Ok I have a question about the importance of major scale.I've just started getting into "shredding" not to long ago after playing similar to zakk wyldes style of fast pentatonics for years,I've been learning a lot from the 2 malmsteen vids I have and some other books but last weekend I bought a satriani book and petruccis rock discipline and they have a lot of major scales.from all my years of playing 99 percent of the stuff I've ever wrote or played uses minor scales.the ocasional country/southern rock tune uses major but that's about it for what I've played....now I know you guys are gonna say its important to learn it to be an all around player but should I spend a lot of time learning the scales and licks in major if I'm not gonna use it? On both yngwie vids he says nothing about major scales....just wondering
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Minor, and those scary things called "Modes", are based off of the major scale, and if you want your shredding not to be boring, then learn and get to know the major scale, very well, and learn its modes too. If you wanna have musical options, learn the scale, if not, don't. But also keep in mind, if you play a major scale in certain ways, it can sound minor, and could open up a lot of possibility in the way you play things.

EDIT: And Yngwie is not a positive role model, he's basically the AC/DC for shredders(In other words, he's been writing the same thing for like close to 30 years).
Last edited by Dio10101 at Aug 26, 2010,
Ok thanks man...I know the scale in the first position I'll try and get it connected soon....I agree with yngwie sounding the same...I guess I just love his tone so much from the old steeler and alcatrazz days it blows me away

Remember that a major scale has a relative minor so some chops in the major scale can be useful if you want a minor sound. The Major scale is a natural scale because it is in nature. If you play a note and liten to the harmonics a major scale will form and certain people say that this is why it sounds so familiar and why we use it. If your are into neoclassical, a lot of the tunes have shifts from major to minor. A classical piece for example can be in C major, then shift to A natural minor (the relaive minor), add in some harmonic or melodic minor and then go back to C major so really the major soundis really present.

Major and minor are complementary, if you want a part of your song to feel really sad, it suits better after a more happy part; a minor part suits perfectly after a major part because the feeling changes.

I hope it serves.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by rdobson2
.from all my years of playing 99 percent of the stuff I've ever wrote or played uses minor scales.the ocasional country/southern rock tune uses major but that's about it for what I've played....

Well, that's pretty amazing. Your taste in music is extremely narrow. Never had the urge to learn the occasional Beatles or Billy Joel song?

Learn things as you need them. If all you ever want to play is metal and hard rock, then you may never need to know the major scale that well.
I understand what you guys are saying,I need to learn it to know it just in case I need it,another question...is their certain chords that make the progression major scale? Like if I write a song for example that goes a,f,c,g and you all open major chords why does it sound better to use a minor scale over it....I guess I have learned some major modes btw I know the aeolean. And phrygian pretty well as well as harmonic minor...aren't some modes minor while others are major?

Quote by jogogonne
Never had the urge to learn the occasional Beatles or Billy Joel song?

Nope.
Quote by rdobson2
should I spend a lot of time learning the scales and licks in major if I'm not gonna use it?
Quote by rdobson2
is their certain chords that make the progression major scale? Like if I write a song for example that goes a,f,c,g and you all open major chords why does it sound better to use a minor scale over it....

I think you answer your first question by the follow-up question - yes you should learn.

Do you know why the C major scale might sound decent over C, F and G?
Do you know what notes the A minor scale and the C major scale have in common?

PS - whenever somebody asks if they should NOT learn something, I find it kinda strange. No offense meant. You not the only one.
Quote by jogogonne
Well, that's pretty amazing. Your taste in music is extremely narrow. Never had the urge to learn the occasional Beatles or Billy Joel song?

Learn things as you need them. If all you ever want to play is metal and hard rock, then you may never need to know the major scale that well.

You do know that all music is either in minor or major? There isn't a single band out here who doesn't have at least one song in a minor key, even the Beatles and Billy Joel.

For all we know he could be listening to free form jazz the one second and the sex pistols the next.
Quote by jogogonne

Except for the fact that music theory is based around alterations of the major scale. So I'd say the major scale is rather important
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by cringer
I think you answer your first question by the follow-up question - yes you should learn.

Do you know why the C major scale might sound decent over C, F and G?
Do you know what notes the A minor scale and the C major scale have in common?

PS - whenever somebody asks if they should NOT learn something, I find it kinda strange. No offense meant. You not the only one.

its cool mman...liek i said ive just gotten into technical playing recently so im still really dumb about alot of stuff,i used to be a hardcore blues guy then wennt to southern rock, and then to pentatonic based metal....so i dont really know what to learn lol
i am learning alot of satch right now and i decided im gonna learn the major scale...alot of the melodies have a completely different feel to them.....

You all suck.
Quote by silent caution
When i was younger i used to pee in peoples shoes and blame their dog