I have a line 6 spider 4 30 watt amp (I know that its not the best, but I bought a spider 3 as my first amp, and it broke so this is what they sent me.) Anyway, Whenever I pick a note with any distortion, the pick hitting the guitar is as loud as the note. Is there anyway to alter the tone to fix this? Any help is appreciated.
first headbang stack.

Last edited by RANDUMB! at Aug 25, 2010,
hard to say

what pickups are in your guitar?
can you lower your pickups?
what guitar do you have?
does the amp have a presence control?
try standing further away from amp?
you are not using any pedals right?
did you have this problem with the Spider 3?
Why don't you _____________________ ?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
hard to say

what pickups are in your guitar?
can you lower your pickups?
what guitar do you have?
does the amp have a presence control?
try standing further away from amp?
you are not using any pedals right?
did you have this problem with the Spider 3?
Why don't you _____________________ ?

+1, there are alot of variables here.. see if you can narrow it down.

Maybe you're using too much gain? Have you played other amps to make sure you're used to the distorted pick attack?

also, inb4 spider h8 (here it comes..)
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
I am not sure what the pickups are, but the guitar is an ibanez GIO. I don't know much about electric guitar technology, so I am not sure if I can lower the pickups, or how to do so.
And is presence control a separate knob? Is has a lot of settings, but none say presence... Alsoit doesn't help when I am further away from the amp. And I might just not be used to the distorted pick attack. I haven't played too many amps, but this happend on both of mine. Any tips for pickking on distortion?
first headbang stack.

The picking sound becomes obvious when I have it on the crunch setting at about halfway on the gain knob. But I normally play a lot more distorted than that.
first headbang stack.

Quote by RANDUMB!
The picking sound becomes obvious when I have it on the crunch setting at about halfway on the gain knob. But I normally play a lot more distorted than that.

Could be picking techniques, but also could be that you're using too much gain.
There is no knob for presence. That was a real bad joke. I'd do some of the suggestions given so far and go into whatever preset you are in and try to turn the gain down or tell what the options are. On most pups there is a screw on each side of it that is used to adjust the height. What kind of picks are you using?

Quote by Matt15f
spider 3 broke so you got a spider 4....wow

It sounded to me that it was replaced under warranty with a IV.