Black outline = finger (yes I suck at drawing, thats why I got a C in art)
Green showing potential angle - NOTE it does not always have to be 45 deg.
Red = frets you play

E|------------5-10-|
B|----------7------|
G|--------7--------|
D|------7----------|
A|-5-10------------|
E|-----------------|

Should I be pivoting at a 45 degree angle between the B and E string both ways up and down?

I always ring out when doing the B string to E unless I play very slow. Obviously I'm going to be practicing this at 40 bpm for a long ass time, but am I doing it right? My fingering is just using index/middle/pinky for the whole thing.

Also, when barring... do I need to really arch my middle finger so I can bar the sweep better? Where exactly should the B string [assuming E std] land on your barring finger? Would it land on the lines between your top finger joint and the middle of your middle finger?

This is where the strings hit on my finger:

EDIT: I ****ed up the notes on the right, ignore those

Is there anything wrong with what I'm doing it?
Also if you say "do what feels comfortable", I tried that and it's not working.
: )
Last edited by Cjk10000 at Aug 26, 2010,
you have to roll your middle finger over the strings... palm muting is also essential in sweep picking to keep the notes from ringing together...
Quote by Cjk10000
How do you place the middle finger in this sweep to make it clean?

Very Carefully.

To actually answer your question, you should not be barring for sweep picking. In order to get a clean sound you need to be able to pick your finger up off the string when you play the next note, which is obviously impossible with a barre. In addition to making it cleaner, it should also be easier to use all of your fingers. I really don't know how you could even barre the sweep unless your playing all the same fret, which isn't a very common sweeping pattern (I play one song where I do that, but it always sounds messy to me. Its almost impossible to play a normal sweep all on the same fret though.)
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Sorry, I made a MAJOR fudge up. I apologize, I do NOT bar my chords. I have done rolling on arpeggios and I can roll, just I suck at rolling on 3 strings

Would my rolling technique be accurate? Do you roll like I do?
Last edited by Cjk10000 at Aug 26, 2010,
You don't have to pivot 45 degrees, that's way too much.
The strings should hit your finger like this: The D-string on the tip, just like you would play single note. Then roll your middle finger down, by slightly pulling your finger back and rotating 'into the neck'. At that point, your finger should be properly fretting both the G and B strings, so pick those and then release your middle fingler as you play the E string note, so that they don't overlap. It's no problem if the G- and B-string notes slightly overlap, because when played up to speed it will be 1 quick smooth hand motion and you won't be able to hear every separate note anyway.

Also try not picking the '10' on the a-string, but hammer-on instead, to significantly increase the cleanness of the sweep. Once you can play it like that, work from there on.
Last edited by Oixord at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by Oixord
You don't have to pivot 45 degrees, that's way too much.
The strings should hit your finger like this: The D-string on the tip, just like you would play single note. Then roll your middle finger down, by slightly pulling your finger back and rotating 'into the neck'. At that point, your finger should be properly fretting both the G and B strings, so pick those and then release your middle fingler as you play the E string note, so that they don't overlap. It's no problem if the G- and B-string notes slightly overlap, because when played up to speed it will be 1 quick smooth hand motion and you won't be able to hear every separate note anyway.

Also try not picking the '10' on the a-string, but hammer-on instead, to significantly increase the cleanness of the sweep. Once you can play it like that, work from there on.

Is this one of those sweeps that you will always have a slight bit of ringing out between strings D and G, or will awesome technique and hours of work allow for each string to be played clean at 120 bpm for example?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd do that roll with my Ring finger instead of my middle finger. I find it much easier and natural to do the roll with my ring, but hey try it both ways and whatever feels comfortable do it.
Quote by Cjk10000
Is this one of those sweeps that you will always have a slight bit of ringing out between strings D and G, or will awesome technique and hours of work allow for each string to be played clean at 120 bpm for example?

The second. You just have to get used to the motion until it feels natural and comfortable.
Last edited by Oixord at Aug 27, 2010,
You should just keep your finger parallel to the fret bars and just work on your 3-string rolling.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.