Page 1 of 4
Alright, so while looking up child custody lawsuits, I came across an odd term:

Masculism.

I've never heard of this before and have barely begun reading up on it, but I'll give a quick summary of what I've read so far:

From what I understand, Masculism can be defined in many ways, some believe that supports masculism supports Men's Rights, such as the fact that men usually lose child custody lawsuits, that men are many times victimised by rape claims that are later proven or admitted to be false, the fact that in certain countries (like germany), men have to spend a certain amount of time after high school either serving the military, or providing community services, while women do not, and other biases against men in different societies.

Others believe it to be the same as anti-feminism, and the pursuit of male superiority and dominance in society.

Others again believe that different gender roles are natural and should not be subdued to government interferance.

Masculism in its first definition has many sympathists within feminism, and vice versa. Masculism and feminism in the definition that both ideals seek to eliminate social differentiation in genders are not opposites, but rather two sides of the same effort, so keep that in mind.

So we have a thread on Feminism, but none on masculism.

Are masculists the same as femi-nazis, nothing but women-hating chauvenists who want to be able to slap their woman again like in the 50's, or are they the same thing as normal feminists, who want a man who slaps his wife to be punished the same as a woman who slaps her husband?
Any other opinions, thoughts, comments?

Discuss.

Here are some links you might want to read up on:

Masculism
Men's Rights
Father's Rights Movement
It's a mix of actual discrimination and self-victimising whiners.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yeah, it's really getting quite difficult being a white male in a Western society.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Kensai

the same as feminism

Both movements have very valid points, and can at the same time be very, very annoying IMO.
I don't think gender should make a difference in any legal matter.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Never had any feelings of superiority or inferiority based upon my gender. Never saw the term until now. I dunno?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
i have a penis and i want every one to know
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by TheBurningFish
Yeah, it's really getting quite difficult being a white male in a Western society.

I agree. Right now, a woman, a male who isn't white, or (let's face it) a tranny has more of a chance of getting into a better school.

However, I don't want it to go the other way either. I think it should be equal on both sides. I'm not saying we MUST enforce a 50/50 ratio of males to females and have equal amounts of people from every race and ethnicity at every school. But we should at least not discriminate against people based on whether they are a white male or not.

Hmm...I guess these statements make me a moderate masculinist.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I agree. Right now, a woman, a male who isn't white, or (let's face it) a tranny has more of a chance of getting into a better school.

Buy a dress.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Wow, you're so damn funny that I forgot to laugh. Gtfo.

I wasn't being funny.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Humans should be treated the same.

Like when someone says "Is it because I'm black?" at something pointless to argue over. They're undermining the very thought of racism to use it to their advantage. In legal terms everyone should be treated the same, no get out clauses saying one kind of person is allowed to be treated differently for the same crime etc.

But the world is imperfect, people as a majority are stupid and and ignorant. May aswell face it, we're never going to make society better than this because a society consists of a few reasonable people surrounded by other reasonable people with different thoughts.

*sighs*
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Demanding certain rights for your own gender is not the same as oppressing the other gender. However, some people fail to understand this and take it too far. That's how we get chauvinists and feminazis.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Sarcasmdetectionfail.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Never did get that phrase. It doesn't make sense on any level...

Ahh well

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
It's stupid and I hate it and all its followers are stupid and I hate them.

That is what I think about masculism.
Quote by TheBurningFish

Harder than you might think. You know, at least in the US, colleges and employers often have stricter requirements for white males than for women or minorities. Haven't you heard of Affirmative Action? At some colleges you get extra points on your application just for being a woman or black. Equality, my ass.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I thought this was going to be about manliness and I was going to say something along the lines of, "I couldn't hear you over the sound of my hug muscles, bro," or just something from my life is bro, but now I'm disappointed. Oh wait no I'm not because emotions are for women and gays.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

1. As Jackal said, he wasn't trying to be funny.
2. You don't tell Jackal to get out, Jackal tells you to get out, because Jackal is older than the rest of the universe so he gets authority over everyone else. /tool and /necessary reference to Jackal being old.
It kind of seems like white power, as white power was a response to black power. Black power was about gaining rights, while white power is about taking those rights away and white people being the dominate race. It seems the same with this.

