This is driving me crazy. I haven't been able to write anything good for such a long time and can't seem to get out of this writers block. It's not like I'm lacking motivation or influences because I have been getting a **** ton of new music to listen to. Whenever I try to write, I just sit down and keep playing the same riffs trying to add more to the song but nothing ever happens. It's like my mind doesn't want to cooperate. I also seem to write very similar riffs with similar finger patterns. How do I get out of this? Do I forget about writing and just learn other songs instead? Would learning music theory help? Or should I just keep trying? This is driving me crazy.
God, I have been in this for a much longer time. I constantly use the same frets.

But, how I have recently solved it is by not picking up my guitar unless I have a rhythm in my head! Once I have something sweet sounding in my head, I pick up my guitar and transfer it to the fretboard. Works for me.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Different methods work for different people. I don't really think there is a sure fire way of breaking through that block. I've just had a really prolific few weeks of writing, but I've hit that block. Luckily I've got other musicians (band members) to bounce my ideas off. They can hear it afresh and then can carry on the writing; then their ideas inspire me and there goes the block!

I would recommend you mix writing with learning other songs. Music theory is always going to help because it will teach you to know what is more likely to sound better. As it will speed up the process of finding something that sounds good you are, in my opinion, less likely to hit a block quite so often.
that idea works for me too because usually when i pick up my guitar without any ideas in my head, i play for hours and get sick of not being able to create something good. so just put your guitar away for a while and pick it up when you have a glorious idea or melody.
Quote by meltingboy
that idea works for me too because usually when i pick up my guitar without any ideas in my head, i play for hours and get sick of not being able to create something good. so just put your guitar away for a while and pick it up when you have a glorious idea or melody.

yeppers. I come up with the stuff in my head all the time, and I have been just trying to come up with stuff with the guitar in my hand and no ideas. Dont get me wrong, that works too, but doesnt happen nearly as often for me. Think up a melody first!
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
How about you put down the guitar and transfer what's in your head to paper...or computer.

Relying on learned finger patterns and chord shapes is hindering your output, imo. Not to say compsing with an instrument is bad, it just seems that it's what's holding you back at the moment.
Try improvising a song and recording it.

I find that thinking too hard about what to write can sometimes make it more difficult to get a good idea.

Try just letting it all out and improvising.
Maybe you just need inspiration.

I'd recommend (you and anyone else looking for inspiration) looking into Bear Vs. Shark's album Terrorhawk. I suggest it because the guitar parts consist mostly of little diddlies and powerchords. Despite that, the whole album is comprised of irregularly lengthed phrases, long and subtle polyrhythms, unique syncopation, and, best of all, extreme amounts of emotion. I like to think that this album is backed full of emotion that's presented in totally different ways. It's hard to describe, so just listen.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Don't try to write something good, try writing something bad. Then figure out why it's so bad and go from there.