Hey i hope someone here can help me with this question. Alright so i have this small amp a marshall MG15DFX and i want to record some covers on my laptop using mixcraft 5. my problem is how do i connect my amp to my laptops mic in. i was using just effects on my laptop just plugging my guitar through the mic in but the effects would die out so i need the amp to plug in. However i have been researching and getting a ton of mixed answers, do i plug my amp in from the cd in & emulated line out to my laptops mic in or do i use the headphone to laptops mic in? i read that messing up whats connected to your laptop would mess up the soundcard so i really didnt want to do any trial and error with it. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Based on that wall of text, plug the line out into the mic in of your sound card and be done with it.

Theres going to be a bunch of posts in the future about how the amp sucks and it shouldnt be recorded. Fair warning.
Guitars
Amps
your laptop's soundcard probably sucks (no offense, most do). if your laptop has a line in, use the line out of the amp into that port. if it has a mic input, make sure to keep the input signal low or else it will distort very badly.

to be honest though, the sound quality is going to be very poor.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
your laptop's soundcard probably sucks (no offense, most do). if your laptop has a line in, use the line out of the amp into that port. if it has a mic input, make sure to keep the input signal low or else it will distort very badly.

to be honest though, the sound quality is going to be very poor.

+5,000

Unless you want it to sound horrid, you need a decent USB interface and a mic, or plug directly into the interface and run VST amp models.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com