Apologies in advance if this has been posted before, but I was just browsing Youtube aimlessly out of boredom when I came across this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB7c3OsZHNE

If you watch around 0:20 and 0:47 he adjusts something sticking out at the base of the fretboard, and the frets actually retract, effectively swapping the bass between fretted and fretless mode.

I've never heard of this before... has anyone else seen or heard of any basses like this? Or know where to get them?
that guy is weak with his fingerstyle but that bass is sick.i've never heard of anything like that.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Wow, that's pretty awesome.
Gotta say I really didn't like the sound of what he was doing with the fretless, though.

But, that function is pretty cool, I'm not sure how that would actually work.
HoOoOoOoLy Shite!!!!!

...I want one.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I've seen that before, but I cant really imagine it being particularly practical (or easy to make). What if one of those frets doesn't retract properly or is a millimeter out? Both your fretted and fretless playing will be thrown by it.
wow. . . thats freaking awesome xD
- THIS IS MY SIG -
BEHOLD ITS AWESOMENESS
I remember a thread about this exact video, but whatever, it's a cool thing and should be talked about. VERY expensive though.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
ah. the frets spin my brother.

they are round, with a flat side. it is very cool.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Wow.

Well screw every other bass out there huh? Can anyone elses bass do that? Didnt think so :/
pinga
I recall another thread some time ago about this exact video.

Anyways, things like this have been done before. Steinberger made an one-off prototype, an "experimental" bass with retractable frets that folded down into the fretboard by turning a knob at the top of the neck.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I think I just jizzed. Beats Ibanez's fretted and fretless design.
DUDE!!

i just crapped my pants
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
Looks like the fingerboard is completely flat from those pictures. I imagine that would take some getting used to. I tried playing a nylon string classical guitar with a flat fingerboard, and could never get used to the feel of it.

Regardless, though, I'd still love to try one if I can ever get my hands on one.
Last edited by Cosmo420 at Aug 27, 2010,