Page 1 of 7
hallo everyone, times got rough around my house (last year in highschool and my parents are divorcing) so what would every 17 year old blessed with the curse of aspergers do? spend all his money on his hobby to forget everything else.

and with this comes probably my last project for a very long time, once i put the finishing touches on the last electric violin of course.

It is not a very common topic around here, but i've always enjoyed guitars like the megatar, chapman stick, warr, and other things of that such. basically a large flat fretboard attached to a small body with about 10-12 strings attached that is played with two hands on the fretboard. what's not to love?

just to give you a general idea of what i'm talking about, here are a few videos and pictures.

A very simple, but cool, song made on a megatar.

A familiar Joe Satch song played on a Warr i do believe.

pics-

Warr-

Chapman Stick

Now, what do i want?

I'm going to try to make the whole thing from things an average person can acquire without spending a ton of money on custom pieces.

So that will mean probably a 5 piece wide neck, with a two piece fretboard, using guitar pickups and bass pickups to keep from having to build my own, and making my own custom bridge from saddles from certain strats.

Mine will have a body, though more than likely it'll be made very thin and from a cheaper wood, since most of the mass will be in the neck anyways and it wont need to get it's tone from the body.

below is a picture of my idea, sorry if you can't read my scribble, it was mostly for myself and to show my theatre teacher (a potential customer )

Now that all you guys are "WTF"ing, lets break it down.

-12 strings, more than likely tuned like a 7 string for the first half (strings 1-7) then the strings 8-12 will standard guitar strings minus the high e. This wont make alot of sense to most people, but if you look at how most of these are tuned, it's like smashing two guitar necks together.

-two fretboards- to keep costs cheap, i really like the way it looks with two fretboards but together with a piece of binding or contrasting wood between. MMMM.

-fretting- this will be fretted, and the great thing is these guitars have no radius. dodged a bullet with that one!

-bolt on neck- this wood will already be a fortune to make this 35" scale length (give or take) neck, i dont need to add another foot or so to the price.

-pickups- they will most likely be two seperate guitar pickups in the neck position, and some sort of bass pickup in the bridge. dunno how i'm gonna do this exactly, i need to do more research.

-bridge will be made from strat tail pieces. ive seen this done alot with people making 7-8 string guitars on a budget. you just need a piece of bent metal and the saddles. simple enough. cheap and adjustable.

-the post on the bottom is so i can sit down and play it without a strap

-the controls will be in the upper horn, so as you see from those pictures, it is most convenient this way.

thoughts? ever seen one of these made?

suggestions? recommendations for a good mental hospital?

please keep in mind, this will rely on me being able to sell a few things first to finish off my budget for this, so it will be thanksgiving-ish before i can even start.

let's chat.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Sounds like ****ING cool idea, excuse my language. My only criticism would be that there's probably easier ways to tune it...
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
wow, sounds pretty cool

I've always wanted to try playing a tapping instrument like that, but haven't had the chance..

I don't really have much input as far as suggestions, but I'd definitely like to see how it turns out

edit: i think I'd also tune it a little different.
probably combining some variations on open tunings
Quote by Benjabenja
Sounds like ****ING cool idea, excuse my language. My only criticism would be that there's probably easier ways to tune it...

easier ways to tune it? what do you mean?

It will have the tuning it has for a reason, if that's what you mean. of course the tuning may not be final either. but unless i just decide to do all twelve strings in 4ths or 5ths intervals for the lulz, it will be two ranges of guitars.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

stickied! that is a great idea!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Pokémon CYOA
Click here for my electro tunes!

Proud user and abuser of Bugera
I may try to get google sketchup to work for me and make a sketch.

but i may just do more doodles.

remember, more attention this gets the more inspired i become !
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148

-two fretboards- to keep costs cheap, i really like the way it looks with two fretboards but together with a piece of binding or contrasting wood between. MMMM.
a piece wide enough to use as a single fretboard would cost a couple bucks, like $5 at a lumberyard. Though i think it would looks sweet with the contrasting stripe.

-bolt on neck- this wood will already be a fortune to make this 35" scale length (give or take) neck, i dont need to add another foot or so to the price.
again, a neck through would not cost that much more at all. It would be the same as doing a two piece body and a bolt/set neck.

