I tune my high E down to a B. I discovered recently this can make your guitar sound like a 12-string because of the two strings being the same note and you can just barre the two strings in chords. but I don't want to do this is it's going to result in warping
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
well, if left for a long time it could affect the intonation; guitar neck like to have a constant amount of pressure on them, but short term itd ok to try out. to longest ill leave a guitar tuned down is about a week

try it out. if you really like it, set it up.

EDIT: what the guy below me said.

I had my acoustic in A tuning for a few weeks before i discovered it could affect intonation, but it still plays a charm, though that being said it has heaveir strings.

basically, experiment. most guitarists go through it.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 26, 2010,
Key word there - COULD!!!

I have taken my Fernandes guitar down to Drop A, and left it there for a long time. NO ISSUES! It COULD...but may not!
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
Key word there - COULD!!!

I have taken my Fernandes guitar down to Drop A, and left it there for a long time. NO ISSUES! It COULD...but may not!

I'm gonna start off by responding to 365_days_gone by saying: Bullshit!

TS, here's the thing. Unless you specifically set up your guitar to handle having your High E dropped to B, it WILL warp your neck. It WILL screw over your intonation. (Notice I said will, not could.) Need I go on?
If you did it like that for a few days, yeah, you'd be fine. Any more than a few days, you're working towards permanently screwing yourself over.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I'm gonna start off by responding to 365_days_gone by saying: Bullshit!

TS, here's the thing. Unless you specifically set up your guitar to handle having your High E dropped to B, it WILL warp your neck. It WILL screw over your intonation. (Notice I said will, not could.) Need I go on?
If you did it like that for a few days, yeah, you'd be fine. Any more than a few days, you're working towards permanently screwing yourself over.
wtf? Why would I lie about that? What do I gain? I am telling you, the entire guitar was taken down to Drop A. I have since then tuned back up to standard, and I do not experience a single issue. If it warped my neck, would I not have noticed this by now?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Eh, I had my starcaster tuned to E for a couple weeks, and I think the neck is a little messed up now.

And when I said E, I mean all the strings are tuned to E.

So yes, there's a chance. It still plays sorta fine, it just buzzes really badly on the 12th fret. Probably just needs a truss rod adjustment.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by 365_days_gone
wtf? Why would I lie about that? What do I gain? I am telling you, the entire guitar was taken down to Drop A. I have since then tuned back up to standard, and I do not experience a single issue. If it warped my neck, would I not have noticed this by now?

oh good another argument, im having one in deathcore thread right now, though im attemping to just end it, cba...

short term. tuen down. no worries, long term. expensive fix needed.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
oh good another argument, im having one in deathcore thread right now, though im attemping to just end it, cba...

short term. tuen down. no worries, long term. expensive fix needed.

what? haha. How is this an argument? I am just stating an experience I had, and someone says I am making it up? wtf? wow. haha
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
What if say I have one or two songs in that tuning and play them a couple times a week, tuning back up to standard afterwards? Will that have the same result, or does warping only happen when you leave it in the tuning.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
you do realize adjusting a truss rod is pretty easy?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm with 365_days_gone, I've also experienced no negative results when tuning around. (D# standard to drop C# to drop A# to C standard and back to drop D#.)

I think messing with the truss rod is a seriously overused prescription. In my experience, you don't have to mess with the truss rod unless it was already messed with and shouldn't have been.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think you'll be fine as well. It probably won't play the best and if it has a trem it will be hard to setup, but if you use a decently heavy gauge string your neck isn't going to bend like a pretzel.
okay, any saying you will wreck your guitar is dumb. worst possible outcome is you'll need a minor truss rod adjustment.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I'm pretty sure TS is just talking about tuning the high e down, and nothing else. I'm pretty sure one string won't have that much of an affect, if any.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Offworld92
I'm with 365_days_gone, I've also experienced no negative results when tuning around. (D# standard to drop C# to drop A# to C standard and back to drop D#.)

I think messing with the truss rod is a seriously overused prescription. In my experience, you don't have to mess with the truss rod unless it was already messed with and shouldn't have been.

