Page 1 of 2
Just curious, is a Blackstar HT-5 a good beginner amp? Would it be better than say a Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt?

And which is better for practice and Thrash Metal

Thanks, I swear this is my last amp thread, I am just really nervous and I can't go to demo them YET.

And now that the question has arose, what about a Valvetronix
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Aug 26, 2010,
Get the Vypyr. Personally, I don't see the practicality of a 5 watt amp.
Honestly, if you're considering the Vypyr tube 60, and all you play is metal, the 6505+ 112 combo would be a better option.
Quote by xicetraex
Honestly, if you're considering the Vypyr tube 60, and all you play is metal, the 6505+ 112 combo would be a better option.
Well I don't JUST play Metal, the lightest I would ever go is probably Pink Floyd though.
Then the Vypyr tube 60 would be for you then. It sounds great at low volumes, and you can even do small/medium sized gigs with it.
Quote by xicetraex
Then the Vypyr tube 60 would be for you then. It sounds great at low volumes, and you can even do small/medium sized gigs with it.
my top five things I would play most often would go

Megadeth
Dream Theater
Led Zeppelin
Iced Earth
Pink Floyd
and either Black Sabbath or Symphony X

But mostly I like stuff like Megadeth
Quote by timbit2006
This is GB&C not GG&A.

*reported for move*
Uhhh... This is guitar Gear and Accessories...
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Uhhh... This is guitar Gear and Accessories...

It is now.
Wasn't before.

Go to GB&C and the thread has an arrow on it.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
It is now.
Wasn't before.

Go to GB&C and the thread has an arrow on it.
that's odd, I posted it here and I kept checking back in the same place...
I'm pretty sure it did not start here or I would have seen it. I didn't see it until got moved.

Either way, you are in the right pace.

I'm going to bed but maybe answer my questions and we can get you pointed. If you are strictly down to those two amps I'd probably lean toward the Vypyr.
I'd definitely go for the Vypyr. Even if I didn't think it sounded better than the HT-5

You're just starting out, something with a bunch of different sounds and effects is much better than 1 sound and no effects.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Vypyr 75 solid state amp will be a good choice since it has a lot more versatility than the HT-5. It doesn't sound any worse, either, in general. I'd probably avoid the valve model since it's stupidly loud and unecessary. Sounds good, though.

You should also look into the Vox Valvetronix range. They have excellent medium gain tones, perfect for stuff liked Black Sabbath and even Iced Earth. A solid range of effects are also availbale with specific models.
^ I don't know Dan. I've played both side by side at same volumes and the 60 sounds much better to my ears. Granted I was doing a lot of flipping thru the models but having power tube distortion for say the Twin setting or the Bad Cat setting is hyper nice. The fizzy 6505/XXX sounded the same
You think so?

I haven't played it at bedroom volumes, to be honest, so I can't say. I'm just making guesstimations.

In person, though, it looks really weird. Did you notice that? It looks like a car or something.
Yeah, it's the head version I was talking about. It was the one I played. It does look like Batman wings actually... gold batman wings. Curvy.... hmmmm
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Vypyr 75 solid state amp will be a good choice since it has a lot more versatility than the HT-5. It doesn't sound any worse, either, in general. I'd probably avoid the valve model since it's stupidly loud and unecessary. Sounds good, though.

You should also look into the Vox Valvetronix range. They have excellent medium gain tones, perfect for stuff liked Black Sabbath and even Iced Earth. A solid range of effects are also availbale with specific models.
Thanks, I'll look into the Vox stuff, always been interested in that since one of my friends did a cover of Hangar 18 with one and it sounded awesome.

I do want a tube though, as long as it doesn't have to be obnoxiously loud to sound good, I just figure it will save some money down the road for if I want a tube later and it will prove useful as I become a better guitar player.

Oh and, is there like a particular model of the Vox that would suit my needs while staying reasonably quiet and under budget (or equal to)?
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Aug 26, 2010,
The Vox Valvetronix range is pretty diverse. There is the DA5, VT15, VT30, VT100, all of which are practical for varying purposes, even gigging.

A VT30 is well within your budget, and is loud enough to cope with a drummer in a practise space. I used one for ages like that.

Technically the Valvetronix series is a valve amp, but it's more like a gimmick than anything, frankly. You wouldn't be able to tell there was one inside, that's what I'm saying.

The only true valve amp I would happily suggest for low volume practise, within your budget, easily procurred and copes with most styles is a Jet City 20H or combo. The HT-5 from Blackstar, to me, isn't a true valve amp. It just doesn't have the feel of one.

The idea of a valve is that they're reliable and sensitive. They're natural sounding and very organic. The Valvetonix, while it does a preamp valve inside, isn't a warm sounding amp. Neither is the HT-5 in my opinion. They don't sound bad in any way, just not 'truely valve'.
The Vox is not a thrash amp. Period.

