right . . . what do you guys think?

I have an epi les paul standard plus top and im playing through a vypyr 30.

I was looking at buying a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB for the bridge and a SH-2 Jazz for the neck.

I play almost everything from really clean to blues to heavy metal.

I only really play in the house just now but hope to have a band going and be gigging in the near future.

1. Is there any other pup combo i should be seriously concidering?

2. Am i going to notice a huge difference with new pups through this amp?

3. Is it worth while buying new pups or should i just stick to the stock ones?

Any help is mych appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys
I'd keep the stock pickups until they fail, or you get a new amp. Most modeling amps won't sound any different, but I've noticed some differences between my pickups in the Vypyr, but not enough to really warrant buying new ones.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Dimarzio D-Activators are great passive pick ups as well. You could also consider active pick ups, like EMG 85/60 or Seymour Black Outs. Those three would be my best suggestions. As for the amp, I feel like the modeling concept is a tad bit sketchy, considering that the sound is ran through the interface which is meant to alter the sound of the guitar to the setting of the amp, regardless of guitar. Though the guitar does make a difference in the sound, the goal of the amp is make it so every guitar sounds the same. Not hating on it, but you're not going to hear to strong of a difference with the modeling amps. Peavey Valveking or 6505 combo amps would seem to fit your bill nicely.
You take various sized pots and pans, 2 wooden spatulas, sit yourself down on the ground, arrange said pots and pans around you, put on some music, and become the best drummer your kitchen has ever seen.
save your money for a better amp. the difference in sound a new will make far surpasses the difference in sound new pickups will make.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Do NOT go with active p-ups... I hate them. They just don't sound "real" or "natural" enough for me... Just my opinion... Definitely go with the JB in the bridge position. I've got a Jb in the bridge of my Charvel style 2, paired with a '59 in the neck and I LOVE that combo! Easily my favorite combo I've ever used, so definitely look into that.
Quote by FortheLifeless
Dimarzio D-Activators are great passive pick ups as well. You could also consider active pick ups, like EMG 85/60 or Seymour Black Outs. Those three would be my best suggestions. As for the amp, I feel like the modeling concept is a tad bit sketchy, considering that the sound is ran through the interface which is meant to alter the sound of the guitar to the setting of the amp, regardless of guitar. Though the guitar does make a difference in the sound, the goal of the amp is make it so every guitar sounds the same. Not hating on it, but you're not going to hear to strong of a difference with the modeling amps. Peavey Valveking or 6505 combo amps would seem to fit your bill nicely.
That first part I bolded. ALL amps do that. It's kind of... you know, part of how an amp works.

The second part that I bolded...

So if I turn an AxeFx to it's plexi setting, what guitar is it trying to model? A strat or a les paul? I must have missed the setting on modeling amps that try to make les pauls sound like strats. Or vice versa. Should I not buy a modeling amp that has a plexi model because it's going to "try" to make me sound like Hendrix with a strat when I want a Page sound with my les paul? How ridiculous does that sound?

Since when was this ever the aim of a modeling amp? Modeling amps try to make the amp sound like other amps. That's about it. Unless you are suggesting that the modeling amp somehow differentially treats the signal coming into the amp (which it doesn't) what you are saying is a load of bunk.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by markjenkins1992
2. Am i going to notice a huge difference with new pups through this amp?

Rather not. There will be a change, but it will be small considering the cost of the new pups.

Quote by markjenkins1992
3. Is it worth while buying new pups or should i just stick to the stock ones?

Once you get a better amp, it is. Epi stock pups are horrible.

I also don't like the SH4 in LPs at all, way too honky sounding. The SH2 is so-so. What pups would work for you depends on what sounds you need the most and on what amp you use - but as has been said, as long as you're playing through the Vypyr, don't bother.
I'd say it is anyway. Epiphone pickups, no matter the amp, are muddy as hell and very dull sounding.

I don't like the JB in LP's either. It's that weird mid spike.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have a set of D'Activators on my Carvin DC127 and they certainly sound good. These pups sounds good on SS amps though I use tube amps which is good still.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by al112987
That first part I bolded. ALL amps do that. It's kind of... you know, part of how an amp works.

The second part that I bolded...

So if I turn an AxeFx to it's plexi setting, what guitar is it trying to model? A strat or a les paul? I must have missed the setting on modeling amps that try to make les pauls sound like strats. Or vice versa. Should I not buy a modeling amp that has a plexi model because it's going to "try" to make me sound like Hendrix with a strat when I want a Page sound with my les paul? How ridiculous does that sound?

Since when was this ever the aim of a modeling amp? Modeling amps try to make the amp sound like other amps. That's about it. Unless you are suggesting that the modeling amp somehow differentially treats the signal coming into the amp (which it doesn't) what you are saying is a load of bunk.

i like the way you think, because modeling amp information posted on this forum definitely has not shown any proof that dispels your logic!

modeling models amps, not guitar inputs. a modeling amp can do better with a better input. i really want new pickups too :X
Quote by iampeter
i like the way you think, because modeling amp information posted on this forum definitely has not shown any proof that dispels your logic!

modeling models amps, not guitar inputs. a modeling amp can do better with a better input. i really want new pickups too :X
Someone started that little bit of "knowledge" and it caught on. It's complete BS and now I read it on here all the time when I'm on this forum. Before blindly listen to what other posters tell them is correct, people really need to think about whether or not what they're saying makes sense. It's one of the reasons why a lot of the stuff posted in the electric guitar forum is BS, because someone will spread bad advice and everyone else just latches on.

I'm just wondering for those who believe that modelers "try to make all guitars sound the same," what are they trying to make all guitars sound like? A les paul? A strat? It's such a stupid idea that I'm not sure how it even caught on in the first place.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by al112987
Someone started that little bit of "knowledge" and it caught on. It's complete BS and now I read it on here all the time when I'm on this forum. Before blindly listen to what other posters tell them is correct, people really need to think about whether or not what they're saying makes sense. It's one of the reasons why a lot of the stuff posted in the electric guitar forum is BS, because someone will spread bad advice and everyone else just latches on.

I'm just wondering for those who believe that modelers "try to make all guitars sound the same," what are they trying to make all guitars sound like? A les paul? A strat? It's such a stupid idea that I'm not sure how it even caught on in the first place.

I completely agree. I blame flibble. I wonder how a single coil could sound like a humbucker in the first place.

It is a ridiculous piece of illogical crap. I have first hand experience. I changed my pickups in my LP out for a D-Sonic and a '59; it sounds better than with stock pickups even through my microcube!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 27, 2010,
can highly recomend your choice i have a 335 copy and put the same combination in i play through a 80w marshall valve combo couple up to a blackstar tube o/d pedal and you will get the creamiest blues sounds,,,superb.
never been to the united states, but i have been in some states too much gear to list ,take a look at my pictures,, rock n roll living the dream.. blue