I got bored the other day and found the parts of a Yamaha EG112 I disassembled a few years ago. I got the idea to change the body up a bit and really shake up the original pickup scenario (started out Humbucker-Single-Single). I took some old Lace S-150s, an agile bridge humbucker, and an epiphone neck pickup, and mounted all 5 pickups on my strat style pickguard (imagine, from left to right, a straight vertical bridge single coil, a humbucker, middle single coil, humbucker, neck single coil, all packed in there). My goal is to wire each "set" (the two humbuckers being one set, 3 singles being another) to concentric pots for volume/tone control, the humbuckers to a 3 way switch and the singles to a 5 way switch, then both to kill switches, then to the jack. Can someone tell me if this is possible? I think I can figure out the wiring all the way til the output jack as I would have two independent circuits going to one jack and I don't know if that would work. If push comes to shove I can always wire two jacks in and run the guitar through an A/B box, but I'd really like to not have to do that if possible. Any wiring experts want to weigh in?
Also, are there any good samaritans that want to give a wiring diagram a shot? Here's a look at the pickguard.
Easy peasy Japanesey.

You only need one output jack.
You only need one killswitch.
You can use an ON/ON DPDT to toggle which is active, the 5-way or the 3-way.

Edit: if it was my guitar, I would use 5 mini-toggles. Each would be an on-off for one pickup. That would let you have any combo of the 5 pickups (in parallel).
Last edited by cedricsmods at Aug 25, 2010,
Or you could put both sets on on/off switches so you can blend between them if you so desire. Or a single three-position DPDT switch? Idr how the throws on those work.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
i would wire it to where each set goes to their own volumes and tones

with a selector switch for each set

and instead of wiring both of the sets directly to output jack, put a 2-way switch(if you try to blend them wouldnt it sound like shit?) to where you select which set your using

so that only 1 set is going to the jack at once

this was a great idea man

if you wire it how i said it would be like having a les paul and a strat at the same time.
Last edited by rickyj at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by cedricsmods
Easy peasy Japanesey.

You only need one output jack.
You only need one killswitch.
You can use an ON/ON DPDT to toggle which is active, the 5-way or the 3-way.

Edit: if it was my guitar, I would use 5 mini-toggles. Each would be an on-off for one pickup. That would let you have any combo of the 5 pickups (in parallel).

This is the best Idea I have ever heard, why the hell do we even have 5 way switches? Although that would be one crowded pickguard with 5 pickups on it.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This is the best Idea I have ever heard, why the hell do we even have 5 way switches? Although that would be one crowded pickguard with 5 pickups on it.

yeah the only thing I'm worried about is the crowded pickguard. Still might be the best option! Keep the ideas comin' guys!
I think Mike was on the right track. 5 on-off mini toggles would take less space than a 5-way and a 3-way. It is very intuitive to operate and would also give you more pickup combos than your original discription (though all would still be in parallel). Unless you want serial combinations, 5 mini-toggles seems best to me.
If you want to get crazy, you could use on-on-on DPDTs and have on/off/on-with-reverse-phase options for each pickup.
Thanks to all for the responses. I had an idea this morning and want to get your feedback-would blend knobs for both sets of pickups work? Wouldn't have the clear pickup combos of the mini switches but might get some neat in between tones. I'm a fairly simple guy (despite this project) and it might be easier to control pickup output with the blend knobs on the fly. Perhaps an easier wiring job too.
So, lets assume you plan on keeping it a 3 knob guitar, with the 5 toggle switches, you might be able to do it, if you have one blend knob for the lace sensors, and one blend knob for the humbuckers, and a master volume.

Idk how you would wire it up, all I know is that it's going to be very crowed under that pickguard, I already have a hard enough time getting my pickguard on with normal wiring.
There are 3 ways to do blend knobs:
1) a blend knob for each pickup (5), which is a preposterous number of knobs.
2) A blend knob for humbuckers and a blend knob for singles. But you'd still need a switch(es) to choose which were are on. This gets a little complicated
3) A blend knob for humbuckers and a blend knob for singles, but all humbuckers are on if any HB is on, all singles are on if any single is on (etc.) This doesn't give you many tonal options.
I think the way i'd do it, is to have a 5 way strat switch to control the single coils(maybe with a toggle for 7 combinations), a les paul toggle to control the humbuckers, and a 3 way toggle that would be single coils/single coils+humbuckers/humbuckers. I can draw a diagram if that sounds interesting.
I guess I was thinking of using the kill switch to set which set of pickups were "on" (or turn both on) and just use the blend knobs for pickup selection-in essence, if the kill switch is set for the humbucker circuit, both pickups are on but the blend knob would select which pickup is actually being heard. If both sets were on, I'd be able to use the blend knobs to combine humbuckers and single coils in whatever positions I want. Would it be possible to wire each set of pickups to a blend knob, essentially removing the need for actual switches altogether?
Rice Pilot, I would love to see that diagram if it's not too much trouble
Quote by caesar66
Would it be possible to wire each set of pickups to a blend knob, essentially removing the need for actual switches altogether?
Yes, but if you only use one blend knob you are blending ALL HBs with all SCs. You wouldn't be able to separate the neck SC from the bridge SC for example.
Quote by cedricsmods
Yes, but if you only use one blend knob you are blending ALL HBs with all SCs. You wouldn't be able to separate the neck SC from the bridge SC for example.

If each set of pickups had their own blend knob, wouldn't the knobs essentially function as pickup selectors for the pickups they are individually wired to? The kill switch would turn off either entire circuit, or have both. In other words if both circuits were on I could use the humbucker blend to output only the neck pickup and the sc blend to only have the bridge running. I'm new to wiring so I apologize if this seems silly.
A blend knob blends two things together. You can use a blend for the two HBs. But you cannot use a blend for the three SCs. It would have to be one always on, or one with a separate switch to turn it on and off.
It's not a silly question, lots of folks here are very happy to help each other out.
Quote by cedricsmods
A blend knob blends two things together. You can use a blend for the two HBs. But you cannot use a blend for the three SCs. It would have to be one always on, or one with a separate switch to turn it on and off.
It's not a silly question, lots of folks here are very happy to help each other out.

That makes total sense Cedric. I'm thinking I'll go with a standard 5 or 7 way switch for the single coils and maybe the blend knob for the humbuckers.
5 on/offs, and do this for the humbuckers.

Basically, that diagram is using SD wiring colors, but with yellow swapped for white. Wire the black straight to + (light blue) and the green to - (dark blue). wire all corresponding colors together.

use This switch, it's very tiny.

It will give them:
Series
Parallel
North Coil
South Coil

And if you don't believe the switch it tiny, look at it's datasheet.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA