Page 1 of 3
I don't get some of the pedals. Specifically Boss pedals, since they're completely overpriced for just such a simple effect.

I can get reverb, delay, chorus, tremolo effects for free with VSTs and sometimes they're even better since having more control options.

I see Boss's 3 Fender pedals. A spring reverb for 120 dollars? Seriously? I believe you can purchase Amplitube Fender for 99 bucks and it has those pedal effects and even more for less than those 3 pedals combined, which would be about 300 dollars.

I can't imagine getting a pedal unless it's unique or maybe a wah, or expression pedal. Maybe a whammy. It all seems like a big waste of money.

Is it even worth getting pedals anymore or are there pedals out there that really stand out?
Not everyone runs their guitar through a Mac and studio monitors. Some of us still use these crazy things called amps.

I will say though, when I'm recording, I do tend to let my VST's handle stuff like delay and reverb. But what about live? Pedals are definitely still a completely valid way of achieving your tone.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
What needs to happen is that there needs to be a VST hosting pedal, that would be genius. That is money well spent.
for one, when you let your guitar signal run through a digital interface, it cuts off frequencies above 22 khz, (assuming you're running at 44.1khz sample rate) which changes the way the guitar actually sounds. second, amplitube fender is by no means the same as using a real amp, is used to do the same, so i know what i'm talking about. third, and this is just me really, but i've never found using a digital rig like this is never reliable enough for live, plus you'd never be able to hear yourself using studio monitors, cause the're short throw speakers, and you won't be able to change sounds on the fly

note: my opinion
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by Clay-man
What needs to happen is that there needs to be a VST hosting pedal, that would be genius. That is money well spent.

There are reasons why people prefer analog, man.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
i personally prefer pedals over digital interfaces i like having a box i could plug between my guitar and amp with knobs on it also i never liked how my guitars sounded trought my computer having said that i prefer analog effect over digital
also live they are much better
imo
also i should mention i make most of my own effects pedals cause im cheap and its fun
Last edited by supersac at Aug 26, 2010,
I spent $200 on a spring reverb pedal.

I'd rather have my rig sound like I'm actually playing a guitar through an amp, kthx.
I get amps, but pedals, big deal? Maybe if it's a tube screamer or big muff yeah sure, because they're good unique pedals with a good purpose, but stuff with a simple effect at an expensive price is kind of dumb.

Analog? what about digital reverb and digital delay pedals and all that mumbo jumbo? Like I said I can get that for free, and a lot of times, it has better controls on a VST then a pedal.
Wow, this thread sure fails hard.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Clay-man
I get amps, but pedals, big deal? Maybe if it's a tube screamer or big muff yeah sure, because they're good unique pedals with a good purpose, but stuff with a simple effect at an expensive price is kind of dumb.

Analog? what about digital reverb and digital delay pedals and all that mumbo jumbo? Like I said I can get that for free, and a lot of times, it has better controls on a VST then a pedal.

because with digital reverbs and delays, the effect is digital, but the dry signal is still analog. with running your guitar through a digital interface and adding a vst effect, there is a noticable tone difference as well as latency caused by the A/D and D/A converters

Guitar Rig:
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
You know what fails? Buying a reverb pedal for 100 dollars when I could get it for free.

I am talking about pedals, not amps.
Like I said if there was a VST pedal it would be perfect.
Quote by Clay-man
You know what fails? Buying a reverb pedal for 100 dollars when I could get it for free.

