Ok Pit I have a challenge for all you video conversion wizards out there!

I have just recorded a 4 minute video with my webcam and the result is a 1.5GB file that does not seem to have a file extension (.avi .wmv .mp4 etc). It opens in WMP though and I can watch it there.
Now, my problem is that I need to convert it into .avi or something similar to import it into Windows Movie Maker and add an audio file to it. However no matter what I try the newly converted file becomes 15-20 secs shorter than the original and thus I cannot sync it with the audio properly.

So does anyone with knowledge of video conversion know any solutions to my problem?
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Record it again with a program that doesn't make it a 1.5gig file with no file extention.

I trust you've already tried using another program to convert it?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Well, it does have a file extension; Windows just hides the extensions of files it knows. You can change that setting to show all file extensions, or you can right-click it, hit properties, go to the details tab, and under the file section it will tell you what type of file it is.

I'm sure knowing the file extension will aid in the conversion process

Also, I find it strange that you can watch the video in WMP yet Windows Movie Maker won't open it. You have tried to import it into WMM, right?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by tobysaurus

I have just recorded a 4 minute video with my webcam.

*Giggles*
YNWA
Quote by Burgery
I trust you've already tried using another program to convert it?

I have tried a few now, all have the same problem

Quote by *kill'emall*
Well, it does have a file extension; Windows just hides the extensions of files it knows. You can change that setting to show all file extensions, or you can right-click it, hit properties, go to the details tab, and under the file section it will tell you what type of file it is. I'm sure knowing the file extension will aid in the conversion process Also, I find it strange that you can watch the video in WMP yet Windows Movie Maker won't open it. You have tried to import it into WMM, right?

Well in properties it says the file extension is 'File'.
and yeah, tried importing into WMM it won't open it
Quote by Monolith295

Quote by Kensai

Quote by CFH82
When you record it, be sure to know in wich format you are doing it.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Try renaming the file and put a .avi, .mp4 etc. You could also try to use some other program than WMM, as the programs that come with Windows are pretty bad.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
First delete it. Then delete it from your recycle bin. Shut down computer. Toss it out window.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Burgery
Try renaming the file and put a .avi, .mp4 etc. You could also try to use some other program than WMM, as the programs that come with Windows are pretty bad.

Congratulations, you win!
Quote by Monolith295

Quote by Kensai

Quote by CFH82
Quote by tobysaurus
Congratulations, you win!

I win?

Awesome!

Edit: So did I actually win? Because you can't take that back, I already sigged it
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by Burgery
I win?

Awesome!

Edit: So did I actually win? Because you can't take that back, I already sigged it

Haha, yes! Your idea worked so you win
Quote by Monolith295

Quote by Kensai

Quote by CFH82
Quote by King Of Suede
First delete it. Then delete it from your recycle bin. Shut down computer. Toss it out window.

I don't know why, but that really cracked me up

Why is a 4 minute video 1.5 GB?

Is it fullscreen?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
Why is a 4 minute video 1.5 GB?

Is it fullscreen?

Thank you. I thought I was the only one being bothered by that. I have full length movies on my HD that aren't even 1GB, what the hell did you do?
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Come to think of it, it's probably an uncompressed avi, because I have some HUGE avi files on my computer that aren't even a minute long.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.