I have an audition tomorrow and Im going to entertain them with little wing

The only problem is my anxiety.... Its ridiculous. I can play the song with my eyes shut at home perfectly every time, but when it comes to performing my mind goes absolutely crazy, my hands shake to the point where I cant play to half the level Im capable of definetely nowhere near Hendrix's level.

The worse part is I know I can do it easily, and I know all the causes and cures of performance anxiety but only in my concious mind, my subconcious takes complete control when I have to perform and I enter that horrible fight or flight mode, its intense.

Afterwards comes the disappointment of not performing well even though I have EASILY put in 100+ hours to perfecting the song. I just forget everything and crumble, please help me with some advice or anything you know/ have experienced, bearing in mind that the performance is at 11 0clock tomorrow morning and I have no time to gradually build my confidence.

Any help would be appreciated more than you can imagine :P

If I could just have fun doing it I could really give them something to enjoy
Last edited by MWriff at Aug 26, 2010,
3 beers....... no more, no less. you won't be drunk, but you'll be perfectly relaxed.
Everybody has that kind of performance anxiety at one point or another. The best advice I can give you is when the anxiety comes back around, just take a few deep breaths and attempt to calm yourself. If you've put all the time into perfecting the song as you claim, you'll be able to do this. Best of luck to you
Put the pressure on you WHILE PRACTICING.

The first times i played for people live, i always knew hwere it was and how it gets full on those nights lol, so i just got my mental focused more on imagining me being there while practicing and it worked out for me c:

Seeing you don't have much time, the usual, suck it up, put on a good show, you are judging yourself while playing, let them judge you after YOU HAVE GIVEN THE BEST OF YOU while playing live c: Otherwise there's no point on actually doing it, other than helping you get over the chills. Oh yes, that's a good chill killer hehehe, playing live can surely help you get over it ^_^

Play for your parents, friends, family, in your classroom! (if you're in school) that helps a lot getting rid of tension.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Drink.

In all seriousness, you know that you can play it, just try not to let other people put you off. Imagine your playing it on your own or something. Play it to your family members tonight.

Have you ever played to anyone before? just asking.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
You can take some drugs, you know, medicine. Does help. Or just get over it, aw is daddys little girl upset?
You didn't give yourself much time for suggestions. I get the same anxiety, even playing at my mother's funeral! Once I heard the guitar sounding good, once I hit that first chord, I just got lost in the music. Don't know how else to explain it. My wife sat and watched me straight eye to eye with confidence that helped too.
Quote by MWriff
definetely nowhere near Hendrix's level.

Of course not, nobody plays at that level.
There would be no guitar players if they all compared their playing to Hendrix's like that.

Also, don't drink before a gig.
I don't care what anybody says, just don't do it before a gig.
I've seen countless people try it in order to "calm them down" and it never ends well.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Of course not, nobody plays at that level.
There would be no guitar players if they all compared their playing to Hendrix's like that.

Also, don't drink before a gig.
I don't care what anybody says, just don't do it before a gig.
I've seen countless people try it in order to "calm them down" and it never ends well.

Saw it ending well dozen of times.
Quote by MWriff
I have an audition tomorrow and Im going to entertain them with little wing

The only problem is my anxiety.... Its ridiculous. I can play the song with my eyes shut at home perfectly every time, but when it comes to performing my mind goes absolutely crazy, my hands shake to the point where I cant play to half the level Im capable of definetely nowhere near Hendrix's level.

The worse part is I know I can do it easily, and I know all the causes and cures of performance anxiety but only in my concious mind, my subconcious takes complete control when I have to perform and I enter that horrible fight or flight mode, its intense.
(

Anxiety's a *****, I know exactly what you mean. The best you can do long-term is start off playing easier, powerchord based songs so that you're used to it (something called "exposure" for anxiety sufferers). Obviously you can't do that before your audition, but is there any chance you could warm-up unplugged around them? That way you're in the same scenario and you can overcome your anxiety before your actual audition.
Gear:
- Ibanez RGR465M
- Ibanez S770FM
- PRS SE Custom
- Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
Quote by MWriff
my hands shake to the point where I cant play to half the level Im capable of definetely nowhere near Hendrix's level.

The worse part is I know I can do it easily,

yea...even in your bedroom you definitely won't be anywhere near Hendrix level.

aside from just gaining experience, the only way for you to help yourself this quickly is to go in there with a confident attitude and just pull it off. don't care about what they might think. remember that it doesn't matter AT ALL what they think in the long run. worst that can happen is you don't get the gig. it's not like you're going to die or anything. you know the song man...just go in there and show 'em!!

and take ArpeggiateTHIS' suggestion to heart about warming up right before hand. that would be a huge help.

take a deep breath and remember to keep it slow...
Quote by blkdtr

aside from just gaining experience, the only way for you to help yourself this quickly is to go in there with a confident attitude and just pull it off. don't care about what they might think. remember that it doesn't matter AT ALL what they think in the long run.

This, just keeping a confident attitude will help tremendously. If you can imagine yourself playing well and start to look forward to the audition instead of dreading the possibility of failure you'll get it done. Since it seems like you've done the practice, the only thing that's keeping you is yourself.
This is pure conjuncture, but you could try hyping yourself up:

"I'm easily the best guitarist in the room, I heard that guy in the waiting room and he sucked. If he can get in, I can ace this!"

Another method could be to try just jamming with a couple of friends, and improvise for minutes on end. Try to get lost in the music and just play straight out without thinking.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
just close your eyes and picture your romm at home, and picture yourself playing little wing at home, now just transfer that image to the audition room and pretend there is no-one in the room with you, failing that wear some reallly dark sunglasses.....there`s a reason that slash, satch and countless others wear sunglasses.....and it aint to look cool...it`s so they can`t see your ugly mush staring at them........everyone gets stage fright / stage nerves even the pro`s, don`t take drugs or drink beer beforehand (a) you`ll completley stuff up the song (b) the audition panel will know if you are high or drunk `cos it`s so obvious.
Quote by ChokingOnBile
Or just get over it, aw is daddys little girl upset?

youre a douche.
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Don't start right with the song. Make up your own little intro for it, so you can mentally prepare yourself before you jump into it, so that you don't **** it up.

That, or stop caring. If you stop caring about what the people watching you think, then you most likely won't do a bad job.

Another thing you can do is look at your guitar and what you're playing the whole time, and just really concentrate on the guitar, so that you forget other people are in the room. It's not the most appealing live technique, but if you're determined not to miss a note, you may have to.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cant reply to you all but thanks,

Nailed the audition, turns out Im really confident except for beforehand.

Its not gigs tha phase me its just fecking judges with their judging judgements, but yeah **** em I got in.
Very nice. Congrats.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X