Page 1 of 2
I got a Bugera 333XL awhile back, and the only complaint I had was that it fed back like crazy. So, I bought an ISP Decimator, thinking it would solve the problem. Well, I was right, but it created a whole new one. If I set it to a level that it stops the feedback, I get a ridiculous amount of volume loss and this weird fade in/out thing going on. What can I do to fix this?
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by kaosxrocker
I got a Bugera 333XL awhile back, and the only complaint I had was that it fed back like crazy. So, I bought an ISP Decimator, thinking it would solve the problem. Well, I was right, but it created a whole new one. If I set it to a level that it stops the feedback, I get a ridiculous amount of volume loss and this weird fade in/out thing going on. What can I do to fix this?

Sounds like you need to back off the gain
Quote by mmjohn
Sounds like you need to back off the gain

It's only at about half . Thing's got ridiculous amounts of gain.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
What about the volume on the guitar??
Quote by mmjohn
What about the volume on the guitar??

Doesn't make a difference until I have it on about 2, and by then the whole signal's pretty much nonexistent.

Quote by wolvenrick
Where are you setting the threshold on the Decimator?

Are you setting it so while the amp is feedbacking (is that even a word?), you turn the dial up until it stops... or are you setting the level as you're muting and releasing the strings on your guitar?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
What kinda guitar??.....is the isp up front or in the loop...
Quote by MatrixClaw
Where are you setting the threshold on the Decimator?

Are you setting it so while the amp is feedbacking (is that even a word?), you turn the dial up until it stops... or are you setting the level as you're muting and releasing the strings on your guitar?

I don't know the exact setting, but yes, i'm dialing it in while the amp's feeding back.

Quote by mmjohn
What kinda guitar??.....is the isp up front or in the loop...

It's a Razorback, and the Decimator's in the loop

Quote by wolvenrick
Try the isp as the last thing in front of ur amp.....my isp worked great in the loop of my stiletto...but works better up front on my JCM 2000.....how close to the amp are u???
Quote by mmjohn
Try the isp as the last thing in front of ur amp.....my isp worked great in the loop of my stiletto...but works better up front on my JCM 2000.....how close to the amp are u???

Pretty close, usually, but it still happens regardless of which way I'm facing or if I'm as far away as I can get.

Quote by wolvenrick
Bro ya gotta stick it in front of your amp! Putting it in the loop removes hum and buzz from the amp, not so much feedback.
It'll be much more effective in the front.
Also, you likely won't be able to get rid of ALL of the feedback without cutting some sustain, but you'll definitely be able to get 90% of it.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Do NOT adjust it WHILE it's feeding back!!!

Roll off your guitars volume and set the pedal to about 2:00 (-20)
roll your guitar volume back on...slowly turn the control on the decimator counter clockwise until you start getting feedback. now go back a little bit (mute the strings).

Honestly, the best thing to do is get a 2nd decimator for the front of the amp to control feedback, and keep the one in your loop to cut out the noise of the pre-amp (and NOTHING more).

Or get the Decimator G string.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by kaosxrocker
I don't know the exact setting, but yes, i'm dialing it in while the amp's feeding back.

You're doing it wrong then.

You're setting up the threshhold too high, you want to get rid of the point of which uncontrollable feedback comes in, not the feedback itself. Usually, this point is a little less than halfway on the dial.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Have you tried a different guitar....what effects are you using.....could be a microphonic tube.
Quote by mmjohn
Have you tried a different guitar....what effects are you using.....could be a microphonic tube.

^Bingo on this. The amp should NOT be feeding back like crazy. You've probably got a bad preamp tube. Tap on each with a pencil eraser and you'll immediately find the offender, then swap it out.
+1 to the microphonic tube idea. If the stock tubes are still in I wouldn't be surprised if it was the tubes. They are pretty shit to begin with.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by mmjohn

I'm not using any effects. Plugged straight into the amp. Pretty sure it's not a microphonic tube, as I've done the test several times and gotten nothing.