Don't get me wrong though. If the father is the better option for a child then he should get custody. I'm about equality. And as a man, I have never once felt discriminated against.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

So you think that there are absolutely no issues where men are discriminated against in society that need to be adressed?

That seems like a very, very shallow opinion, especially from someone who I thought was very advocate for women's rights.

EDIT: keep in mind my main issue is custody lawsuits, which waaay too often fall in favor for the mother.

it's happened to an uncle of mine with his wife, who doesn't even know how to clean a household, much less hold a job or raise kids (my grandma usually took care of the kids when my uncle wasn't there) . She got the kids, solely because she's a woman. And yes, I know her, and yes, I know the situation. This IS an issue.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
i have a penis and i want every one to know

Can we get some pics up in here?
Quote by rgrockr
Harder than you might think. You know, at least in the US, colleges and employers often have stricter requirements for white males than for women or minorities. Haven't you heard of Affirmative Action? At some colleges you get extra points on your application just for being a woman or black. Equality, my ass.

Aw

Stick in soldier. Keep your head high.

Quote by neidnarb11890
Can we get some pics up in here?

Buy a dress.

Now I'm being funny.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Here's my viewpoint on this issue.

A man hit's another man, a fight ensues, they're both punished.
A woman hit's a man, a fight ensues, the man is punished.

This is wrong, it doesn't matter if you're male or female, gay or straight, handicapped or fully capable, I will fight back.
Don't worry guys, from an evolutionary point of view (so far at least) males will always be "dominant". Which guy does a women feel most attracted to (i.e senses the best genetic makeup)? The guy with balls who is assertive and is generally a leading figure especially with women, or the no-balls guy catering to their every whim? Traits generally defined as "masculine" are seen as attractive, evolution will do the rest.
I am a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Why? They see some parts of society where there isn't gender equality and they want to change that so gender becomes irrelevant and everybody gets treated regardless of their gender. I don't comprehend how that could be considered stupid and warrant hatred.
The first sentence from the Wikipedia article:

"Masculism can be defined in two mutually contradictory ways."

I believe that says it all.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Ya man, fuck those men wanting equal rights to their kids, what stupid wankers.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Kensai

I've never heard of masculism but I'm going to assume it's this. The only instance in which I think men have a claim for inequality is in child custody. That needs to be changed. In all other respects, men have it much easier than women.

Quote by rgrockr

Affirmative Action is used between two otherwise equally qualified candidates. And, genius, it is not like you are both approaching the college or job on an equal basis. You, as a white male, have centuries of unfair privilege behind you. As a black man or woman, they have centuries of prejudice hindering them.
As white people, we all unfairly benefited from slavery and racial inequality. It was nothing to do with us, obviously, but the benefits are still there. AA is an attempt to reverse that. It
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by Meths
I've never heard of masculism but I'm going to assume it's this. The only instance in which I think men have a claim for inequality is in child custody. That needs to be changed. In all other respects, men have it much easier than women.

Draft?

Although I suppose that should just be gone altogether.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by JackalUK
^^ Rape cases? I think not.

In what way are they sexist? There's a 4% conviction rate, in what sense can that be interpreted as being biased towards the victim?

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Draft?

There isn't one.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Draft?

I dunno about over there, but I'm sure if they started drafting women over here, a lot of men (and women too, of course) would start a whole br00haha about how women don't belong in the military. I doubt many manly men would be down with it.

That said, we don't have a draft over here. And hopefully we never will again.
Quote by Meths
There isn't one.

Not in Britain, there are forms of compulsory military service, and other types of public service, elsewhere.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not in Britain, there are forms of compulsory military service, and other types of public service, elsewhere.

Sucks to be them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Defense_Forces#Women

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Israel isn't the only modern western country with conscription.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_Germany

My point was that they could all do what Israel does and just conscript women anyway.

Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 4