Basically coming into some money, about £900ish
and thought an almost completely new rig is in order
so at the moment the plan is to get a

Peavey 5150 2x12
Mxr 10 band Eq
Isp decimator
Shure Sm57 (always needed a decent mic and i've started recorded my bands own demo's)
and a set of valves so i don't have to worry about the stock ones dying
suggestions on valves would also be appreciated

i plan to keep my guitar which is a ibanez sas32exfm as i really like the way it plays but maybe some new pickups are in order?

now are there any items in there that i could add to enhance it or something that won't be of any use to me
My bands new song is on my profile to give you an idea of the kind of stuff i play but think metalcore and stuff

Any help would be appreciated thankss
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Last edited by josh_salty at Aug 26, 2010,
tbh i dont think you would need the EQ the only reason i have one is because i chose the wrong amp for my style of music.
i dont know anything about the 5150 but if it gets recomended for your type of music you wont need the EQ.

thats just my opinion though =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Seems good, but I would get a 5150 head and cab seperate.
Unlike Dave Frenzy I'd keep the EQ, or switch it for an overdrive.
Quote by mitchibanez
Seems good, but I would get a 5150 head and cab seperate.
Unlike Dave Frenzy I'd keep the EQ, or switch it for an overdrive.

i guess it depends on what you intend to use it for, i got one because my amp sounds S**T without it so it is constantly turned on.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Dave Frenzy
i guess it depends on what you intend to use it for, i got one because my amp sounds S**T without it so it is constantly turned on.

He mentioned he played metalcore, an EQ or OD is very good for tightening the low end so I figured it'd be useful.
Quote by mitchibanez
He mentioned he played metalcore, an EQ or OD is very good for tightening the low end so I figured it'd be useful.

yeah you are right, i guess what he needs to do is buy the amp first and see what it sounds like without the EQ instead of buying it all at once. it would be a waste of money to buy it all at once only to realise you dont really need it.

btw Ebay for the EQ, mine was £70... £130 off the RRP =)
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Dave Frenzy
yeah you are right, i guess what he needs to do is buy the amp first and see what it sounds like without the EQ instead of buying it all at once. it would be a waste of money to buy it all at once only to realise you dont really need it.

btw Ebay for the EQ, mine was £70... £130 off the RRP =)

Very true, gotta try it all in the shop to see if he can work with it and if he likes how it sounds. Can't buy anything without actually hearing it. Buying based on reviews is scary!
Whats your current rig?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Instead of the EQ, I';d probably be looking at an overdrive/boost.

As for spare tubes, I suggest a good set of 6L6s (JJ or Ruby should sound great) and one or two good quality preamp tubes, then as soon as the amp arrives, replace the stock tubes with the new ones and keep the stock ones as spares.

Finally, have you thought about getting a separate head and cab instead of the combo?
2x12 combos are really heavy and awkward, and you'll lose a lot of the flexibility.
Metal amps generally sound best with totally solid, airtight cabs and that's simply not possible with a combo.
Have a think about it; I assume from your budget that you're buying used, so a head+cab makes more sense and gives you lots more options. You can even get a brand new V30-loaded cab for £150ish, if nothing good comes up on eBay.

Truthfully for £900 I doubt you'll get everything you've listed. A 5150/6505 goes for between £600-£700 used and then you're talking £150+ for the cab, should leave you just enough for new tubes.
^ thats why i've suggested the 2x12 as a local store has one in that i could haggle down to £500 and i'l be buying everything but the tubes used if i can to save extra money i was thinking JJ's
oh and i have an OD already so the Eq may not be as useful?
my current rig is the ibanez into a line 6 flextone
so this is a huge improvement
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

What OD do you currently have?
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
boss sd-1 its not brilliant but it does the job and only cost £30
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

I'd say drop the EQ, you probably won't need it, and pick up a Maxon 808 in its place. You should be all set for metalcore goodness.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
I'd definitely get a boost instead of the EQ, you'll use it a lot more, or at least I do. I've used my MXR 10 band like 5 times and use my OD-808 all the time

I'd definitely go with a head with 2x12 cab instead. The 5150 head sounds a lot better than the combo IMO, plus the combo weighs a ****ton and is not fun at all to move, plus if you ever get rid of the head, you already have a cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
cool i think i'll get a better OD then rather than an EQ. i'll see what i can do about getting hold of a head instead but the combo is easily available so if in a few weeks nothings turned up i'll probably get the combo
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

Quote by josh_salty
cool i think i'll get a better OD then rather than an EQ. i'll see what i can do about getting hold of a head instead but the combo is easily available so if in a few weeks nothings turned up i'll probably get the combo

Theres been shit loads on ebay recently, all mint ish condition 5150's and 6505's going from £450 - £600+

Just a little dry atm tho
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals