Poll: Which Head/Cab Combo?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Head/Cab Combo?
Marshall JVM410H + Marshall Cab
11 30%
Marshall JVM410H + Peavey Cab
1 3%
Peavey 6505 Plus + Peavey Cab
8 22%
Peavey 6505 Plus + Marshall Cab
13 35%
Peavey 5150 + Peavey Cab
2 5%
Peavey 5150 + Marshall Cab
2 5%
Voters: 37.
i'm looking at which high end head/cab combo i'd get when i've got some money coming in and i've settled on either 3 heads.

Marshall JVM410H

Peavey 6505 Plus/5150

My solo stuff is more suited to the Marshall sound but the Stuff i play in my band is more suited to the Peavey sound. if i do go with a Peavey Head i'd want to know which is best out of those 2, i've heard that the 5150 has a very good reputation but i can't seem to find it anywhere that isn't on Ebay.

Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 26, 2010,
ive never been impressed with the peaveys. a lot of gain but lacks a lot of character. the jvms are nice. i considered possibly getting one, but its too many channels. they sound heavy and they are versatile. it all comes down to which you like best.

regardless of the head, go with a marshall cab or something better. orange cabs or emperor. krank cabs are ****ing super nice as well.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Both can do high gain, both can do mid-gain-ish tones.

The JVM can get you better cleans, while you might like the 6505 better for metal core and death metal stuff.

The JVM is more British and the 6505 more American sounding.

The JVM might be more versatile, but again, you might like the tones of the 6505 better, but it's more of a preference-thing.

From what I've heard you should get a noise gate for both amps if you play them with much gain.

BTW, what is your budget?
Describe the tone you need for your solo/band project.

And I wouldn't bother much with Peavey cabs.

.... and inb4marshallsuckz.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My experience with the JVM's is that they sound like a truck full of Bees crashing into a whoopee cushion factory. Not to mention they are expensive.

If you want a great Marshall crunch with good lead tone, consider a DSL. You may or may not like it, but I think they are solid, tone-wise.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
6534/tread

That. It's a 6505 with EL34s instead of 6L6s.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Crohny
ive never been impressed with the peaveys. a lot of gain but lacks a lot of character.

That's odd, cause I love the 5150 and think the JVM sounds like utter shit Lifeless, fizzy, gross sounding amp IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Nothing wrong with Peavey cabs. One of these days I'm going to record some stuff with a Peavey cab and throw a tree in the road of all this bandwagonning of Marshall/Mesa/Mills cabs.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Nothing wrong with Peavey cabs. One of these days I'm going to record some stuff with a Peavey cab and throw a tree in the road of all this bandwagonning of Marshall/Mesa/Mills cabs.

It's not the cab that's the problem...it's the speakers that I have the problem with.
Like many Peavey products, the 1200's and 1290s need a little massaging and experimenting to get the best performance out of them. A Peavey cab performs best at stupid high volumes, which is why I flip the cab away from the front of the stage and crank the head to about 7 and stick a mike on it.
I use a 6505+ 112 combo and a 412 cab.

I got the cab (old late 70's early 80's sealed gc cab in great condition, solid!) used for $45 and stripped the wires and speakers out.
I ordered 2 warehouse vet30's and 2 warehouse heritage 65's

I highly reccomend the 6505+ with this speaker combo!!!
Last edited by Cisc at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by ConfederateAxe
My experience with the JVM's is that they sound like a truck full of Bees crashing into a whoopee cushion factory. Not to mention they are expensive.

If you want a great Marshall crunch with good lead tone, consider a DSL. You may or may not like it, but I think they are solid, tone-wise.

Any amp sounds like that if you turn the gain up too much. On the heaviest channel, there is really no need to turn it up past 3. The same thing with the 5150 i am sure. It will no doubt sound more "fizzy" than a Marshall, at least with my experience.

And people i know who have owned both a JVM and DSL prefer the JVM by far
Quote by Cisc
I use a 6505+ 112 combo and a 412 cab.

I got the cab (old late 70's early 80's sealed gc cab in great condition, solid!) used for $45 and stripped the wires and speakers out.
I ordered 2 warehouse vet30's and 2 warehouse heritage 65's

I highly reccomend the 6505+ with this speaker combo!!!

