How do u efficiently switch to a different tempo midway through a song (both, as a guitarist and as a whole band)? For instance, in Reclamation by Lamb of God (just before the breakdown).
Most of the time when there is a tempo change it's either double-time or half-time feel. Meaning it's either twice as fast or slow. You could keep the same tempo but double or half every note.

Other than that; practice.

Edit: Just listened to this song, sounds like LOG not only changes tempo but time signatures from 6/6 to 4/4 at the same time. This comes with practice.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Thanks, I'll try practicing. But any tips on how to practice it?
Backing Tracks They don't have one of your song, but maybe another.

If you can, try practicing with a metronome at different tempos to familiarize yourself with how it should feel/sound.

Edit: Something else I just thought of; find out what each of those tempo's are in that song and practice each part with a metronome.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Aug 26, 2010,
Tempo changes are just a matter of practice. Once you do it enough times as a band and everyone has a feel for it, it'll be natural.
perhaps one thing to try would be to practice the two parts with the different tempos separately (with a metronome of course) then once you have the 'feel' for the different tempos you can try to link them - first with each person with their individual instrument and then as a group. just a thought.
Quote by Abidee
Thanks, I'll try practicing. But any tips on how to practice it?

Use a metronome every day. Eventually your internal rhythm will get good enough that you can speed up or slow down however much you wish. This goes for the entire band, but especially the drummer.
Often enough you'll see the drummer give 4 new hits on the next tempo. Other than that it's the experience you get playing with your band. In the end when everybody goes "faster" you'll all go faster the same way.
Quote by Bertallica

Edit: Just listened to this song, sounds like LOG not only changes tempo but time signatures from 6/6 to 4/4 at the same time. This comes with practice.

I'm confused.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Abidee
How do u efficiently switch to a different tempo midway through a song

Now that I think about it, I hear locals bands do that live all the time ... unintentionally
^ ahh, me too

also, half-time/double-time feel is not a tempo change. It's a manner of manipulating the rhythmic patterns to make the listener perceive it as being half or double the original tempo.

He is right about practicing with a metronome, though. In my studio you can pre-program tempo changes so the click will change to the new tempo as well. I dunno if you have any access to anything like this, maybe guitar pro? If you press F10 you can set up tempo changes. Or just practice with said song.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?