Hey guys, I'm going to buy a new guitar, but I'm just buying it for the body. I know the pickups are pretty bad, so I could use some helping finding better ones. It's a basswood V body.

It's got strat style pickups, 3 single coils. I have heard mixed things about EMG single coils, and there seems to be a few different kinds. I have also heard good things about Lacey Alumitones.

I play mostly heavy metal stuff, And this guitar is gonna be probably put in Drop C. So I'm looking for pickups that would suit my style, and not feedback to badly, hopefully? Stuff like Bullet For My valentine, and Killswitch Engage. I know I can't get the tone with single coils, but if I can find the pickup best suited, without having to reroute my guitar or something, that would just be great.

Thanks in advance for your help
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
how expensive per pickup would you say the Dimarzio's are?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Definitely a high output stacked single coil like the Tone Zone S for the bridge. You may also want one for the neck if you want a really warm, thick solo tone. I'd personally get a single coil in the neck no matter what, though.

The DiMarzios shouldn't run you more than about $60-70 a piece. I picked up an Air Norton S on eBay for $60 shipped, I believe.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Would a Tone Zone be a good one to put in the neck and middle?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
My question is active or passives. If you go actives, don't get EMGs. Get Seymour Duncan Blackouts. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Blackouts-AHB1-Humbucker-Set?sku=301007

Thanks for linking to humbuckers. I need some single coils though. Do they do single coil blackouts?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
It's alright. What's the real difference between active and passive?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Quote by cardiac_arrest
It's alright. What's the real difference between active and passive?
An active has more electricity running through it than a passive. It usually allows for more powerful and thicker distortion than a passive. And it usually requires a 9v battery. The battery sits in the guts of your guitar, and you'll have to replace it on a rare occasion. Actives also use different hardware than passives. That stuff is always included with the pickups (excluding the batteries).
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 25, 2010,
Sounds like a lot more work for a person who's never done this stuff before. Single coils seem like they'll be ok I hope.
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
Well, it's not really more work. I mean, whether you get actives or passives, you'll have to actually go through the process of soldering and putting the pickups in. I doubt you'll have any issues other than that. You won't have to replace the batteries on actives very often. I mean, other than the sound and tone differences, there's not a whole lot of practical difference between actives and passives. Just if you're gonna play a lot of music like you said, actives make more sense to me. But it's up to you.
Alright, so for actives, your biggest suggestion would be some blackouts? Are there different models for bridge, neck, middle?
Ibanez prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Deltatone 5 string bass

Line 6 Valve HD100
Randall 412 XL with V30s
No, for the set I linked above with the single coils, it's already set up so that there's a bridge, mid, neck model selected for you. I'm sure there's different models, but that set has em already selected for the right model in the right slot.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 25, 2010,
Active versus passive is more to do with how much you want the wood of the body to shine through.

Do you believe the body wood of the guitar you have purchased is of a decent quality? Do you want your guitar to sound like a basswood V or do you just want it to sound like another guitar with active pickups?

Active pickups tend to almost negate certain factors of a guitars construction when it comes to tone. So they are a safe bet to put in crappy guitars. If you want to hear the wood and have a more natural sounding instrument I would recommend passives.

Depending on your budget and if you want to retain single coil tone I would go with a Bareknuckle Sinner / Trilogy Suite / Trilogy Suite set.

The Bareknuckle sinner has output that matches most humbuckers but still sounds like a single coil, which will give you quite a unique tone. If you ask for the zinc bassplating option from bareknuckle you will also get a nice punchy low end in your instrument too, like a high output humbucker.

I have a mexi strat with 3 trilogy suites and it can compete with my Ibanez Guitars when playing the br00tz. It has a nice single coil kinda crunch to it but the bass response still really moves some air.

Something for you to consider
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works