Downloaded the Amplitube App the other day and got me an iRig adapter...

I am well aware that in the world of Multi-FX you have to spend a right wad of cash to get really good sounds and even then it wont be as good as the real thing... however, just to test out sounds and to mess around, I think stuff like this has its place...

Anyway, the reason for the thread is to comment that I genuinely think the sounds from this application and small adapter (coming in at a total price of around £30 - assuming you don't have to also buy an iPhone / iPad) are just as good as from my Line6 Pod XT, for a fraction of the cost!

Also, I think its a hell of a better interface and much more intuitive!

Anyone else had a go yet? what do people reckon?
I have Amplitube 3 for the computer. This seems like it would be really cool. You could probably use it as a pedal. So I guess you really can use a VST, at least Amplitube, as a pedal in a live gig.
True, although I haven't figured the proper way of connecting it to my amp yet...

the FAQ says:

IMPORTANT: To avoid feedback ALWAYS use 1/8” stereo jack to 2 x RCA or 2x 1/4” MONO jack cables to connect to amplifiers, powered speakers or mixers. NEVER use STEREO headphone 1/8” to 1/4” adapters or splitters

can't quite get my head around that, the output is 1/8" stereo and my amp input is 1/4" so not quite sure how to not do what it says
SooTyLad, I believe the reason for that statement is because an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter will be stereo on ends. Then the average person will take a mono instrument cable and plug it into the stereo adapter causing a short on one of the signals. So they are explicitly telling you to make sure the stereo signals are coming out into separate connectors to prevent an improper connection.
ahh, so what kindof cable to I need? a 2.5mm to 2 x 6.35mm cable and disregard either the left or right?

or can I get a 2.5mm mono to 6.35mm mono?
Its defo on my to buy list. I play Amplitube 3 through my laptop > Sony hi-fi sometimes and am very happy with the sounds. There are better options for hi gain stuff but the clean effects are nice.
Quote by SooTyLaD
ahh, so what kindof cable to I need? a 2.5mm to 2 x 6.35mm cable and disregard either the left or right?

or can I get a 2.5mm mono to 6.35mm mono?
Just disregard the left or right. Putting a 2.5 mono into a 2.5 stereo output is likely to create the same problem you are trying to avoid.
Quote by Clay-man
I have Amplitube 3 for the computer. This seems like it would be really cool. You could probably use it as a pedal. So I guess you really can use a VST, at least Amplitube, as a pedal in a live gig.

What?

Dude, you have no idea how these computer modeling programs work do you? How can you use it as a pedal in a live rig?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What?

Dude, you have no idea how these computer modeling programs work do you? How can you use it as a pedal in a live rig?

take off your shoes and put the ipad on the floor? lololololol. a picture of that would be better than the krank rev jr pedal
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You could do this:

Guitar -> Bypass Loop In -> Laptop/iThing (I don't have iThings, so I don't know if it would work for them) -> Bypass Loop Out -> Pedals/Amp

You'd have to have the program already set up though
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
"Um sir my iPad screen broke." "How"d you do that" "Well i was being cheap and i decide to use my iPad as a guitar effects pedal" "Yea...... we don't cover that"
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What?

If you can bypass the amplifier, and the cabinet on the program like on Amplitube 3, you could probably plug the beginning or your guitar into the ipod input, then put the output on a converter to the rest of your pedals, or your amp.

There you go. How hard is that man?
Although I feel an iPad and Amplitube have no place on stage:

(from the official site)

If you want to connect the iRig to a real amp you can do that easily as well: plug the iRig output directly into your amplifier input and bypass the AmpliTube amp+cab module. Now you can use your iPhone as your effects pedalboard!

So it is doable
One day thee will be a lot of guitarists playing through laptops on stage as their main rig. With midi foot switches and multi outs for the PA.

I have amplitude 3 on my desktop. If it's monitored through a good stereo amp and proper speakers through a good interface, it sounds pretty good to me. I use it mostly for playing along to backing tracks through my stereo because it mixes in good.

I pretty much always mic my amps when I record though.
Jordan Rudess already uses the shit out of his iphone for keyboard effects, so can imagine guitarists doing the same with their guitar setup.

Amplitube has some decent effects, and like I said before in another thread it would be cool to have a VST pedal, because I personally found some pretty good VSTs at least in my opinion. Maybe there will end up being a VST host for the iphone/ipad.
Got a question for folks that understand this gubbins, with reference to what we were talking about with connecting to an amp and bypassing the amp modelling (hence using amplitube as a pedalboard) - is using a 3.5mm stereo to 2 x 6.3mm mono cable and disregarding either the left or right (assume they are both the same) the same as using a 3.5mm stereo to 6.3mm mono adapter? do both channels get merged in something like that, and is this a problem?

Just don't want anything degrading my sound thats all - and a straight stereo - mono cable is the neatest option
'93 Gibson Les Paul Special (Heritage Cherry) - modded with SD P90s (Vintage & Hot)
'06 Yamaha RGX520FZ (Translucent Dark Red)
Laney VC15 (Ltd. Edition Old English White)
Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1
Quote by Clay-man
If you can bypass the amplifier, and the cabinet on the program like on Amplitube 3, you could probably plug the beginning or your guitar into the ipod input, then put the output on a converter to the rest of your pedals, or your amp.

There you go. How hard is that man?

More hassle than getting pedals man. How thick are you?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
More hassle than getting pedals man. How thick are you?
The entire Amplitube/iRig setup costs under £30 mate (assuming you have an iPhone or iPad), you sound like a right spanner making comments like that.

Besides which, its one lead in and one lead out... for up to four daisy chained pedals, so the hassle is negligible (if not less) but the savings are substantial.
'93 Gibson Les Paul Special (Heritage Cherry) - modded with SD P90s (Vintage & Hot)
Boss DS-1
Last edited by SooTyLaD at Sep 1, 2010,
Quote by SooTyLaD
The entire Amplitube/iRig setup costs under £30 mate (assuming you have an iPhone or iPad), you sound like a right spanner making comments like that.

Besides which, its one lead in and one lead out... for up to four daisy chained pedals.

Sod off, I wasn't talking about Amplitube as a whole. I OWN Amplitube. Not to mention running the damn thing in front of an amp wouldn't sound so good either. I was merely stating that what he wanted to do would be a lot more work and hassle than buying pedals.

Eat me.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Eat you?
Boss DS-1
Quote by SooTyLaD
Eat you?

Please and thank you.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Now look what you've done SH33PBR33D3R, you've drawn the attention away from my important question!

So here it is again

Quote by SooTyLaD
Got a question for folks that understand this gubbins, with reference to what we were talking about with connecting to an amp and bypassing the amp modelling (hence using amplitube as a pedalboard) - is using a 3.5mm stereo to 2 x 6.3mm mono cable and disregarding either the left or right (assume they are both the same) the same as using a 3.5mm stereo to 6.3mm mono adapter? do both channels get merged in something like that, and is this a problem?

Just don't want anything degrading my sound thats all - and a straight stereo - mono cable is the neatest option
Boss DS-1
Last edited by SooTyLaD at Sep 1, 2010,
There is no merging of the channels in a cable other than possibly shorting the channels togeather. Your best bet is to avoid shorting the cable as the original post said there were explicit instructions to not do that. Use a stereo to mono splitter.