^I really really like that idea too. Combo for portability/Cab for gigging.

I have yet to play the 6534 but if it is anything like I think is it will be right up my alley. It will make the JVM seem like a toy.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Both can do high gain, both can do mid-gain-ish tones.

The JVM can get you better cleans, while you might like the 6505 better for metal core and death metal stuff.

The JVM is more British and the 6505 more American sounding.

The JVM might be more versatile, but again, you might like the tones of the 6505 better, but it's more of a preference-thing.

From what I've heard you should get a noise gate for both amps if you play them with much gain.

BTW, what is your budget?
Describe the tone you need for your solo/band project.

And I wouldn't bother much with Peavey cabs.

I do have a noise gate which i use with my AVT100X. My budget is around £1,000 and for my Solo project i'll be playing thrashy melodic stuff with Melodic/Progressive Death metal influences. My band is Groove/Thrash Metal with some melodic touches.

My Band's main influence is Machine Head and i've heard that they use 5150's through Marshall amps so i'm tempted to go with this option and maybe experiment recording with that combination. i doubt i'll be playing my Solo music Live anytime soon.
Get the JVM205H. Believe me, that has a lot more value than the other JVM's.
Quote by TMF128
Get the JVM205H. Believe me, that has a lot more value than the other JVM's.

Why shouldn't he get the 4-channel JVM if he likes it and can afford one?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Why shouldn't he get the 4-channel JVM if he likes it and can afford one?

Even though it may seem fancier, the extra OD channel and seperate crunch channel are just not worth the extra money.

There is no problem with the 4-channel JVM, but the 2-channel JVM does just as well and it is MUCH cheaper.

Besides, if you were spending $2000 on an amp, you'd be better off getting a Splawn.
IMO, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7uDVHLmtpQ

Sounds much better, clearer, less fuzzy, less compressed, and more articulate than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfECbKWpilY&feature=related

I wasn't looking for the worst sounding Peavey clip either, they also sounded pretty bad IMO

Plus the Marshall can do WAY more
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
Besides, if you were spending $2000 on an amp, you'd be better off getting a Splawn.

Dunno, but here in Europe the JVM is about the same price as a 6505+ and Splawns are very hard to get.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Dunno, but here in Europe the JVM is about the same price as a 6505+ and Splawns are very hard to get.

Oh, I didn't know that.

In that case, he should go with the JVM.
overall and you all can correct me on this.
the peaveys power chords do not have the thumping mids liked i hoped when i bought one last year. it always sounds a little scooped. for single note/palm mute applications it is probably the best amp for that. but if you play heavy power chords for more of a rock/metal vibe the marshall was made for that. try a/b power chords for a marshall/peavey.
Quote by surface54
the peaveys power chords do not have the thumping mids liked i hoped when i bought one last year. it always sounds a little scooped.

Must be something wrong with your setup, or your ears then...

Cause the 5150 is an extremely middy amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by patriotplayer90
Any amp sounds like that if you turn the gain up too much. On the heaviest channel, there is really no need to turn it up past 3. The same thing with the 5150 i am sure. It will no doubt sound more "fizzy" than a Marshall, at least with my experience.

And people i know who have owned both a JVM and DSL prefer the JVM by far

I ran the gamut of gain levels on the 210H I tried. The cleans were okay, the crunch was just flat and lifeless, and the Lead mode wasn't much better. Of course, to be fair, it could have been the MG cab it was plugged into, but I dunno.

My H&K Triamp MK I walked all over it when I played through the same cab. Also walked all over the Mesa Mark IV that was present.

Every JCM2000 I've heard in person sounded good. Not to say there aren't bad ones out there.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 27, 2010,
Damn, tie vote between The JVM410H + Marshall Cab and the 6505 + Marshall Cab. That doesn't help, aha. i'm still stuck between the 2, but i'd probably agree with everyone else, Marshall cabs are way better.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
A lot of us didn't vote

the 205H and Marshall cab is probably what I would do if I were you but I'm not so I wont'.

can you play it somewhere?

i don't know of any places locally. i just usually go by reviews and recordings rather than trying them out for myself. Bad i know but i seemed to have gotten good results so far.

i think with this sort of money though i would very much like to play each of them. Maybe i'll make a day trip to London.