I'm replacing the tubes in my Marshall DSL401, on the website, it says that the power tubes are EL84s, so I was gonna get some, but I've just had a look at the valves in the amp, and it says this on them, "Marshall Valve 00026" Then underneath says "WK04125" what kind of tubes are these? I bought it second hand so I'm not sure, are these EL84s? Or have they been replaced cos I want to keep the same sound I had.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
They'll be generic el cheapo valves probably, though Marshall have been known to use rebranded Svetlana and stuff.

Get a set of JJs and you should get some improvement in the sound.
So just to double check, say if these aren't EL84s, I can still put EL84s in i right? Sorry, I'm still a bit new to tube amps. And also, if I'm getting matched tubes, do I really need to get it biased?
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Quote by adambauman31
i thought marshall typically used el34s but i could be wrong.

They do, but the dsl 401, since it is only 40W, uses 4x el84s instead. Pretty much the same sound, though.
Doesnt 4 el84s generally put out like 30 watts? Wats with that...

I wouldnt say el84s sound the same as el34s though.

But el84s arent really interchangable with any other valve type (besides a few obsecure ones). So yeah. Just get el84s.
Most EL84 amps don't need biasing but unfortunately, the DSL40 does.

You can either buy the tubes yourself (Watford Valves does a great deal on JJ EL84s, ~£7 each) and then get a tech to fit and bias them, or just give the amp to the tech and they'll use their own stock of tubes.
How much does it cost roughly to have an amp biased?
Quote by hardrockerdave9

It will vary from store to store buddy, just call your local techy and ask them for a quote.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by hardrockerdave9

I've not been to a tech in some time but I would guess around £60 including tubes.

You can 'plug and play' without biasing, and the amp will work fine. However this may introduce tone issues and the tubes aren't likely to last as long.

Biasing by no means essential, in that you almost certainly won't damage your amp or anything dramatic, but it's highly recommended.
Quote by kyle62
They'll be generic el cheapo valves probably, though Marshall have been known to use rebranded Svetlana and stuff.

Get a set of JJs and you should get some improvement in the sound.

Now Svetlanas are Sovteks. It's another of the old trademarks they bought.
Didn't DSL's use Chinese valves?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by beckyjc
Doesnt 4 el84s generally put out like 30 watts? Wats with that...

I wouldnt say el84s sound the same as el34s though.

But el84s arent really interchangable with any other valve type (besides a few obsecure ones). So yeah. Just get el84s.

extreme biasing makes the 4 EL84s ---> 40W.
i wonder why marshall decided on using 84's for the 2000 circuits... beats me.
Quote by AJDrac
Pretty much the same sound, though.

Not really, the 401 is weak in comparison to the heads.

Quote by stykerwolf
extreme biasing makes the 4 EL84s ---> 40W.
i wonder why marshall decided on using 84's for the 2000 circuits... beats me.

Only the 401 combo has them. Why? I have no idea, maybe cost?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com