Hello, I'm looking into buying a new guitar, this guitar is my second guitar and will be my main guitar. I've been looking around and seeing alot of good guitars with floyd roses.

However, I mess around with the tuning a fair bit on my current guitar, and from what I've read Floyd Roses can be a real pain to downtune.

So, from your experience (or someone that you know/read about's experience), how long would it take to downtune the guitar from Standard to Drop B or anything in between?

Thanks,

MrpopoAwwyea
Last edited by MrpopoAwwyea at Aug 26, 2010,
Word of advice, whatever tuning you put the Floyd into when you set it up the first time, leave it there. Don't even change the string gauge. It's a pain in the ass to change tunings, and damn near impossible to do on the fly.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
I see, so generally, a Floyd Rose bridge is definately not what I'm looking for?

Thanks for your advice!
Quote by MrpopoAwwyea
I see, so generally, a Floyd Rose bridge is definately not what I'm looking for?

Thanks for your advice!

Not if you like to mess around with tunings, no. It's fun to play around with once you've got it tuned, but once you have it in a certain tuning, you never want to change it.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by kaosxrocker
Not if you like to mess around with tunings, no. It's fun to play around with once you've got it tuned, but once you have it in a certain tuning, you never want to change it.

Thanks for your help! I'll make sure not to get a floyd rose for the time being :P
Personally, I've never felt the need to retune as it's easy enough to simply change keys for a song in standard tuning and although I admit that alternative tunings can give a different vibe and other possibilities (like Drop D), it's not something that's ever really been needed in my playing. However, it seems to me that if it's your second guitar, you could always use the Floyd guitar for the tuning you use most and switch to the other guitar for all of your other requirements. Best of both worlds.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
You can always block it and be able to do all the drop tuning you want. It takes about 2 minutes to do and then you're set.

Or you can leave the back off of it and adjust the screws after you drop tune to get back into your key.

I love a floyd for the fine tuners and tremolo, but I'll admit, changing strings is a chore sometimes.
Standard to drop B? Assuming you mean E standard and not B standard, don't even attempt it. It's just not a good idea.

That said, I regularly go between E standard to drop D, by unlocking just one clamp, tuning down, and retuning. This takes maybe 3-4 minutes, making sure the rest of the strings are still in tune. For a while I had it set up so that with the fine tuner in all the way it was an E, but I could screw it out a bit and get to drop D without unclamping, but it made the action a little off so I stopped doing that.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
If you want to put it in Drop-D on the fly, get yourself an EVH D-Tuna:

Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
If you want to put it in Drop-D on the fly, get yourself an EVH D-Tuna:

I would like to get one of those for mine, but they are to expensive. Anyway, I always have at least one other guitar that I can do drop tunings with, because it isn't worth trying to do it with a Floyd.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)