Hey guys

So i've been able to get one guitar running directly into my computer to record in logic pro. My question is whether or not I'll be able to use 2 guitars in the same way using a splitter. Would the signal be too heavy and maybe blow out the soundcard or anything like that?
i dunno if its possible or not, but why would you want to do that
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
I haven't read your whole title or any of your post, but I believe that by reading the word macbook, your problem lies therein.
You might TRY it. But when I tried to plug 2 guitars into 1 pedal the signal was shit. I think it will NOT work. Since basically, you insert 2 signals into 1 signal input, which would make guitar sounds merge when played together, worth a try though.
Quote by MagicsDevil
I haven't read your whole title or any of your post, but I believe that by reading the word macbook, your problem lies therein.

F you, sir! F you very much!

On a more serious note:
I have a MacBook myself but haven't tried what you're suggesting. I guess it could work in theory?
So what you want to do is to run 2 guitars through a splitter?
Something like this:

stereo (MacLineIN) -> mono1 (guitar1), mono2 (guitar2)

Try it! The worst that could happen is total failure ^^

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
iv'e got the UX2 which i plug in too my macbookpro. that allows me to plug 2 guitars in at once :O . A cheapish mixer will do it.
GEAR
Schecter demon
Line 6 spider 3,75 watts
Line 6 UX2
Alvarez ad60sc
Fender Squire. Strat Acoustic
Fender standard Stratocaster
SOFTWARE
Logic Studio
Pod Farm 2
Quote by headburner3
iv'e got the UX2 which i plug in too my macbookpro. that allows me to plug 2 guitars in at once :O . A cheapish mixer will do it.

How is the UX2 btw?

I'm currently considering buying one. Does it have some good sound options (I need semi-highgain distortion for metal)?

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
Quote by MagicsDevil
F you too, good sir.
F you too.

Why thank you

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Randall RH150G3
Quote by MagicsDevil

As far as using a splitter, I see any combination of three things happening.
a.) Both signals degrade and sound like crap when played together.
b.) You blow the soundcard with too much input.
c.) You blow the speakers.

I'd go to a more computer-oriented site, to be honest. I doubt many people have tried this, so going to someone who would have the knowledge of the computer things themselves seems better to me.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
You can plug in as many instruments and inputs as you like so long as you have a half decent mixer with all the I/O you need or want.

The problem with using a splitter is that as stated above the signal will degrade, it will work but just not sound great and you will get a lot of clipping from the signal running too hot, I wouldn't recommend it. You could turn down the gain and the guitars volume if you need to but you'd be a lot better off buying something like one of the line 6 UX2. it was 2 1/4 inch in's and XLRs as well so if you find in the future you'd like to mic up your amp or record a vocal track for example you'd be sorted. It would save you loads of hassle and be way better in the long run.

To MagicsDevil. Yes Mac, that must be the problem. You know that must be why the majority of professional recording studios all use Mac and Mac based software. You know maybe you should go tell them that all this time they've been using the wrong computers. As of course we all know that a way more reliable, better built and more dedicated computer like a Mac is a stupid thing to use when recording and mixing for multi-million dollar artists and they should all start using Vista... You DICK!
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by MagicsDevil

Anywho I'm not sure if the UX1 would work, it has 2 inputs but one is for mic and the other is for guitar.

The UX2 might be better, since from the looks of it, it has two guitar inputs. But I'm not sure that's meant for the same reason TS wants it for.
sepultura alma speaks logically. I would not recommend using a splitter, because the two signals would simply merge into a single input reader. Although the only result might be poor sound blending, it might do some damage. The reason hardware like the Line 6 UX2 works is because each of the two guitar lines is fed separately under a controlled system. That's why each line can be manipulated individually.

(Btw, I highly recommend the UX2 for home recording)