THANK YOU! Guy is nuts to say I am lying. Why the hell would I lie? I am trying to provide accurate advice to someone based on personal experience.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
I swear I read some of the most retarded shit on this site. Dropping your high E to B is not going to warp your neck. The other strings have more than enough tension on them to prevent anything remotely like that. Shit you could cut the damn high E string off and leave it like that for a year and your neck won't warp. Some of you guys seriously think guitar necks are as fragile as a piece of glass.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
And as for the truss rod comment...... guitars WILL need truss rod adjustments for a number of things. Going up in string guage, downtuning, climate changes, etc. To think if a truss rod hasn't been messed with it should never have to be is just wrong.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by yellowv
I swear I read some of the most retarded shit on this site. Dropping your high E to B is not going to warp your neck. The other strings have more than enough tension on them to prevent anything remotely like that. Shit you could cut the damn high E string off and leave it like that for a year and your neck won't warp. Some of you guys seriously think guitar necks are as fragile as a piece of glass.

when guys say warp, sometimes they get the wrong idea.

if you take the strings off a guitar, or if you down tune, up and down, then yeah you'll probably want to keep checking the neck.

because it could need an adjustment.

in other words, it might "warp".

that doesn't mean it's broken. it just needs an adjustment.

shit, all guitars need adjustment from time to time.

like said, you guys know that adjusting the neck is simple,
if you follow instructions, right?

anyway, you're more likely to need an adjustment if you play around with the strings, or the tunings. but that doesnt mean you shouldnt use the guitar.

it just means, you should learn how to set up your guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by yellowv

This. People on here are intentionally retarded, I swear.

Necks aren't gonna warp that easily, and if they do then it's because you've abused the living crap out of it and subjected it to things a neck should not be subject to. Don't do anything that common sense tells you are stupid. Aside from that you should be fine. Often the problems with tuning down are more about your strings not having sufficient tension to play and sound right than worrying about a warped neck.
Quote by enselmis
This. People on here are intentionally retarded, I swear.

Necks aren't gonna warp that easily, and if they do then it's because you've abused the living crap out of it and subjected it to things a neck should not be subject to. Don't do anything that common sense tells you are stupid. Aside from that you should be fine. Often the problems with tuning down are more about your strings not having sufficient tension to play and sound right than worrying about a warped neck.

again. a lot of times guys refer to a neck being "warped", meaning, "needing adjustment,"

and not broken or twisted in any way.

so it's really important to understand that some of this confusion is from the use of the word WARPed when describing the issues of leaving a guitar without tension.

Quote by Offworld92

the guitar is not going to be broken, but might need some adjustments.

this second part is really very wrong. it's VERY easy to test neck relief.
and just as easy to adjust a neck when following simple instructions.

if you ever need me to go over these things with you, please visit the setup thread at the top of the page.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by yellowv

my thoughts on this exactly. warping occurs when the neck is twisted, improperly stored for a length of time, improper curing (building process), moisture or any combination of these factors.
having a single string tuned down will NOT cause a neck to warp, since all strings pull in the same direction. you will only lose a few pounds of force on the neck. there is approximately 130 to 160 pounds of tension depending on scale length, gauge of string and materials used in strings. losing a few pounds of tension is not enough to do any damage to a neck.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by Alucard817
my thoughts on this exactly. warping occurs when the neck is twisted, improperly stored for a length of time, improper curing (building process), moisture or any combination of these factors.
having a single string tuned down will NOT cause a neck to warp, since all strings pull in the same direction. you will only lose a few pounds of force on the neck. there is approximately 130 to 160 pounds of tension depending on scale length, gauge of string and materials used in strings. losing a few pounds of tension is not enough to do any damage to a neck.

well, ok, i'm not sure if my posts are invisible or not, but no.

many , many, TECHS will call a perfectly healthy neck WARPed, when it needs an adjustment.

so a really important thing to do, especially in this thread, would be to be specific when talking about a "warped" vs "a healthy neck needing an adjustment."
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565

many , many, TECHS will call a perfectly healthy neck WARPed, when it needs an adjustment.

so a really important thing to do, especially in this thread, would be to be specific when talking about a "warped" vs "a healthy neck needing an adjustment."

