hey guys. i was wondering what effects are needed to make tapping easier. i know it has to do with technique, but im pretty sure im doing it right. it just doesnt sound loud enough. if i turn the gain on my marshall all the way up my playing sounds to muddy, and the tapping still doesnt sound loud enough. ive seen some pros do it and the tapping sounds loud, and then everything else doesnt sound like a mess.
heres a short sample of what i mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88sxuDS6B8

what do you guys recommend? what pedals? and would i need a noise suppressor or something to keep muddyness down?

i hav a zakk wylde epi with active emg's, a marshall mg and marshall lead 20(old 80s amp sounds good but not too much gain)
Last edited by davem27 at Aug 26, 2010,
i'd probably say a better amp or if not a decent distortion pedal, and lower your action as much as you can... ?

budget?
it's your technique.
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
don't rely on effects to make it sound good. make it sound good acoustic before you add to it
TM
Technique. Your finger and forearm strength is just too weak if youve only started a short while ago, with practise, it will improve.

In my opinion, you should never look to effects for covering up weaknesses, only to decorate good technique.
The most common thing with new players tapping is the timing.
The notes should last the same lengrh and if it's not at the right rhythm some sound muted and others jump out more.
Practice slow, and if it sounds nice, you can do it.
Just gotta speed it up and not f*x it up.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
The most common thing with new players tapping is the timing.
The notes should last the same lengrh and if it's not at the right rhythm some sound muted and others jump out more.
Practice slow, and if it sounds nice, you can do it.
Just gotta speed it up and not f*x it up.

I just go so fast that any time difference isn't noticeable
I have a huge fear if rays.
Some delay can help with your timing and sound cooler than a metronome when you are learning. Eddie often used some phase.
like i said, i know it has a lot to do with technique, but in my opinion with gear too. i was playing on a squier strat before and tapping was very hard to hear. now that i got my epi with emg's, it sounds louder.

but my dilemma is, if i turn use a lot of gain like some of you mentioned, tapping sounds good, but everything else is too distorted and muddy. ill of course, keep practicing technique, but i wanted to know, what gear do you guys use for tapping?

does reverb, compressors and delay help, as mentioned above?
Quote by davem27
like i said, i know it has a lot to do with technique, but in my opinion with gear too. i was playing on a squier strat before and tapping was very hard to hear. now that i got my epi with emg's, it sounds louder.

but my dilemma is, if i turn use a lot of gain like some of you mentioned, tapping sounds good, but everything else is too distorted and muddy. ill of course, keep practicing technique, but i wanted to know, what gear do you guys use for tapping?

does reverb, compressors and delay help, as mentioned above?

They have higher gain amps that sound more articulate with large amounts of gain as opposed to muddy. Or you can get a tube amp and an OD pedal and engage the pedal over your distortion channel when you want to tap and turn it off at other times
Quote by patriotplayer90
They have higher gain amps that sound more articulate with large amounts of gain as opposed to muddy. Or you can get a tube amp and an OD pedal and engage the pedal over your distortion channel when you want to tap and turn it off at other times

makes sense

can u guys sugget models?
(the cheaper the better, but if its good and i like it ill buy it. i wanna buy used so under 900$ new about)

also suggest pedals too please. anyone ever try the mxr distortion +?

or just feel free to list what YOU use, and how it works out for you
My 6505+ 112 is very good for tapping. It is about $600 new. Or a used 5150 or 6505 (pretty much what Eddie uses) around the same price, No distortion pedals needed with those amps, a clean pedal would be cool though.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 26, 2010,
Wouldnt recomend covering up not perfect technique with lots of effects. A wise guitarist once said "Don't build foundations on sand"

although Compression, some nice reverb and a tad of delay should make any tapping sound better.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Cranked MXR Fullbore into cranked MG.

But seriously, technique is the key, not gear.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
A comprssor will help......but Volume is the ulimate factor.
dont cover up mistakes with effects.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
You don't need to tap with more strength; you need to tap with more speed. Make sure your tapping hand is muting properly as well. A compressor will help (sometimes technique can't do everything given the circumstances), especially with multi-finger tapping stuff.
Muting is the hardest part of tapping. You have to lean how to control your tapping, and improve your technique overall. Speed shouldn't matter so much, that is more preference and what you want to sound like I think.

As for effects, a compressor will help level everything out, but other than that you shouldn't use anything else. I use a compressor, it makes everything tighter and makes individual notes sound as loud as chords, so it's really helpful.

Also yes, if you're playing high gain metal, you need a noise suppressor. It's basically a must have.

And lastly, your amp sucks. Upgrading your amp will provide the best, most noticeable improvement.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Technique. A person who can finger tap good can make it sound good on pretty much all amps. Effects just make it sound better, and sometimes fuller. I like to use reverb and maybe some delay. That's usually it.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Offworld92
Muting is the hardest part of tapping. You have to lean how to control your tapping, and improve your technique overall. Speed shouldn't matter so much, that is more preference and what you want to sound like I think.

As for effects, a compressor will help level everything out, but other than that you shouldn't use anything else. I use a compressor, it makes everything tighter and makes individual notes sound as loud as chords, so it's really helpful.

Also yes, if you're playing high gain metal, you need a noise suppressor. It's basically a must have.

And lastly, your amp sucks. Upgrading your amp will provide the best, most noticeable improvement.

okk, yea i think much of the problem is my amp, it does suck. thanks for the advice ill look for a compressor.

thanks to everyone else who was helpful. and to all the idiots: again, i already mentioned of course ill work on my technique! my question wasnt even so much about tapping, it was about how to get louder individual notes without everything sounding wayy to muddy and loud.
Quote by Offworld92

I don't mean playing quickly. Take your right hand and tap a single note. First, tap it slowly. Now tap it quickly. Tell me which one gave you more sound/clarity.