Seriously, has anyone actually played guitar until their fingers bled, or is that just a hyperbole (or metaphor?) popularised by the Bryan Adams song?

It's never happened to me, but then I never played guitar for several hours in a row.

I know this is a dumb question but I'm curious.
I've done it a few times. And I've played till my fingertips were sore as hell several more times.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Split the end of my little finger playing once. But that was when i first started and before my skin was the hardened substance it is today
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Yes. I couldn't get my strap to quite the right length, so whenever I strummed chords my picking hand would scrape across all the strings, and I tore off all the skin at the end of my index finger. Then I kept playing. And yes, my strings did rust. So did my pickups
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Never until I bled but for some reason lately my bass strings have been ripping the hell out of my strumming fingers. Starts to burn after a few minutes.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
never have, but i saw a group on UG for people who have, there were quite a bit of people in it
GENERIC SIGNATURE
I split the end of my finger open playing once, and several times while bending strings my nail has gotten caught on the string and my fingers bleed that way.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
I play til they're sore, if you play til they bleed it'll put you out of action for a while wont it?

Less guitar time = BAD
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
ive gotten cuts on my fingertips a few times when I played my steel string. Excessive string bending can be pretty painful too

playing guitar even with tiny cuts on your fingertips hurt like heeeellllll
Quote by genghisgandhi
A G string snapped and cut my hand.

Don't suppose you were fingering A minor?
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
I've played bass guitar until my fingers bled if that counts. It's not like it hurt...that much.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by genghisgandhi
A G string snapped and cut my hand.

aaahhhhhhhh....
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Well i've played until it hurts enough that I can't continue, never bled though.
My fingers have never bled from playing guitar.

The most that happened was some skin peeling off my fingertips.
Some days I actually have played from morning (a couple hours after I woke up) until like 11 pm, with breaks for food and bathroom and stuff, but my fingers have never bled.

Edit: The Zakk thing is real, he cut himself on his guitar and kept playing. I doubt it was from playing too br00tally though (i.e. from the tips of his fingers).
Last edited by Meelad360 at Aug 26, 2010,
Watched my mate play a gig (bass) and he had blisters from practicing for weeks straight. They popped within seconds then started bleeding. He played for 2 hours like that with blood flicking up at the crowd when he was walking. Awesome show to leave covered in a band members blood.

I once cut my middle finger tip on my left hand, the cut was that deep that when it began to heal i could press down on a string and it'd dissapear into the wound.
I have but it's always happened when playing for extended periods in the cold.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I have. It was the day I cut my fingertip in half with a chainsaw, then got it stitched up and was on painkillers. The string went into the cut (it was vertical and on my left hand) and tore a stitch. True story.
Quote by offthewall91
I split the end of my finger open playing once, and several times while bending strings my nail has gotten caught on the string and my fingers bleed that way.

I've split my nail from my finger doing bends and it ends up bleeding a little.

Once playing live I hit my right and against the strings and cut my hand with blood going everywhere.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I once got a huge blister, about 1cm outwards from the end of my finger, from starting bass fingerpicking
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Yup, it was on my picking hand though. I had blood all over the strings.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I gave my bass to someone months ago for them to learn on, and just recently got to play it again. I went back to my fairly-aggressive slap-and-pop style that I missed so much, and my index finger actually did bleed a bit, because the skin just wasn't conditioned for it anymore.
I've had skin peel of my fingertips. Once, I split my cuticle on my picking hand from my nail, and blood got on my strings and pickups and pick. It took me a while to notice too. Lol.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
dozens of times.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;