Right the MG takes alot of stick from people saying its a terrible amp... What about the MA series

I was thinking about buying a Marshall MA50H with a 4x12 cab

I play Alternative, Punk, Metal and Blues
Guitars
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Vintage V99CS
Eastwood Acoustic

Amps and Pedals
Blackstar HT-5R Stack
Digitech Bad Monkey
Korg PitchBlack

i thought the dsl amps sounded lightyears better than the MA amps honestly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The MA series amplifiers are geared toward high-gain tones. A lot of people on this forum don't like them, but then again a lot of people around here don't like Marshall amps for one reason or another. I probably wouldn't pick an MA for blues, but it should be fine for the rest of what you listed.

They definitely sound better on the 1960 cabinets, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have a Marshall MA50H and tomorrow I should be getting a 4x12 cab. I can tell you about it tomorrow.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
IMO a 4x12 is usually overkill. its a pain in the ass to haul around. a 2x12 is cheaper, lighter, and usually enough for most gigs. and a larger gig you'll probably mic it anyway.
I played the MA and thought it was junk. No EQ response. Thin. Lifeless. Limp.

Sorry. There. Are. Better. Choices.

PS: I live in the US and I also do not hate Marshall. Some of my favorite music ever was created on a Marshall amp. The last great Marshall worth buying imo was the JCM 800 2555 built in 1995 time frame.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 26, 2010,
NO MG. I suggest a Laney if you have enough money.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
@0RI0N its not a MG its a MA
Guitars
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Vintage V99CS
Eastwood Acoustic

Amps and Pedals
Blackstar HT-5R Stack
Digitech Bad Monkey
Korg PitchBlack

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I played the MA and thought it was junk. No EQ response. Thin. Lifeless. Limp.

Sorry. There. Are. Better. Choices.

This exactly. It is not that everyone hates Marshall as some ignorant person stated above. It is that for the price and what you get you can do much better
TRUE FACT: The 'MA' actually stands for 'Mediocre - Affordable'

Or possibly 'Marketing Approved'?

It's not a bad amp by any means, but the sole purpose of it is so people can own a 'real tube Marshall stack'. The design seems alright, chances are the MA would sound damn good with decent speakers and good quality tubes.
That said, why play a soulless marketing excercise when there's s much other good stuff available?

When you consider you can get an Orange Rocker/Thunder 30, Laney LH50, Bogner Alchemist or Blackstar HT 100 for around the same price, it seems like a really crap deal.
I wasn't impressed either of the times I've played it. I've played the entire MA line at least once...and everytime I go into the shop, I seem to always give it another chance. I am disappoint Much better amps to be had for the money.
With a good (non-MA) cab and some quality tubes, the MA is a great amp. But I still think you could do better for the money.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
There is one at my local shop, but I still haven't tried it out yet. I haven't heard good things about them. You can't go by other peoples opinions though. So I need to go try it sometime. I will need to plug into a better cab than the stock one though.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I'd much rather a JCM800 or 900, or even a JCM2000 DSL to an MA. I really didn't like the tone of the amp. It was very fizzy and had nothing behind it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.