So, if I throw a noise gate into the fx loop, I can gate out any racket from the pre-amp. It got me wondering why there is no gate designed to go between the Amp and the Cab?

Maybe there is and I just don't know?
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
I don't think so. I don't want to reduce the signal, I want to gate unwanted noise at the typical thresholds a noise gate would use.
The signal in the preamp or loop is about 1 watt maximum. The signal after the amp is much, much higher. Tube amps are also very sensitive to their loads, that is, anything that is plugged into the speaker output, so it's quite bad to plug anything in between the head and speaker -

Firstly, because anything there must take the load of the amp, which can be 300+ watts, and would blow up any pedal in existence;

Secondly, because anything plugged in that isn't a speaker or an attenuator/load box is going to cause impedance or DC flyback issues with the amp; and

Thirdly, because most of the noise is generated before the power tubes, so it's much more cost effective to build a pedal that can get 90% of the noise in the preamp than to design one that would cost many times more to go after the power amp.

It would, essentially, be like having the steering wheel turn the entire engine and front of the car instead of just the front wheels. It might corner better, but the forces involved make it impractical.
Quote by Roc8995
The signal in the preamp or loop is about 1 watt maximum. The signal after the amp is much, much higher. Tube amps are also very sensitive to their loads, that is, anything that is plugged into the speaker output, so it's quite bad to plug anything in between the head and speaker -

Firstly, because anything there must take the load of the amp, which can be 300+ watts, and would blow up any pedal in existence;

Secondly, because anything plugged in that isn't a speaker or an attenuator/load box is going to cause impedance or DC flyback issues with the amp; and

Thirdly, because most of the noise is generated before the power tubes, so it's much more cost effective to build a pedal that can get 90% of the noise in the preamp than to design one that would cost many times more to go after the power amp.

It would, essentially, be like having the steering wheel turn the entire engine and front of the car instead of just the front wheels. It might corner better, but the forces involved make it impractical.

These things make sense, especially the third one! I was just having a wandering mind and wondering why such a thing hadn't (presumably) been invented yet.

The JCA50 is my first one with an effects loop, so having a noise gate after the preamp is a novel thing to me. Made me wonder why it has not already been taken a step further.

Interesting info.
Roc, great example with the car.

also, just to be clear, attenuators are NOT gates. Their purpose is to distribute som or all of the load away from the cab and turn it into (most often) heat energy.

the THD Hot Plate claims to have a "gate," but really it's function is more like a pad, not the same thing as your decimator, smartgate, ns2, etc.

that said, in some circumstances, stryker could be right. as you attenuate, you lower the output pushing your speakers (keep in mind, speakers generating air movement is a big part of their tone, and 'starving' them could lead to negative - not neccessarily dangerous - results, but that's another thread), and as you attenuate greatly, you lower the precieved volume of your rig. likewise, your noise floor will drop relative to your overall volume, BUT if you mic you cab, expect to get it all right back. good news is most decent venues have some type of gate in their PA, so a soundguy who's not completely retarded can fix you in a jiffy.

...in short, attenuators can do what you're looking for (I recommend the Faustine).
Quote by GrisKy
(I recommend the Faustine).

Woo let's spend some f*cking money here!

Just saying.... his amp costs less than one of those.
I have a huge fear if rays.