.
Quote by ciadude2
Mesa's are famous(as far as I know) as high gain amps, but they do actually have some pretty fantastic cleans.

TS would be able to hear himself then tho lol

as for clean mesa's the lonestars are the best (i think)

but for TS's problem, just talk to the guy

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
A guy thinks he hears a deity, and I'm the bad guy for recommending help? Logical.
Quote by CG138
A guy thinks he hears a deity, and I'm the bad guy for recommending help? Logical.

Trooooooooooooooooooooooll in the dungeon.
Yes. Basic reasoning makes one a troll. Can't imagine what that makes you.
Quote by CG138

No. The fact that you're being an insufferable prick about his religion despite the fact that he already said this would be a non religious thread makes you a troll.

I already said I'm an atheist.
Dude believe me... He has you turned down on the board. Take it from a former worship band leader. Turn your amp down. If you're worried about losing tone, buy an attenuator. If your worried about not being able to hear yourself, use a monitor.

This is what happens when you have your amp even remotely loud on the stage.

1. He has you all the way out of the mix, but he can still hear you, and it's messing up the rest of the mix.

2. No one else on stage can hear anything but you.

3. The people who are in the sound lines of your amp ,even remotely, will get to much guitar, and since the sound guy has you down in the mix, the people not in the sound lines of your amp will get none of you.

I know it may not make sense to turn down your amp, but it will seriously make the sound of the entire band better.

Why do you think a lot of huge bands put there only working cabs backstage with huge soundproof blankets over them?

Quote by CG138

Stop posting or your gonna get reported...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 25, 2010,
Go Big Bang Theory

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
A prick? I never made one personal attack, never used one insult or slur. Hypocrisy is certainly getting the better of you. Pandering to someone's belief that they have a personal relationship with a god does them no favors. Not very often do I encounter a self-proclaimed atheist lacking in common sense.
Maybe you can get monitor headphones, or he can just turn it down on the board.

If you can't get monitors, maybe put the amp at head level instead of on the floor and tilted up and stand closer.

E: ^ And yet you have contributed nothing to the thread.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Aug 25, 2010,
I'm only attempting to aid the OP in a much more meaningful and profound way.
Quote by CG138
I'm only attempting to aid the OP in a much more meaningful and profound way.

*reported*...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by CG138
A prick? I never made one personal attack, never used one insult or slur. Hypocrisy is certainly getting the better of you. Pandering to someone's belief that they have a personal relationship with a god does them no favors. Not very often do I encounter a self-proclaimed atheist lacking in common sense.

Actually you have, if not directly.

You've called him schizophrenic and then feigned innocence in the form of "help".

And the definition of prick by Webster is:
an obnoxious or contemptible person.

You're being obnoxious as well as contemptible by:
1. Trolling
2. Adding nothing of value to the thread.
When I played for my church's worship band, I wasn't even hooked up to the PA. Everyone else was(except the drums) but I had to keep my amp just above 1 to have it at a decent level for the rest of the people playing. I could barely even hear myself, despite being right in front of the amp. Maybe I'll go back there one last time before uni and br00talz the shit out of that place.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Mmhmm. You are certainly helping your fellow human by encouraging mental subjugation. Quell the voice of reason. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose, but not so beautiful as truth.
Quote by CG138
Mmhmm. You are certainly helping your fellow human by encouraging mental subjugation. Quell the voice of reason. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose, but not so beautiful as truth.

This is not about religion, it's about sound guys and keeping amps low. Please go away.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by CG138

The only thing I'm encouraging is staying on topic with the thread.
Quote by CG138

Go away.

TS, turn it down. He's a sound guy, and his job is to help you. Alternatively, you can buy an attenuator. Is tone really THAT important to non-musician churchgoers?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by smartalec007
When I played for my church's worship band, I wasn't even hooked up to the PA. Everyone else was(except the drums) but I had to keep my amp just above 1 to have it at a decent level for the rest of the people playing. I could barely even hear myself, despite being right in front of the amp. Maybe I'll go back there one last time before uni and br00talz the shit out of that place.

But really, the best way to go, especially with multiple instruments, is zero stage volume. In fact right now the guitarist in my old youth band is installing a 4x12 back in a closet backstage so he can crank it and still have minimal stage volume.

The louder the stage is, the harder it is for the sound men to get a good mix of all the instruments.

Quote by bingeandletgo

TS, turn it down. He's a sound guy, and his job is to help you. Alternatively, you can buy an attenuator. Is tone really THAT important to non-musician churchgoers?

Probably not, but I personally can't stand playing at church when I can get my tone right, even when everyone says it sounds fine. Playing with tone you don't like is annoying...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by CG138

Wow, man, you're so cool.

TC, maybe you should do the following:

1. find a monitor.
2. place the amp in another room and mic it there.

I've no idea how large the area you're playing in is, but I promise you, people can hear you much better than you think. Guitars project their sound, as do amps, and it's often surprising how well. It's entirely feasible that you're dominating the mix.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by biga29
Dude believe me... He has you turned down on the board. Take it from a former worship band leader. Turn your amp down. If you're worried about losing tone, buy an attenuator. If your worried about not being able to hear yourself, use a monitor.

