Hello,

So I recently bought a set of Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies - .11 - .54 so that I could play in tunings such as Drop C and Drop B.

My problem is, my guitar keeps on tuning itself to Drop C. So, if I tune down to Drop B, it'll tune itself up, and if I tune to Drop D, it'll detune itself to Drop C.

Why is this happening? Is this something I've done wrong whilst putting the strings on my guitar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by guitar ben94 at Aug 26, 2010,
What kind of guitar is it? Particularly the bridge
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
My guess is that your trem is set up to be floating and the springs underneath need to be adjusted to compensate for your tuning. If the springs are too tight then they will keep pulling your trem down and pulling your strings out which means it will drop in tune. If the springs are too loose then the opposite will happen and it will raise in tune.

If you have a floating trem you need to set it up correctly for it to stay in tune properly.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Sorry, but how do I adjust my trem?

Will doing so enable me to change tuning and keep in that tuning until I change it again?
Quote by guitar ben94
Sorry, but how do I adjust my trem?

Will doing so enable me to change tuning and keep in that tuning until I change it again?

First of all stop adding sorry in your sentences. You are asking for advice and we are giving it nothing to be sorry about.

Basically if you have a trem/floating bridge, you have springs in the back balancing the tension of the springs in the front. So you have open the back panel first. Then loosen or tighten the springs according to your tuning need. Tighten them if you need to go down of loosen them if you are going up. After you've handled your springs, handle your strings. I have found that tuning in pairs of strings really helps a lot. Like tune the e and E, then B and A, and finally G and D. And tune till you achieve you desired tuning. A little adjustment of springs MAY be required in the middle of tuning. But here's the problem, if you drop tuning half a step you don't really need to adjust the springs, it only requires to do so when you are tuning a whole step or more. And once you change the tuning, you are stuck with it for a while till you change with the aforementioned method.
Quote by Heminator89
First of all stop adding sorry in your sentences. You are asking for advice and we are giving it nothing to be sorry about.

Basically if you have a trem/floating bridge, you have springs in the back balancing the tension of the springs in the front. So you have open the back panel first. Then loosen or tighten the springs according to your tuning need. Tighten them if you need to go down of loosen them if you are going up. After you've handled your springs, handle your strings. I have found that tuning in pairs of strings really helps a lot. Like tune the e and E, then B and A, and finally G and D. And tune till you achieve you desired tuning. A little adjustment of springs MAY be required in the middle of tuning. But here's the problem, if you drop tuning half a step you don't really need to adjust the springs, it only requires to do so when you are tuning a whole step or more. And once you change the tuning, you are stuck with it for a while till you change with the aforementioned method.

Thank-you so much for the help.

One thing I don't understand though. With my first set of strings (the ones that came with the guitar), whenever I changed the tuning, it stayed it that tuning without me doing anything. Why isn't that happening now?