What do you not understand about having a pedal to gig with and that they sound vastly nicer than free VSTs?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
analog>digital. Analog gives better tone then digital usually. And like viper_mike said a digital rig isn't that reliable. What if you were playing live and your VST's stop working for some unknown and weird reason and those VST's were key for a song so you then only get a regular guitar tone. You wouldn't last for long like that. And a $40 Boss distortion pedal which may not be superb quality by any means isn't that over priced.
They sound better? Really? Last time I checked I kept hearing a bunch of people saying stuff like "Metal Zone sucks ass" and that's a pedal. You really want a cheap effect with an expensive cost over a very customizable and controllable effect for a small price?
Quote by aguitar rampage
analog>digital. Analog gives better tone then digital usually. And like viper_mike said a digital rig isn't that reliable. What if you were playing live and your VST's stop working for some unknown and weird reason and those VST's were key for a song so you then only get a regular guitar tone. You wouldn't last for long like that. And a $40 Boss distortion pedal which may not be superb quality by any means isn't that over priced.

especially since vst is usally cubase effects, and i have cubase and i know how unreliable it can be with digital interfaces simply dropping out of sync randomly

Guitar Rig:
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Holy **** you're clueless if you think the Metal Zone is the epitome of stomp box distortions. And it's laughable that you think a $120 spring reverb sim pedal is overpriced when the real thing is upwards of $500.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
He also doesn't realize anything about how much (expensive) hardware would be required to run VSTs in pedal form. That's just one of the mega-fails in this thread.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
He also doesn't realize anything about how much (expensive) hardware would be required to run VSTs in pedal form. That's just one of the mega-fails in this thread.

exactly, cause cubase costs around 800 bucks if i remeber correctly, plus say a 200 dollar audio interface, plus you're gonna need some huge speakers to actually be able to hear yourself live

Guitar Rig:
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Sorry I guess I should rename this to "Are boss pedals even worth getting anymore?"
Quote by Clay-man

I know you are talking pedals and not amps - I threw that in there because there is so much misinformation on this board and I was still riled up over another thread (ok make that 7 or 8)

If a VST 'pedal' could accurately take on all the nuances of cables, effect order, batteries/power, mods, etc I'd consider it. As long as I still get a metal box to stomp on that DOES NOT take batteries
Quote by Clay-man
Sorry I guess I should rename this to "Are boss pedals even worth getting anymore?"

hahahah i feel like something was accomplished by everyone in this thread today
Quote by viper_mike
exactly, cause cubase costs around 800 bucks if i remeber correctly, plus say a 200 dollar audio interface, plus you're gonna need some huge speakers to actually be able to hear yourself live

And a computer too, and a decent desktop is upwards of $500 minimum
Quote by Clay-man

Yes, they are. Boss has made some great sounding pedals and they are always built to last a century. Eff this noise!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I heard about the V-pedal but I never heard of it being released, seen other pictures of it than promo pictures, or seen videos of people using it.

Is digital honestly that deteriorated compared to analog? I don't think it's that bad is it? Why would a 44khz go in 22khz, shouldn't it be called 22khz then?

You can just set the depth and rate higher.
Last edited by Clay-man at Aug 26, 2010,
Also you don't need cubase for VSTs. There are free VST hosting applications that are just fine for live performances.

The point of using VSTs instead of pedals is because I already have a computer so what's the point? I don't have that much money so why not get the cheaper route?
There's a few things pedals have over VST: portability, ease of use, and sometimes accessible sound quality.

I find with a VST you have to tweak FOREVER and try out a million different modules to get a decent sound, whereas with pedals, there's a lot less shit to wade through.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I don't get the digital debate, because most stuff is all digital now. Everyone uses CDs or MP3s, there's still some vinyl stuff but yeah.

So why not use digital when that's pretty much what it ends up to be in the end?

I have been using amp modeling all this time now because it sounds better than any physical or analog thing I have with me. Revalver's 6505 sounds better than my Peavey Bandit 112. Sounds better than my Boss DS-1. That doesn't mean I don't want a real 6505, but I don't shit money.

There are pedals that I'd love to have or that would be nice, but a person of my budget's logical choice is to go with something that sounds about just as good if not better, and doesn't cost anything or that much. I'm sure there's a way to make my VST rig good for a live set up.

I could send the output of my computer into a real amp/cab/system so people can hear it.

