Hey guys, Ive been playing guitar for about 2 years off and on. I mainly play metal, with some rock and blues. I am having trouble tuning my new epiphone les paul special 2. I am using the 15w amp that came with the starter pack. Whenever I try to tune it for distortion, I get this "woah woah woah" sound when playing a power chord. Thats the best way I can describe it, its not a solid crunch, it kinda fades in and out as I hold the chord. Palm muted chords sound fine, as well as single notes (bluesy notes around the middle of the neck actually sound great!), it just cant sustain a power chord very well. My $150 peavey raptor xl starter pack actually sounded better lol. I have played with the knobs for hours trying to get a good solid sound, but nothing seems to help.

Do you think its the cheap amp? Maybe I should replace the strings? If so, what thickness should I go with? (Im going for a metallica/SOAD kinda sound) It does sound a little better if I blast the amp, but I live in a small apartment with neighbors on both sides. They are old black neighbors that I dont think would appreciate the beauty of a screaming guitar .
Quote by JustAnOldSoul
They are old black neighbors that I dont think would appreciate the beauty of a screaming guitar .

Damn these young white kids
Get a new amp.. Starter pack amps are terrible.. and Metallica use Ernie Balls strings, if you wanted to change strings also
Last edited by Kiery at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Damn these young white kids

I know right? Always staying up all hours of the night, yelling, throwing shit around, sacrificing goats.... (ok, maybe that last one is just me )

Quote by KIERY
Get a new amp.. Starter pack amps are terrible.. and Metallica use Ernie Balls strings, if you wanted to change strings also

Thanks, thats awesome you know the exact strings they use! (my favorite band ever btw)
Cheap amps tend to not have much sustain...if you have a starter gutar also, same thing. Just save up while you are learning, get some advice as far as getting new gear and you will be set. BTW it would be nice if you post an MP3 on your profile so we can hear what the sound is.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Thanks, thats awesome you know the exact strings they use! (my favorite band ever btw)

Haha Metallica rock! But I only know cos it says on my Ernie Ball strings packet that Metallica use them :P along with a million other artists, so they're a pretty good type of string