So I found out that while ASCENDING the neck, I can alternate pick perfectly (down, up, down, up, down, up, etc).

I also found out that when I DESCEND I do not. I end up keeping the same motion as I switch strings (down, up, down, down, up, down, down, etc). I've been really struggling with fast descending runs and I think now I know why.

What's the best way to teach my hand to perfectly alternate pick while descending? I have tried doing scales slowly and making sure I always keep an up down motion, but I always end up defaulting back to the bad habit without knowing it. Does it just take a lot of time? So far it's proving to be VERY frustrating, it doesn't look like this will be an easy fix.

Thanks!
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at Aug 26, 2010,
The only advice I can give is to take it slow. Sure it will be frustrating for starters but it will become easier and easier. Don't sit for countless hours practicing this because you will only go insane if you do. Practice it for like 15 minutes a day Don't push it to much.
Download a boring movie, take your guitar, start watching movie while repeating descending licks. After a couple of movies you'll be good. Make sure you DON'T pay attention while doing so.
If I read correctly your actually economy picking, which is by no means a bad thing. As others have said just practice and take it slow. Economy picking is cool though and a nice technique to have down, its more efficient (or economic hence the name), Paul Gilbert does it a lot I believe.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by Zeletros
Download a boring movie, take your guitar, start watching movie while repeating descending licks. After a couple of movies you'll be good. Make sure you DON'T pay attention while doing so.

Perfect description of the best way of wasting time.

Op, put your metronome on 60 bpm and start practicing carefully and honestly, every day. No telly, no nothing, just practice.

ps. Paul Gilbert does not "economy" pick.
Yeah dude..... Paul doesn't do Eco Picking. He's known all over for his Alternate Picking. Those two are completely different slices of pie.

Anywho, this is a kind of common. Lots of Guitarists tend to focus more on Ascending than Descending when beginning to practice Alternate Picking. This happened to me. The solution to it is the quintessential Guitar Practice suggestion: "Practice slow and controlled.". Just focus in on your Descending Scales, work them to a high quality level, and speed up. It's cake, dedication is all you need.
you could always go in the other direction and develop your economy picking while ascending.

As for relearning it definitely won't be an easy fix. You will want to spend a lot of time with a metronome, based on personal experience when you re-learn something and you tend to overlook good timing and accenting because you figure you can already do the technique ascending and you rush.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.