I apologize if anything I say in here violates the posting rules and such, as I know they're quite specific. Let me know about any mistakes I make and I'll be sure to edit my post.

Alright, so, on to business.

I finally have a job and can reasonably begin to build a higher quality cache of musical equipment. As the name of the thread implies, I'm searching for a new guitar amp to upgrade from my Peavey Vypyr. This amp has served its purpose quite well but it's time to move on now, as I'm getting into a more professional stage in my life.

Price isn't an issue since I have no living expenses and will be making about 400$ a week. That said, let's begin on what I'm looking for.

I play a lot of metal, jazz, post rock, folk, general rock, and such, and I'm also in a metal band. In short, I need an amp that can go fairly loud that gets excellent high gain tone as well as good clean sounds.

By good high gain tone, I mean to say that I like having really nice lows. Krankenstein amps sound, in my opinion, awesome in that regard. However, they are quite expensive and before I dish out that much $$$ I wanted to get some outside opinions. Clean demos of them seem to be rare so I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with Krank amps, specifically the Krankenstein's and how they hold up for clean playing.

Of course any other suggestions would be fantastic as well. I'm not generally biased against any brand of amps(except perhaps Line 6, which has pretty awful lows generally, as well as flat mids and highs to my ears).

Guitarwise, I have an Ibanez SZR720(passive pickups, mahogany, set in neck, thru-strings), and an ESP V-200(passive pickups, alder, bolt on neck, thru-strings), and the only pedal I have is a Boss ME-70.

I'm going to be getting another guitar along with the amp, but we'll worry about that later.

As far as how I play, my clean playing generally sounds tone-wise a little like Moving Mountains, and my high gain sounds a lot like Abigail Williams(or so I'm told).

Thank you very much, and I hope I've been specific enough. I'm keeping an open mind about any suggestions.
I would suggest either a Peavey 5150/6505, or a Marshall of some sort, maybe a JCM2000. The 5150 won't handle cleans as well as the Marshall, but it's high gain tones are (in my opinion) a bit better. You may want to look at a Mesa Single Rec combo if you can afford it.
Last edited by phlip999 at Aug 25, 2010,
if you say budget metal amp the stock answer is 5150/6505, and thats for a reason.
Guitars
Amps
He also mentioned Jazz. Wouldn't suggest a 5150 for that. Try a Marshall JVM. It is the only amp that i have tried(albeit there are few high budget amps i have played) that can do a great variety of styles well. It has just the right amount of low end, not exaggerated like many other amps. But it is definitely a matter of taste
you have a point but there is not jazz + metal amp at this point. Cleans can easily be sacrificed tone wise by adding a delay etc, where as gain tones are not as easy to replicate.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by phlip999
I would suggest either a Peavey 5150/6505, or a Marshall of some sort, maybe a JCM2000. The 5150 won't handle cleans as well as the Marshall, but it's high gain tones are (in my opinion) a bit better. You may want to look at a Mesa Single Rec combo if you can afford it.

Like, I said, budget isn't an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep it up .
With the jazz, it's not a problem as long as I can get a decent clean tone, my Ibanez can go really mellow.
I really, really like the Krank Rev+. I wasn't much a fan of the Stein I played, but it was an original and I've heard the plus version is a big upgrade. The Krank Rev+ is probably the most unique sounding amp I've ever heard. It has an odd voicing to it, but it's pretty badass IMO. Quite a nice clean channel as well.

If budget is unlimited though, I'd go for a Diezel Herbert or Engl SE. Or a cheaper option, with an Engl Savage or Framus Cobra. If you decide on a Krank, definitely go used, they're not as cheap as they used to be, but still great deals can be found
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com