In my position I don't find it reasonable or purpose-filled to get generic effect pedals over what I can get on my computer. Maybe if I was someone who had easy money then yes, but I'm not.
Latency can be an issue, but there are some great devices that have only a pathetic amount to make it virtually unnoticeable, and therefor invalid.
well the reason vinyl went out is because a turntable was needed, and parts on the turntable would need to be replaced after use, and vinyl could be damaged if played wrong and would have to be maintained rather well. And VST's will not sound better than a real amp with a pedal, unless its an incredibly bad amp and pedal. And what if your hard drive broke and you lost everything. Thats a disadvantage of VST's.
Maybe not a VST amp simulator compared to a real amp, but a VST to a pedal, yes, unless it's honestly unique. I'm pretty sure it says "DIGITAL DELAY" on a lot of pedals, there might still be analog delay pedals, but what is the different of a digital delay pedal and a delay VST? Both are digital. That doesn't make sense.

I think some of this is coming from the fact that you wouldn't want a VST to replace your physical equipment because you're passionate about it.
You do know that vinyl is generally accepted as the highest quality way of listening to music, right?

EDIT: It was already explained what the difference was between a digital pedal and running it through a computer, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up again.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Aug 26, 2010,
I know that, that's what I said. I know people love Vinyl, but most people just use mp3's and CDs.

Vinyls are perfectly smooth in format, but then again a lot of artists are recording in DIGITAL. They are recording with COMPUTERS so how can putting a digital format on analog even do anything?

Edit: That comparison between digital pedals and computers was poor.
It's still the exact same thing pretty much. He said how the output is still analog, well so is the one from the computer, because how the hell are you going to hear it if it's still digital? All audio output to speakers is analog. That 22khz thing is bs.
Your VST probably isn't going to sound like an Eventide unit or an Empress Superdelay or any pedal at that tier. Even using digital recording, an analog delay and a digital delay are going to sound completely different.
Well if it's analog delay then that's a REASON to get the pedal. I'm talking about pedals that are digital their selves too.

How is a Digital Delay Pedal different from a Computer VST digital delay? It's not, except the computer one has more options then just feedback, time, and level.

And back to a comparison, How about Boss's Fender Spring Reverb vs Amplitube's Fender Spring Reverb?

They're both artificial and Amplitube costs less.
Listen,

I don't know what you are on about but you've created a thread/dialog that will go round and round and turn into a shitfest. We see it all the time.

If you want to just state you like VSTs for effects then great. Say it and walk away. Let's not start getting into all sorts of analogies. That goes for all of us.

Most of today's recordings are done that way because of all the layering, EQ'ing, compression, and treatment otherwise that people put into their albums. MP3s and CDs are the accepted 'take it with you' recyclable society that we live in. Most of us here just like to play our music and mess with our gear (which includes stomp boxes)

But if you already have a pedalboard, why would you add a computer to the mix when you could just get another pedal?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Clay-man

There is, kinda...

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor2.php

It's not a pedal, but it's midi controllable.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I have no pedal board at all. There will be pedals I will come across that I will obviously want, but in terms of generic effects then I guess it's better for me to use VSTs. I'm a computer guy so I guess that's why it's so great for me, because I know what to do on the computer.

I only got 3 pedals, all BOSS pedals because for some reason I thought Boss made the best, now I think they're overpriced pieces of shit. I have the DS-1 Distortion, HM-2 Heavy Metal, and AC-3 Acoustic Simulator because it was cheaper to use that as an acoustic on my electric.

The acoustic simulator is the only one I find useful, to record acoustic pieces easily without needing to buy microphones. Maybe the HM-2 because it can make some decent tones, but there's already an HM-2 style effect on Amplitube Metal that sounds decent too.

Quote by Mad Marius
There is, kinda...

http://www.museresearch.com/receptor2.php

It's not a pedal, but it's midi controllable.

Hm, I could maybe just use a laptop instead if it's that big.
Page 1 of 3