-bridge will be made from strat tail pieces. ive seen this done alot with people making 7-8 string guitars on a budget. you just need a piece of bent metal and the saddles. simple enough. cheap and adjustable.
agreed.

in red. Overall though, this would cost maybe 20-40$ (not including planing/etc fees) in wood at a lumberyard. Seriously. So i dont see how this would be all that expensive to build. I don't know where your planning to get wood, but it's a ripoff regardless.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
sounds amazing, i am really liking the sound of these things on youtube, definitely make one man!
Quote by metalwarrior40
in red. Overall though, this would cost maybe 20-40$ (not including planing/etc fees) in wood at a lumberyard. Seriously. So i dont see how this would be all that expensive to build. I don't know where your planning to get wood, but it's a ripoff regardless.

that little?! i was looking at atleast $200 for everything..

time to look for some more lumber yards i guess.. last time i found one all they had was pine, pine, and more pine. i suppose it's because georgia is so covered up in pine trees? are there specific types of lumberyards i need to look for?

also, about the contrast stripe, now that you mention it, thats pretty awesome that i should be able to get it that cheap. but ever since i did the fretboard on my electric violin (i used the back of a strat neck with a skunk stripe) i dont think i'll ever build a guitar without that sexy stripe

if i can get the material, i'd much rather do a neck through! the next two weekends will be packed for me, helping a friend restore an old mustang tomorrow and having Dragon*con the next saturday. but after that ill get to stalking some lumberyards!
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by cedricsmods
Are you going to use two truss rods?
. . .
Twin skunk stripes????

yes. twin truss rods are an absolute necessity. i may even spring for some carbon fiber inserts.

the experts will need to chime in first on that though.

ill think about twin stripes lol.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

That cheap? Usually yes. I can get 7-9' of bookmatched curly maple,7- 9' of 2" thick sapele, and some 2" thick hard maple for necks around 200-250, including planing/bookmatch fee's and tax. That is enough wood for several guitars, so let that be the judge for your prices. Be aware some places make you buy in bulk, ie the whole board, as you see i do. See if they have off cuts for sale which my place also does, so you dont have to buy in bulk if you dont want to.

So your prob looking at 50-60 max including fees and tax if you shop right, and can find smaller pieces to buy.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
That cheap? Usually yes. I can get 7-9' of bookmatched curly maple,7- 9' of 2" thick sapele, and some 2" thick hard maple for necks around 200-250, including planing/bookmatch fee's and tax. That is enough wood for several guitars, so let that be the judge for your prices. Be aware some places make you buy in bulk, ie the whole board, as you see i do. See if they have off cuts for sale which my place also does, so you dont have to buy in bulk if you dont want to.

So your prob looking at 50-60 max including fees and tax if you shop right, and can find smaller pieces to buy.

i gotta find a place like that.

if so i'm about to cut the budget i'm going to need in half, i already have a buttload of the stuff i'll need.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I found out about the chapman stick a couple years ago, and have always wanted one. I was thinking about building one, but for now, I'm just getting into guitars.

Also, If I had one, I'd tune it to be just all the strings from a 5 string bass bass to a guitar:
BEADGBEadgbe

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Lookin good so far. I like the idea. You are always one of the more innovative builders. Wish I had some cash for my crazy insane projects...
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
well if i can find me a good source for the wood soon you guys may actually see 2 of these being made.

My theatre teacher said if i was going to make one, that he would put a down payment on one aswell. ive sold many pedals, but never done a custom guitar/bass/monstrosity.

now, lets say i did a maple neck and maple fretboard. what color body? in an effort to save money, i'll probably just paint it instead of doing a cap of sorts.

Quote by Tone Deaf
Lookin good so far. I like the idea. You are always one of the more innovative builders. Wish I had some cash for my crazy insane projects...

why thank you!

But to be perfectly honest, i wouldn't have made it this far without the other builders of debatable sanity that entered the scene way before i did.

most of my crazy stuff is just taking a little crazy stuff here and there and then doing something from that. like my latest electric violin (which since today is now about 6 holes away from being finished), most of the stuff in it came from somewhere else, i just compiled it and added my own flavor.

I have all the creativity and will to build in the world that i might need, but have a hard time with 100% originality. just like coldplay
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Aug 26, 2010,
Red. Definitely hot-rod red.

In fact, speaking of hot rods. I love car paints. And if you want something really wild? You should do red metal flake car paint with white metal flake flames. I personally think that it might be the most sexual thing in history.
-Edgar Degas
Quote by Tone Deaf
Red. Definitely hot-rod red.

In fact, speaking of hot rods. I love car paints. And if you want something really wild? You should do red metal flake car paint with white metal flake flames. I personally think that it might be the most sexual thing in history.

i'll see what i can do. i remember back in my days of doing model cars the only way to get a good flake paint was to mix it yourself, and i sold my airbrush system

unless something else comes up, i may see if i can rent/borrow one. no way i'm biting the bullet on another expensive system for one build
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

That's what friends in automotive shop are for.

And same here on the creativity /vs/ originality thing... Then they both square off against cash, and I'm just boned. D:
-Edgar Degas
I would recommend looking at the tunings that actual Chapman Sticks and Warr guitars already use.

For the most part, they start in the center, ie: The bass and treble courses are separated, with the lowest bass string and the lowest treble string next to each other, then tuned in 4ths/5ths up as you move towards the edges.

Most Stick players say that this opens up more chord voicings, and is generally easier to play in a tapping style than any other tuning.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I tried an auto paint shop once, the body became a drink coaster for about a week before they even prepped it. Thankfully I checked in before they did anything and got the body back and retracted my payment.