Yeah and a lot of "techs" can't even do a basic setup or pickup install. Sadly the term "tech" is used very loosely these days.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
Yeah and a lot of "techs" can't even do a basic setup or pickup install. Sadly the term "tech" is used very loosely these days.

what does that have to do with any of this?

if the term is used. and a lot of these kids are confused, then doesn't it make even more sense to be specific when posting concerning this?

these guys get confused because the term warped gets thrown around as much as it does. you only need to look at the title to realize this.

there's a reason why the ts didnt ask if the guitar will BREAK.

he wants to know if it'll WARP because he doesn't know what the frig that means.

who cares which term is correct. how about we get the correct point across once and for all in EG so that the same topic doesnt always repeat over and over.

come on, everyone here, who knows the correct answer to his question, including you, knows that the terminology here is part of the problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565

no what? are you implying my information is incorrect? care to show a source or two?
Quote by jj1565

those techs should NOT be techs then. if they dont know proper terminology. as others have said the term tech is used too loosely these days. its also nice to know the techs in my area are nothing like the techs you claim to quote.
Quote by jj1565

i thought i was clear.
TS, to be honest, I'll throw my schecter anywhere from drop C to E standard, depending on how I'm feeling, and I only adjust the truss rod on that thing 3 or 4 times a year. I HIGHLY doubt that you will have to do any really adjustment of any kind if you're just dropping the high E to the B, other that just a slight turn of the truss rod
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
what does that have to do with any of this?

if the term is used. and a lot of these kids are confused, then doesn't it make even more sense to be specific when posting concerning this?

these guys get confused because the term warped gets thrown around as much as it does. you only need to look at the title to realize this.

there's a reason why the ts didnt ask if the guitar will BREAK.

he wants to know if it'll WARP because he doesn't know what the frig that means.

who cares which term is correct. how about we get the correct point across once and for all in EG so that the same topic doesnt always repeat over and over.

[I]come on, everyone here, who knows the correct answer to his question, including you, knows that the terminology here is part of the problem.

exactly

simply put "warp" is going out of shape..the way I see it,it can be a few millimeters and it can be up until your neck is broken and unusable.....

usually,going form E standard to Drop B will technically "warp" your neck(or go out of original/natural shape)...but it can be fixed by turning the truss rod because its so little...and thats why the truss rod is there for,to keep your neck in correct shape
Quote by Alucard817
no what? are you implying my information is incorrect? care to show a source or two?

Your high horse...

...Get off it. You want sources look here. I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of valuable sources in this thread. (Oh, and check who made that thread...)

those techs should NOT be techs then. if they dont know proper terminology. as others have said the term tech is used too loosely these days. its also nice to know the techs in my area are nothing like the techs you claim to quote.

Just because you don't use proper terminology doesn't mean you don't know. I say warped neck when I'm talking to people, because 90% of people to use warped and bowed interchangeably. It's just how things are...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by jj1565

i'm familiar with this feeling.

i would only further confuse or derail the thread is i give my definition of warped.

relief or slope are terms i've used. either way, some simple adjustments are all that's needed. as said, if you have a little understanding of what you are doing.

also check the set up thread.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm familiar with this feeling.

i would only further confuse or derail the thread is i give my definition of warped.

relief or slope are terms i've used. either way, some simple adjustments are all that's needed. as said, if you have a little understanding of what you are doing.

also check the set up thread.

aahhh com'on git outta he're!

+1 to the horse and the other posts.

and yes, to the other guy asking if his post is wrong.
in this context it's not the full information and therefore misleading.

a warped neck is also, and might only be, a neck need in need of adjustment.

a twisted neck is a twisted neck. they are not typically interchangeable.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by biga29

Your high horse...

...Get off it. You want sources look here. I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of valuable sources in this thread. (Oh, and check who made that thread...)

