Like when a pro artist does a painting. Do they paint just one and then print multiple copies. Or do they themselfs paint the same picture over and over again?

How do you even buy art?

yes i'm an idiot..
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
they paint a picture once, and that picture is duplicated, either by other artists (there are professional "painting duplicators" that are sold as copies or restaurations to museums), or by machines that are distributed as prints for normal people.

Art galleries sell paintings, there was an art gallery near my place in Berlin where you could buy a bunch of original Chet Zar paintings.

EDIT: I would've bought one, but they were like 1200 bucks, and I had no monies. One day I'm gonna save up and get one, though. They're amazing.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 26, 2010,
They paint one, and the rest are printed copies of course,
if they were painting each and every one of them by hand, the pictures would have costed thousands and most people wouldn't be able to afford them.
Quote by CoreysMonster
they paint a picture once, and that picture is duplicated, either by other artists (there are professional "painting duplicators" that are sold as copies or restaurations to museums), or by machines that are distributed as prints for normal people.

Art galleries sell paintings, there was an art gallery near my place in Berlin where you could buy a bunch of original Chet Zar paintings.

EDIT: I would've bought one, but they were like 1200 bucks, and I had no monies. One day I'm gonna save up and get one, though. They're amazing.

This.

It's split into like

Original (one off)

Copies (Can be any amount, usually around 14 I believe but don't quote me on it)

Prints that are mass produced.

My dad has a copy of a Rolf Harris painting, it's number like 8 of 14, worth a fair bit.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by BlackCube
They paint one, and the rest are printed copies of course,
if they were painting each and every one of them by hand, the pictures would have costed thousands and most people wouldn't be able to afford them.

So how on earth do Renaissance masters get hold of a printer?? :S

How do we even know of their paintings??
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
Quote by extrememetal94

Because the originals were kept until eventually found, and put into the process of mass production.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by extrememetal94

because they still exist today. There are tons of museums with paintings that are centuries old, and though parts of them have lost their color, that's where art restaurators come in. They re-paint the parts of the pictures that are either burnt or have deteriorated over time.
Quote by CoreysMonster
because they still exist today. There are tons of museums with paintings that are centuries old, and though parts of them have lost their color, that's where art restaurators come in. They re-paint the parts of the pictures that are either burnt or have deteriorated over time.

So how much would an average painting by a surreal great like Salvador Dali cost me? LOL.. must be pretty harsh on the pocket..
Quote by vivalasteve
Most paintings get duplicated so people can have copies. But original paintings from great artists go for a lot. I mean really. A coulpe weeks ago a painting by portuguese paiter Paula Rego went for abou 250 thousand euros. Something around that.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Quote by extrememetal94
So how much would an average painting by a surreal great like Salvador Dali cost me? LOL.. must be pretty harsh on the pocket..

an original?

You could buy a house for that amount of money.

A simple printing of the painting?

About 20 bucks, give or take.

EDIT: http://www.dali-gallery.com/posters/index.htm

yup, anywhere from 10 - 25 dollars.
Quote by extrememetal94

Ah, Dali... That would leave you without a pocket...or any clothes...actually without any material possessions, because you would have to sell them all to afford it.

EDIT: Im referring to an original of course

Im sure you could pick up a really good copy for somewhere between $700-$1200 and a reprint for $150 or so. They make posters though, as stated above me, and those are cheap.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Last edited by racman92 at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by extrememetal94

No-one's selling original Dali's these days- unless they want to lose up to 70% of what they originally paid for it. Dali's works have actually depreciated in value since his death. So the questions isn't "how much can I get a Dali for?", it's "where the HELL can I get a Dali from?"
Quote by extrememetal94
Like when a pro artist does a painting. Do they paint just one and then print multiple copies. Or do they themselfs paint the same picture over and over again?

How do you even buy art?

yes i'm an idiot..

Art is totally subjective, i could piss in the snow and someone would call it art.
I would be genuinely annoyed at you if you bought an original Dali work for yourself. His stuff should be in a gallery where everyone can see it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No-one's selling original Dali's these days- unless they want to lose up to 70% of what they originally paid for it. Dali's works have actually depreciated in value since his death. So the questions isn't "how much can I get a Dali for?", it's "where the HELL can I get a Dali from?"

you could always get 11 guys and stage an elaborate heist to get the painting >.>

Quote by whalepudding
I would be genuinely annoyed at you if you bought an original Dali work for yourself. His stuff should be in a gallery where everyone can see it.

Isn't that what most people who own paintings do, anyways? Rent the paintings to museums and get paid for it being hung there?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 26, 2010,