Was thinking of buying Amplitube metal for recording.

Question: Which is better, record clean guitars and run through sim to get distortion I want?

Or record distorted guitar, then run sim?

Ive heard mixed theories. Need a little help.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
i would recommend recording with distortion as the sim distortion isnt as clear or and pronounced and also doesnt sound as realistic as with a pedal
Ok not sure what DAW we use, its on my drummers computer. But I recorded with my 6505+ (distorted), then ran it through whatever sim he has on there. It sounded like doo doo. Just curious if clean recordings would have any better result.

So if im using my peavey and say run it through the mesa, ill get a mix of the 2 tones?
Last edited by maddnotez at Aug 26, 2010,
why would you run an already miced amp through an amp sim? or does the amp have a line out you used?

either way, dont do that. you want to either record the amp, or run a signal direct through the guitar for use with the amp sims.
if you're gonna use am simulatoers like amplitude, use impulses instead of the built in cab sims, because those are horrible most of the time.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
with tweaking you can get some good high gain tones out of sims but I will say this, sim software will NEVER, (IMO) be as good as the real deal.

I've tried the old Toneport and currently am running Guitar Rig 4 trial and both are great for clean and crunch but yea they do lack in high gain presets...but I've never really gotten into tweaking most of these presets.
Quote by moody07747
with tweaking you can get some good high gain tones out of sims but I will say this, sim software will NEVER, (IMO) be as good as the real deal.

I've tried the old Toneport and currently am running Guitar Rig 4 trial and both are great for clean and crunch but yea they do lack in high gain presets...but I've never really gotten into tweaking most of these presets.

I understand, and Ideally I would Buy an Engle Savage or VHT Pitbull.

However I dont have that much cash.
nobody would pay for an analogue distortion if software could replace it.
However, you could consider all the methods - (sorted by importance):
1 - miking a cab. Even at very low volumes it is usually better sounding than VST simulations
2 - on second chanel, you could record line out from your preamp and then use Amplitube for amp/cab simulation
3 - you could use some sort of DI box before your amp and simultaneously record clean and miked cab/line out. In this case you could compare sounds. Also, whats more interesting to me, you can reamp your good takes tru your peavey amp until you get perfect sound, without playing it again. Or use the clean track to reamp in some place where you can record really loud to get real killer tube amp and cab tone.
^ i somewhat disagree with 1. depending on the genre and amp, you can actually get a lot better sounds out of tweaked amp sims than micing a low volume amp. for something like metal where you dont want poweramp distortion, a low volume amp works well. for something like a non master volume amp where you want gritty blues, low volume isnt going to cut it. of course edge of breakup isnt the strong suit of amp sims either. for cleans and just past the edge of breakup type crunch, i find that a good amp sim is often better than a tube amp turned down.