They are good sounding amps for the price, but they are more low/mid gain. The Vypyr would be a much better choice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

They are good sounding amps for the price, but they are more low/mid gain. The Vypyr would be a much better choice.
I heard a few people on Youtube doing extremely good covers (tone wise at least) with a VT30

They were doing things like Enter Sandman (Sigh), Hangar 18, Dread and the Fugitive Mind, etc.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I heard a few people on Youtube doing extremely good covers (tone wise at least) with a VT30

They were doing things like Enter Sandman (Sigh), Hangar 18, Dread and the Fugitive Mind, etc.

Well, I've owned one, and I'm telling you it's not a metal amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get the blackstar and a boost , or a vypyr and san pera (optional).

Can't really go wrong
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by forsaknazrael
The VT series is a lot better for higher gain tones than the older ADVT series, IMO.

I dunno, I've had both (got a VT on a trade for pedals), I liked both amps, but I'd still rather have the Vypyr for high gain tones.

Both amps are pretty readily available though, not like it'd be hard to find both and try them out
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well, I've owned one, and I'm telling you it's not a metal amp
It's just that every time I look at demos and reviews for the Vypyr it sound more Prog/Metalcore-ish rather than Thrash, and as much as I love Prog that isn't ALL I am going to be playing.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
It's just that every time I look at demos and reviews for the Vypyr it sound more Prog/Metalcore-ish rather than Thrash, and as much as I love Prog that isn't ALL I am going to be playing.

Sure, it's more aimed at those tones, just because it's a Peavey and that's what they're known for, but it IMO can get a much better Thrash tone than the Vox. If it's any consolation, I've owned 2 Line 6 Vettas (Line 6's top of the line amp), and after having played a Vypyr 60, I thought the Vetta, which I loved at the time, just completely failed in comparison in every possible way.

Go try them both though, most big name places should have both, so it's easy enough for you to make a decision on either
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Sure, it's more aimed at those tones, just because it's a Peavey and that's what they're known for, but it IMO can get a much better Thrash tone than the Vox. If it's any consolation, I've owned 2 Line 6 Vettas (Line 6's top of the line amp), and after having played a Vypyr 60, I thought the Vetta, which I loved at the time, just completely failed in comparison in every possible way.

Go try them both though, most big name places should have both, so it's easy enough for you to make a decision on either
alright, thanks for the help, and if there are any other amps for HOPEFULLY under $400 to $500 please tell me.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
alright, thanks for the help, and if there are any other amps for HOPEFULLY under $400 to $500 please tell me.

There's quite a few good amps out there that I can think of in that price range - but as a beginner, I think going with a modeling amp will allow you to decide what tones and effects you like, then when you upgrade, you won't be wasting money on something you're not quite sure of. Plus, beginners often change playing styles, so you'll be happy in a few months if you decide that you want to be playing soft rock or something instead, and you're not stuck with an amp that can only do metal
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's quite a few good amps out there that I can think of in that price range - but as a beginner, I think going with a modeling amp will allow you to decide what tones and effects you like, then when you upgrade, you won't be wasting money on something you're not quite sure of. Plus, beginners often change playing styles, so you'll be happy in a few months if you decide that you want to be playing soft rock or something instead, and you're not stuck with an amp that can only do metal
Meh, I am not much for anything softer than the Beatles which I don't really plan on playing at all...

If I plan on playing music in a band it would be a Thrash Metal, Prog Metal, or Led Zep style hard Rock... So I doubt I would ever play soft rock...
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Meh, I am not much for anything softer than the Beatles which I don't really plan on playing at all...

If I plan on playing music in a band it would be a Thrash Metal, Prog Metal, or Led Zep style hard Rock... So I doubt I would ever play soft rock...

I wasn't saying you were actually going to play soft rock, I was just using it as an extreme example
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Unfortunately, for a new amp under $500 that can do metal (and possibly other stuff) there really are not too many more options that are worth it imo.

Jet City - maybe
B52 AT60 - def a decent amp at $360 new but hard to find. I see them used.
6505+112 - def a cool amp for $599 new - coupons.

If you do get the Vypyr you need to seriously consider the Sampera II footswitch (not the 1). Make it happen.

Used - open up new doors, which is why I asked about closest city before. Have you checked your craigslist for shits and grin
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw

UK 80's setting is perfect for thrash!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Unfortunately, for a new amp under $500 that can do metal (and possibly other stuff) there really are not too many more options that are worth it imo.

Jet City - maybe
B52 AT60 - def a decent amp at $360 new but hard to find. I see them used.
6505+112 - def a cool amp for $599 new - coupons.