Just because you don't use proper terminology doesn't mean you don't know. I say warped neck when I'm talking to people, because 90% of people to use warped and bowed interchangeably. It's just how things are...

oh i think i understand now, thank you.
so basically because i use PROPER terminology, and i use the term "warped" to describe DAMAGE then im on a high horse. wow what a compelling argument.
Im a PC tech myself and i will correct a persons terminology instead of just feeding into it. oh and the understanding of terminology are the first things techs learn.
Quote by wordnet
S: (adj) warped (used especially of timbers or boards; bent out of shape usually by moisture) "the floors were warped and cracked"

source
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=warped
Quote by jj1565

and yes, to the other guy asking if his post is wrong.
in this context it's not the full information and therefore misleading.

a warped neck is also, and might only be, a neck need in need of adjustment.

what did i leave out? care to enlighten me?
a neck thats only in need of adjustment is called a bowed neck. back bow or forward bow. why is this so hard for people to grasp.
i love the ad-hominem's that people use here instead of, oh i dont know facts.
Quote by Alucard817

a neck thats only in need of adjustment is called a bowed neck. back bow or forward bow. why is this so hard for people to grasp.

yea, we know this, if you read the thread you will see that we are complaining about the same thing.

also, why do you post like there is sand in your vajayjay? please lose the whole holier than thou tude you have going. be nice, talk nice, play nice.

why get so worked up over such a simple semantic? it's not like those of us that know what we are talking about don't get it.

don't take this post as an attack, it's intended to basically say chill out broski.
Quote by gregs1020
yea, we know this, if you read the thread you will see that we are complaining about the same thing.

also, why do you post like there is sand in your vajayjay? please lose the whole holier than thou tude you have going. be nice, talk nice, play nice.

why get so worked up over such a simple semantic? it's not like those of us that know what we are talking about don't get it.

don't take this post as an attack, it's intended to basically say chill out broski.

for your information i dont have sand in my vajayjay i have fret wire.
and why tell me this, im the one being accused of being on a high horse, and having ad-hominem attacks thrown at me. and im the one who needs to chill.
maybe if some people (not yourself) learned how to get information across instead of being dicks about it then i wouldnt have to act so defensively
I am being nice, im the one getting mocked/attacked (whatever you wanna call it) atleast i can show a valid source

by the way people here have ABSOLUTELY NO DEBATING SKILLS AT ALL, maybe thats why they get so butthurt when someone corrects them.
Wow, what's with the butthurt?

Quote by Alucard817

Im a PC tech myself

Oh, that explains it.
Quote by Alucard817
and why tell me this, im the one being accused of being on a high horse, and having ad-hominem attacks thrown at me. and im the one who needs to chill.
maybe if some people (not yourself) learned how to get information across instead of being dicks about it then i wouldnt have to act so defensively
I am being nice, im the one getting mocked/attacked (whatever you wanna call it) atleast i can show a valid source

by the way people here have ABSOLUTELY NO DEBATING SKILLS AT ALL, maybe thats why they get so butthurt when someone corrects them.

we aren't here to debate. generally we are here to help kids with their guitars. that's by far what happens most. other than occasional shecter and emg ripping.

the verbiage is semantics. usually "warped" in the guitar world means "twisted". i don't know if that is the case for wood floors, i'm not a carpenter.

anyway, i thought your posts came across as a bit over the top aggressive. maybe you are too sensitive, maybe i'm reading into it.

either way. biga and jj1565 are both extremely helpful people that post here daily. i can't get between you and them, you need to find a way to play together. i don't speak for them.

just .02. i could be wrong. but i do know that if it escalates someone will get warned/banned/butthurt or all of the above. fwiw.
It took me a minute to get the 'high horse' picture... Hehe, I'm slow.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Alucard817

i'm sure i didnt mock or attack or anything like that.

i was just trying to enlighten you, to use your word, that the word is commonly used.
no, i'm not going to start linking sites, but if you feel like googling fret relief set up sites, that these kids use every day, then you'll find that it's probably about 20% that interchange the word warped for bowed. i swear to whatever God any of you might pray to, that i don't use the word.

if you look at the past thousand threads up in the set up thread, you wouldnt even find a whisper of the word warped to describe neck relief.

i was only explaining why the guys that posted in this thread. the ones that were being mocked and attacked, prior to my posting, why those guys are so confused.

if you want to clarify what you mean when you say warped, then bravo, you have just helped eg and one day UG might throw you a huge parade. don't hold your breath.

if you don't want to explain, and chose to toss around the phrase warped, knowing that it's probably confusing some of the members, including the one that started the thread.

then i guess, go for it. life goes on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62