This is what happens when you have your amp even remotely loud on the stage.

1. He has you all the way out of the mix, but he can still hear you, and it's messing up the rest of the mix.

2. No one else on stage can hear anything but you.

3. The people who are in the sound lines of your amp ,even remotely, will get to much guitar, and since the sound guy has you down in the mix, the people not in the sound lines of your amp will get none of you.

I know it may not make sense to turn down your amp, but it will seriously make the sound of the entire band better.

Why do you think a lot of huge bands put there only working cabs backstage with huge soundproof blankets over them?

Thanks for the input. He will only let the lead vocalist have a monitor and no one else for the same reason. Also if i can't even hear the amp im standing next to then i know its not affecting anyone else thats worshiping on or off stage. I just need it to where i can hear it well enough. Also we have it cranking in there. We hit on average like 105db. Its never really quiet.
Quote by biga29

Probably not, but I personally can't stand playing at church when I can get my tone right, even when everyone says it sounds fine. Playing with tone you don't like is annoying...

Believe me, I know what you mean, being a huge tone freak . But you can't sacrifice a decent mix for tone. It'll just sound like crap.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by SpacePirateFace
Thanks for the input. He will only let the lead vocalist have a monitor and no one else for the same reason. Also if i can't even hear the amp im standing next to then i know its not affecting anyone else thats worshiping on or off stage. I just need it to where i can hear it well enough. Also we have it cranking in there. We hit on average like 105db. Its never really quiet.

Hmm, the fact that he only lets the lead guy have a monitor may mean ya'll may not have enough channels for everyone to have a separate mix, so instead of everyone being able to hear their own mixes of the sound. You could only have one, and obviously the guy leading won't want much electric in his monitor.

Try this to keep your amp quiet and be able to hear it at the same time, buy an amp stand that can point your amp at an angle, and point it directly at your head. You'd be surprised how much better you can hear it like this than if it' just sitting at your feet.

Also, you may want to make a suggestion to turn down the entire mix, as louder can sometimes be annoying, and it can sound better if you have everything a touch quieter. Sometimes loud music just starts sounding like noise, instead of music.

Also, I feel like I'm being really cocky in this thread, I promise I'm not trying to act like I know everything. I'm just telling you what I know.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by SpacePirateFace

they have personal monitors. maybe something small that you bring yourself will be permitted.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Any more discussion of religion will lead to this thread being closed. Either help the TS with his problem, or get out.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Ask Jesus, he should know what to do.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by i3oosted
Ask Jesus, he should know what to do.

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Any more discussion of religion will lead to this thread being closed. Either help the TS with his problem, or get out.

Pleas don't close this thread until we fix TS's problem. Thanks.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
But really, the best way to go, especially with multiple instruments, is zero stage volume. In fact right now the guitarist in my old youth band is installing a 4x12 back in a closet backstage so he can crank it and still have minimal stage volume.

The louder the stage is, the harder it is for the sound men to get a good mix of all the instruments.

The thing is/was, though, stage volume was all that I had. I wasn't hooked up to the PA or anything, while the rest of the band was. It was a pretty big church, too, so no one could really even hear me. They didn't even mix anything, it was just plug into the PA and play/sing.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
The thing is/was, though, stage volume was all that I had. I wasn't hooked up to the PA or anything, while the rest of the band was. It was a pretty big church, too, so no one could really even hear me. They didn't even mix anything, it was just plug into the PA and play/sing.

No offense, but that sounds horrendous... Why didn't yo just mic your amp?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

Pleas don't close this thread until we fix TS's problem. Thanks.

If the help isn't being crowded out by spam, I'm glad to. In the meantime, you focus on helping the TS (which you've done a great job of so far), I'll focus on moderating, and UG will be a happier place.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
If the help isn't being crowded out by spam, I'm glad to. In the meantime, you focus on helping the TS (which you've done a great job of so far), I'll focus on moderating, and UG will be a happier place.

Sounds good. Thanks for doing what you do.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

Hmm, the fact that he only lets the lead guy have a monitor may mean ya'll may not have enough channels for everyone to have a separate mix, so instead of everyone being able to hear their own mixes of the sound. You could only have one, and obviously the guy leading won't want much electric in his monitor.

Try this to keep your amp quiet and be able to hear it at the same time, buy an amp stand that can point your amp at an angle, and point it directly at your head. You'd be surprised how much better you can hear it like this than if it' just sitting at your feet.

Also, you may want to make a suggestion to turn down the entire mix, as louder can sometimes be annoying, and it can sound better if you have everything a touch quieter. Sometimes loud music just starts sounding like noise, instead of music.

Also, I feel like I'm being really cocky in this thread, I promise I'm not trying to act like I know everything. I'm just telling you what I know.

Big +1 to everything you've said.

There has to be a reason he's asking you to turn down (unless he's just a jerk)
An amp stand would help a lot, also maybe just try asking him why he NEEDS you to turn down.
Page 1 of 2