If you do get the Vypyr you need to seriously consider the Sampera II footswitch (not the 1). Make it happen.

Used - open up new doors, which is why I asked about closest city before. Have you checked your craigslist for shits and grin
I could try Craigslist, I dunno.

Is the 6505 obnoxiously loud? I can't have it SUPER loud.
Ironic Maiden my man, what's up?! I'll chime in here:

xicetraex mentioned "practicality of a 5 watt amp". This guy doesn't know what he's talking about, feel free to ignore him. He also mentioned the 6505+ combo. It's a nice amp, bit noisy though. In my opinion, way too big in the bedroom. Remember, this is all tube.

I'm assuming you need a practice amp. You need an amp that sounds as good as possible at as low volumes as possible (or something to that effect). In that respect, the 6505+ is a no go for sure, as cranking up the pre-gain knob on that one will make it noisy (I've tried this on both the head and combo version with different guitars thank-you-very-much). For all intents and purposes, 5W from a tube amp is more than enough for bedroom level. And I've tried it plenty. I like my guitars to sound really warm. I play with Les Pauls and boost mids, I like it fat and rich. I can get GOOD TONES from my shoddy SS amp, believe it or not. I've tried a Laney VC-15 and a Blackstar HT-5 side by side. I liked the Laney more because it was more british voiced and warmer, but the Blackstar is a really good sounding amp in my opinion, and it is more versatile than the Laney. You can DEFINITELY play Megadeth and Dream Theater on them. I have managed some Van Halen with it too, I haven't tried anything softer though. Nice cleans, too.

From own personal experience, I will recommend the Blackstar HT-5. I would peronally choose the Laney over the Blackstar, but I feel the Blackstar nails the sound you are looking for better than the Laney. The only issue is that I've heard (note: HEARD) that the HT-5 has reliability issues.
What I play with:

A guitar
An amplifier
MY HANDS
Quote by Metallon

xicetraex mentioned "practicality of a 5 watt amp". This guy doesn't know what he's talking about, feel free to ignore him. He also mentioned the 6505+ combo. It's a nice amp, bit noisy though. In my opinion, way too big in the bedroom. Remember, this is all tube.

I'm assuming you need a practice amp. You need an amp that sounds as good as possible at as low volumes as possible (or something to that effect). In that respect, the 6505+ is a no go for sure, as cranking up the pre-gain knob on that one will make it noisy (I've tried this on both the head and combo version with different guitars thank-you-very-much). For all intents and purposes, 5W from a tube amp is more than enough for bedroom level. And I've tried it plenty. I like my guitars to sound really warm. I play with Les Pauls and boost mids, I like it fat and rich. I can get GOOD TONES from my shoddy SS amp, believe it or not. I've tried a Laney VC-15 and a Blackstar HT-5 side by side. I liked the Laney more because it was more british voiced and warmer, but the Blackstar is a really good sounding amp in my opinion, and it is more versatile than the Laney. You can DEFINITELY play Megadeth and Dream Theater on them. I have managed some Van Halen with it too, I haven't tried anything softer though. Nice cleans, too.

From own personal experience, I will recommend the Blackstar HT-5. I would peronally choose the Laney over the Blackstar, but I feel the Blackstar nails the sound you are looking for better than the Laney. The only issue is that I've heard (note: HEARD) that the HT-5 has reliability issues.
Holy crap, thanks for the wall of (Extremely Useful) text

But yeah I just need something that wont get TOO loud, I mean I am not worried about neighbors or anything but I have family that may be watching TV or something and wont want to here Hangar 18 right in their ears ( for some unknown reason ) when they are trying to hear something.

I think a Blackstar might be pretty good, and I mean I liked the Peavey and all, but it sounds really Metalcore or Prog oriented.

And by all means, if there is any other amp you would suggest, feel free to post or PM me, don't want to bump this thread too much because I just need to get off my ass and play some amps! But I plan on doing that next week.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by Metallon

I think your post is pretty spot on

I still personally would get a Vypyr 60 combo.

PS: I do not work for Peavey
I didn't want to suggest a Vypyr because the one I have tried I generally disliked. I'm the type of person that don't give a crap if it's transistor, digital, tube, moose or white bat droppings. As long as it sounds GOOD. I tried a few different Vypyrs. While not related, I did really like the Meshuggah preset on a Line 6 Spider I tried a few weeks ago.

When it comes to wattage, I think on a tube amp 5W is enough. 15W on anything else. I think my amp gets pretty damn loud at bedroom level when I have it at 5. I usually play with it on around 3, depending on what time of the day it is. And I mean LOUD. Like, I CANNOT have it at past 3 unless I'm home alone.
What I play with:

A guitar
An amplifier
MY HANDS
Page 1 of 2