I know it was just one time, but I'd rather improve my own skills.

I'm starting to itch for a quilted maple top with a red to dark red burst..
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by Das_Skittles
I would recommend looking at the tunings that actual Chapman Sticks and Warr guitars already use.

For the most part, they start in the center, ie: The bass and treble courses are separated, with the lowest bass string and the lowest treble string next to each other, then tuned in 4ths/5ths up as you move towards the edges.

Most Stick players say that this opens up more chord voicings, and is generally easier to play in a tapping style than any other tuning.

sorry for double post, my iPod won't let me edit.

I've looked at real tunings, and I'm sure I'll try them. Mostly the reason why I think I'll just do the tuning like I said was that I've played two guitars at once and really liked it like that. It would help me get adjusted if I was doing something I was more familiar with.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Oh, well that sucks. I have always thought about taking a guitar body up to the local college's car tech area and seeing what they could do though.

I may save that for my Skillet tribute bass.

And yes. quilted maple with dark red finish would be exquisit.
-Edgar Degas
i've been asking around if anyone knew of any good lumberyards around here, looks like i'm hitting up google tonight..

wont get to go prowling at a yard till next weekend unless it's really close to where i'm at and i can hit it after school

if anyone has any suggestions please tell me by all means!
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

found me some local(ish) places
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
http://www.woodfinder.com/

found me some local(ish) places

you're my favorite person today. thank you so much.

found a place about 50 minutes away, and it's near my favorite fast food resturaunt and a krispy kreme too!

probably wont be what i buy, but does this sound about right price-wise?

click meeee
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Ah, you live near a wood craft. I can guarantee you'll have a great selection of woods. The price for that wood is about right,though a tad high, but it is already planed and such. That's a great sized board for neck lams/ neck blanks.

And your welcome, here to help.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
Ah, you live near a wood craft. I can guarantee you'll have a great selection of woods. The price for that wood is about right,though a tad high, but it is already planed and such. That's a great sized board for neck lams/ neck blanks.

And your welcome, here to help.

will they have the wood in stock, or will they have to order it?

it's about an hour drive from me, but i really feel it is worth it if i can pick it up and call it a day. drooling over all the amazing tools they probably sell is an added bonus

also, do you have any suggestions on what do do about pickups? i know they make a warr with just guitar pickups, but i dunno what i really want to do!
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

This is cool. I think when you've got AS and everything, you take fun in making things. That's why i'm doing Engineering lolz. I'll be keeping my eye out for this one.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
This is cool. I think when you've got AS and everything, you take fun in making things. That's why i'm doing Engineering lolz. I'll be keeping my eye out for this one.

definitely. if it wasnt for the required math skills, i would be aswell.

update.

tomorrow i'm going to that woodcraft place, and i'm going to try to pickup everything for the neck, as shown below in this drawing (since i cant explain for shit).

basically, it will be a neck composed of maple with a center piece of purple heart. but that purple heart will go all the way through the fretboard too. if the diagram doesnt make sense, just lemme know and i'll try to explain better.

if they dont have the wood (their online inventory system is offline for me) then i'll just order it.

edit- and i dont think it'll even cost me over $50 if shipping is free
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Aug 28, 2010,
thanks! I've never seen it done, hopefully i can do this crazy idea justice!

also, there may become a time when I am actually building that i don't post here. more updated stuff will be on my facebook (since i can send pictures of stuff straight from my phone to facebook in a matter of seconds, thanks to the awesome droid2 camera)

and you also get in on all my other rantings and other projects

Add me here on facebook
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

jawesome.

so how does the wood check out with everyone?

I'm deciding if i really want purple heart or not. if there is a way to keep it purple i'll get it. but i hear it fades. any ideas?

so far the plan is this
main neck wood-maple

middle wood- purple heart

Fretboard- black and white ebony (if i can actually get it the right size, this is wrong)

tell me what you think, i really like getting you guys involved. because if i don't know what people like, i can't sell the next one
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

You have to use a UV resistant finish on the purpleheart if you don't want it to turn brown.

Also, do you know the janka number/figure on that ebony by any chance?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Aug 28, 2010,
Quote by metalwarrior40
You have to use a UV resistant finish on the purpleheart if you don't want it to turn brown.

Also, do you know the jenka number/figure on that ebony by any chance?

where would i get a finish of such resistance?

Im unfamiliar with what you're asking about the figure, all i know it as is "Black and white ebony". sorry man
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
where would i get a finish of such resistance?

Im unfamiliar with what you're asking about the figure, all i know it as is "Black and white ebony". sorry man

I think they make UV resistant clear. Look for littlephils purpleheart build.

*found it*
Diospyros embryopteris->black/white ebony. I wanted to know since i've never seen this type of ebony before. It's gonna require a hard finish, fyi.
It's janka is 1470
Hard maple is 1450
Normal ebony is 3250
http://www.morlanwoodgifts.com/MM011.ASP?pageno=207
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim