Page 1 of 9
http://www.newsweek.com/photo/2010/08/24/dumb-things-americans-believe.html?gt1=43002

C'mon guys. Most of you American Pit monkeys are in school. Please tell me you can find Afghanistan on a map and you don't think the Sun orbits the Earth.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
*reads thread title*
GTFO. You've never actually seen what people are like here, you just make sweeping judgements based on news articles.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I know this shit's pathetic.
I've never been more ashamed of being from the US. You other Americans make me sick.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I'm sick of this stereotype so much.

I want to know why everybody focuses on that one stupid 50 year old in class in Community College who is complaining about the teacher going to fast and won't shut up, instead of the other 40 perfectly competent people in the overcrowded classroom.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Jackal58
you don't think the Sun orbits the Earth.

Can't be serious..
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Yeah I read that earlier. I already know that alot of Americans are dumb but some of those numbers are alarming.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I'm sick of this stereotype so much.

I want to know why everybody focuses on that one stupid 50 year old in class in Community College who is complaining about the teacher going to fast and won't shut up, instead of the other 40 perfectly competent people in the overcrowded classroom.

If it were 2% I wouldn't think its an issue.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by rgrockr
*reads thread title*
GTFO. You've never actually seen what people are like here, you just make sweeping judgements based on news articles.

Dude. He lives here.

Lrn2knowppl

Anywho, that's...scary. Very, very scary.

I saw something on the daily show tonight that was worse. Apparently building a mosque supports radical Islam. The stupidity of the American populace astounds me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened
^Dude. He lives here.

So do I.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
So do I.

GAH DAMMIT.

I was replying to RGrockr. But... the thread went insane as I was typing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Screw all of you guys.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Jackal58
If it were 2% I wouldn't think its an issue.

Certain regions of the U.S. are worse than others.

I take pride in my education. I see a lot of smart people where I'm from. I really feel like everyone focuses on the bad rather than the good, here.

There are a lot of educated people in America. But it's not like anyone ever gives them any of attention. It's just the uneducated ignorant folk who happen to be the ones who people give any second glances.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by rgrockr
*reads thread title*

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
In all honesty, I can't point out where Afghanistan is on a map. But then again, I'm not attacking it either.
Wait, Jackal's American? The way he phrased the OP it sounds like he's somewhere else, not to mention half of the Pit is Europeans bashing America. Guess I jumped to conclusions.
EDIT: I also have no idea where these poll numbers are coming from, most people I know, including older people, aren't anywhere near that stupid.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Certain regions of the U.S. are worse than others.

I take pride in my education. I see a lot of smart people where I'm from. I really feel like everyone focuses on the bad rather than the good, here.

There are a lot of educated people in America. But it's not like anyone ever gives them any of attention. It's just the uneducated ignorant folk who happen to be the ones who people give any second glances.

I do too. I rail at the videos that show people giving stupid answers to easy questions.
All the people I know are for the most part brilliant. But upwards of 40% and for the most part 20% of respondents to these polls are idiots.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
while in highschool, i attended dual-credit classes at houston community college. i gotta say, some of the people that went there weren't exactly the brightest bulbs...
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by rgrockr
Wait, Jackal's American? The way he phrased the OP it sounds like he's somewhere else, not to mention half of the Pit is Europeans bashing America. Guess I jumped to conclusions.

He was actually born in Canada. His mother died in labor, and his father couldn't get enough work to support him so he had to take him across the border on a hang glider constructed from maple leaves, twigs, and vines.
You know, as much as I'm partial to a fair bit of the ol' America bashin'... I know at least a dozen people in Australia, in my friend circle, who would probably think Saddam was involved in 9/11, and I could probably give you names and addresses of another 40 or 50 who don't know where Afghanistan is on a map...

As much as I hate to say it, the current generation of "young adults" (around 18-21) are a whole lot dumber than the last. World wide. General ignorance is the norm these days, because there's no need for anything higher. Hanging out with your friends normally involves booze and/or drugs and no intelligent conversation required, current schooling has turned everyone into a bunch of whinging facebook users who think that the world revolves around them because the schools say it does. Everyone is special, everyone is unique, everyone can do whatever they want in the world. Why would anyone focus on basic knowledge of the world when they know they can scrape through on sympathy forever?

Sweeping statements aside, I honestly don't think America is so dumb anymore. We've all dropped down a peg or two and America just has the stereotype affixed.
Quote by RU Experienced?
He was actually born in Canada. His mother died in labor, and his father couldn't get enough work to support him so he had to take him across the border on a hang glider constructed from maple leaves, twigs, and vines.