Quote by wolvenrick
Try changing the battery in your decimator, its the simplest thing but it might do the trick.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by blything09
Try changing the battery in your decimator, its the simplest thing but it might do the trick.

I've got it hooked up to a 9v power supply, there is no battery lol

Quote by wolvenrick
If it's set any higher than about -40, then that's the problem.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Have you tried another guitar.....pickups and become microphonic also. it sounds like an amp issue..not a pedal issue.....
Quote by mmjohn
Have you tried another guitar.....pickups and become microphonic also. it sounds like an amp issue..not a pedal issue.....

No, I haven't. But I'd imagine that it takes quite a lot longer than 7 months for a pickup to become microphonic.

Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by kaosxrocker
No, I haven't. But I'd imagine that it takes quite a lot longer than 7 months for a pickup to become microphonic.

Nope.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nope.

Huh. Well then that might be it. I'll try using a different guitar when I can play again. Apparently I have tendinitis, so I'll be sitting on the sidelines for awhile

Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by kaosxrocker

Try talking into the pickup. The more audible your voice, the more microphonic the pickup is.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've bought a new JB that was micrphonic.....talking to SD customer support they said its quite common. Store put the shiny new pickups in a display and if it hot enuff it will melt the parafin wax and bingo....
Quote by Raijouta
Try talking into the pickup. The more audible your voice, the more microphonic the pickup is.

Alright, that much I can still do

Also, it's good to know that there's at least one other person from the Portland area on UG

Quote by wolvenrick
id say its most likely the tubes, swap some 12ax7s around if you can, get new ones etc. it doesnt seem to me like this would be because of power tubes, but i could be wrong.

also, TS, xda? :p
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
you could be looking at a microphonic preamp tube (if so, you're going into feedback nearly all the time, like anytime you sustain a note. if not, then pre tubes are good). do the eraser test.

could be a microphonic pickup... shit happens. the guys have already explained what to do to test it.

...but as far as your decimator goes, you are DEFINATELY setting the threshold too low!!!
Quote by GrisKy
you could be looking at a microphonic preamp tube (if so, you're going into feedback nearly all the time, like anytime you sustain a note. if not, then pre tubes are good). do the eraser test.

could be a microphonic pickup... shit happens. the guys have already explained what to do to test it.

...but as far as your decimator goes, you are DEFINATELY setting the threshold too low!!!

Too low? I wanna say it's close to 0dB. Thought that was way too high?

Quote by wolvenrick
0dB is way WAY way too high. Back it down to around -30 to -40!!!
And don't stand with the guitar facing the amp.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
0dB is way WAY way too high. Back it down to around -30 to -40!!!
And don't stand with the guitar facing the amp.

Never do. My back or side is always to the amp. And it was actually at something like -15dB.

Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by kaosxrocker
Never do. My back or side is always to the amp. And it was actually at something like -15dB.

Its got one knob.....dude the feed back ur talking about is not normal....the isp won't help till you figure out why ur getting so much feed back....
Quote by mmjohn
Its got one knob.....dude the feed back ur talking about is not normal....the isp won't help till you figure out why ur getting so much feed back....

If it is the amp, would it feed back at lower volumes?

Quote by wolvenrick
at lower volumes it shouldnt feed back. i mean low volume like guitar center is about to close volume
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
at lower volumes it shouldnt feed back. i mean low volume like guitar center is about to close volume

But if it's a problem with the amp, wouldn't it be far more prone to feedback?

Quote by wolvenrick
How loud are u cranking it 11??
Quote by mmjohn
How loud are u cranking it 11??

Kay, apparently I forgot all my settings while I was away from it

Gain's at 3 o'clock, volume's at 7-8 o'clock.

Quote by wolvenrick
Quote by kaosxrocker
Too low? I wanna say it's close to 0dB. Thought that was way too high?

yup, sorry, i was distracted.
What happens when u back of the gain to 1 o'clock......