That's a fabrication.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by rgrockr
*reads thread title*

Holy shit.

Anyway, it is a said fact. I know quite a few people who probably couldn't find Iraq. I look at a map very, vary rarely but even I know the general area. It's by like the Congo, right?

We're also pretty low on pretty much every other list of positive things.

^What you mean to say is that the glider was fabricated.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by Jackal58
I do too. I rail at the videos that show people giving stupid answers to easy questions.
All the people I know are for the most part brilliant. But upwards of 40% and for the most part 20% of respondents to these polls are idiots.

Polls, exactly.

In many cases in today's media, polls aren't even considered valid and won't hold up in a statistics study. A population has to be studied entirely at random in order for it to be effective. If it's not, in any way, any results are considered useless.

Anyone who's turned on their TV in the past year knows that polls are being manipulated left and right. They interview who they think will prove their point, which is easier than you think. Picking and choosing who they show answers for. Picking and choosing who they ask the question in the first place, based on whether or not they look like they'd be able to answer correctly.

My point is, it's very likely that this poll was designed in the first place to show that Americans are stupid, and as such, it is useless.
-Jim Morrison
There's stupid people everywhere America is just cursed with having it displayed more to the world then us Canadians or the Europeans. Honestly I've met some dismally dumb Canadians and an absolutely dim German and some very intelligent Americans. I blame American television and Kentucky.
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by Magero
You know, as much as I'm partial to a fair bit of the ol' America bashin'... I know at least a dozen people in Australia, in my friend circle, who would probably think Saddam was involved in 9/11, and I could probably give you names and addresses of another 40 or 50 who don't know where Afghanistan is on a map...

As much as I hate to say it, the current generation of "young adults" (around 18-21) are a whole lot dumber than the last. World wide. General ignorance is the norm these days, because there's no need for anything higher. Hanging out with your friends normally involves booze and/or drugs and no intelligent conversation required, current schooling has turned everyone into a bunch of whinging facebook users who think that the world revolves around them because the schools say it does. Everyone is special, everyone is unique, everyone can do whatever they want in the world. Why would anyone focus on basic knowledge of the world when they know they can scrape through on sympathy forever?

Sweeping statements aside, I honestly don't think America is so dumb anymore. We've all dropped down a peg or two and America just has the stereotype affixed.

People tend to ignore things they don't give a **** about, most of the time
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.

To be fair on number 11 though, I would consider cannibalist cults and other similar groups to be "extreme or fringe," and I certainly wouldn't want a cannibalism practicing cult to be granted freedom of religion anywhere near me.

Quote by BladeSlinger

Anyway, it is a said fact. I know quite a few people who probably couldn't find Iraq. I look at a map very, vary rarely but even I know the general area. It's by like the Congo, right?

At least you got the right hemisphere, unless my sarcasm detector is broken.
Last edited by samick007 at Aug 25, 2010,
How can you not find it on a map? It's all labeled.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I don't think its contestable that an alarming number of Americans are ignorant.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by strat0blaster
How can you not find it on a map? It's all labeled.

Thay kant reed lolz.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Polls, exactly.

In many cases in today's media, polls aren't even considered valid and won't hold up in a statistics study. A population has to be studied entirely at random in order for it to be effective. If it's not, in any way, any results are considered useless.

Anyone who's turned on their TV in the past year knows that polls are being manipulated left and right. They interview who they think will prove their point, which is easier than you think. Picking and choosing who they show answers for. Picking and choosing who they ask the question in the first place, based on whether or not they look like they'd be able to answer correctly.

My point is, it's very likely that this poll was designed in the first place to show that Americans are stupid, and as such, it is useless.

Read the article Slinky. It's not 1 poll. It's numerous polls. Each topic lists the polls that they got there data from. Multiple polls. From what are typically considered legitimate pollsters. I wouldn't have posted this if it were a single source.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I agree with slinkyblue. I always find it a little hilarious that there are all these accusations about us being really dumb and thinking that the sun orbits the earth, but I have never met ANYONE who is actually that dumb.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
Quote by samick007
To be fair on number 11 though, I would consider cannibalist cults and other similar groups to be "extreme or fringe," and I certainly wouldn't want a cannibalism practicing cult to be granted freedom of religion anywhere near me.

Because cannibalism and religion are totally the same things.