I need to buy a new amp to play in a my cousins band. the lead guitarist has a marshal mg full stack 100 watt. Im looking at a Peavey 6505 60 Watt tube (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp?sku=582106&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=335406065). Will it provide the distortion I need for a metalcore band, And will it also be able to compete in volume with the stack
The Peavey will be louder, so yes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You'll probably be able to drown him out, OP. The MG is quiet for 100w SS.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Lol yea i havent heard too many great things about mg's. Will I have enough distortion for good sounds chugs, and pinch harmonics?
Quote by xNIHILISMx
Lol yea i havent heard too many great things about mg's. Will I have enough distortion for good sounds chugs, and pinch harmonics?

Yes, the 6505 is the quintessential metal amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xNIHILISMx

You'll have more than enough distortion with the gain on 5 or 6
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by patriotplayer90
He Has a , seriously?

fixed.

yea go with the peavey.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 27, 2010,
humans as well.

enjoy the 6505.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I feel sorry for the lead guitarist. For the money he dropped on that, he could have got something half decent.

TS, the 6505 will be better in every possible way.

Your setup makes me want to cry. I'm much more of a lead player than a rhythm player, so imagining a band playing with a sick rhythm tone, and then a ****ing awful lead MG tone on top of that... just makes me want to jump off a bridge.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have that amp and it really cuts through live and has more than enough gain to satisfy. He will get muddy as you get clarity at higher volumes.

The Sheffield speaker is meh though.
Your other guitarist will probably throw his MG out the window once he hears your amp if you get a 6505+
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by xNIHILISMx
I need to buy a new amp to play in a my cousins band. the lead guitarist has a marshal mg full stack 100 watt. Im looking at a Peavey 6505 60 Watt tube (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp?sku=582106&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=335406065). Will it provide the distortion I need for a metalcore band, And will it also be able to compete in volume with the stack

Shoot him.
Last edited by Ubadood at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
Your other guitarist will probably throw his MG out the window once he hears your amp if you get a 6505+

I dont think so,you have to be tone deaf in the first place to buy a MG Full stack

he probably will like the "crushing overdrive" of his MG more than the 6505
Quote by archenemyfan
I dont think so,you have to be tone deaf in the first place to buy a MG Full stack

he probably will like the "crushing overdrive" of his MG more than the 6505

Hey I purchased a Marshall MG many years ago!

When I was a guitar n00b and didn't know about this site
Its quite easy to fall into the "It says Marshall on the front it must be good!" trap
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless

Its quite easy to fall into the "It says Marshall on the front it must be good!" trap

well MG combo OK,but full stack seriously?how can beginners afford full stacks?

keep in mind I'm talking about the Full stack...
Quote by Cisc
check this out though, I used to have a mghdfx and we recorded this song with it..it actually turned out great...

I did use an eq as an input boost and a sonic maximizer on it though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2T57l0WzJw

But now i have a 6506+ and would never use a mg again!

Sounds like a solid-state Marshall to me

Way too much gain, sounds like you were going for a Dimebag tone. It's not the worst I've heard out of an MG, but also not the best. It does sound very stiff, artificial and really weird in the mids though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Talentless

And you didn't have a pair of ears many years ago?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Never ever go for the MG series. I obtained one about a year ago. It sounded like shit! it was the 102fx. I ended up sending it back and getting my 6505 112. I am a LOT happier. I simply can't understand why Marshall would pass off something like that as one of their own.
"That's my bread and butter your f*cking with"......Metalocalypse

----------------------------------------------
Peavey 6505 112+

Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Quote by Cathbard
And you didn't have a pair of ears many years ago?

I was not really that clued up on tone to be honest with you. Had no real point of reference and there are very few good guitar retailers where I live. Or more that there weren't the 6 or 7 years ago I purchased the MG.

Due to this I purchased the Marshall MG online without first trying one out. I simply wanted a marshall due to its name in my price range and ended up with a Marshall MG50DFX. I didn't have a clue what solid state, tube amps or modelling amps were.

Was a definite upgrade from the Kustom KGA10 I had been using for 2 or 3 years. I did however quickly outgrow that Marshall MG.

I am now quite the tone chaser however as you can tell in my sig, we all have to learn one way or another and without guidance of some kind the learning takes even longer!

Ear for tone is something that definitely develops over time like any other guitar based talents and skills.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Lets put it this way. My other guitar player has an MG100 watt half stack. He'll put it at full and my valveking defeats it with 1/3 volume. So with this amp I think it would be pretty close in your situation, i still think you would win. And yeah, this has plenty of gain!
A SS Fullstack is still almost worthless. I remember using SS stacks and I would have to turn it all the way up to the point before it started sounding flubby and s&@#$ty so that I could be heard. Plus it doesn't cut through, just sounds like a wall of sound.
Quote by Cisc
check this out though, I used to have a mghdfx and we recorded this song with it..it actually turned out great...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0

That is all.

Edit:
What I mean to say is, It still sounded like ass. Please dont boost an MG... ever...
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Aug 31, 2010,
Quote by Cisc

Hate to say it but that sounded awful.

Lol, just kidding dude, I loved to say that.
Quote by scaryfried
sounds horrible still. it's just drowned in loads of effects.

It's not that bad. The one I played was a pretty decent sounding amp (the new MGs), but the reason everyone doesn't like them here is either:

A) They've realized that there's better amps out there for the price.

B) They're listening to what everyone else says on this forum and not thinking for themselves, so they go try it with the idea that it already sucks. Of course it sucks if you already "know" it sucks.

or

C) They've never even tried one and are just jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm not really defending the MG here, it's not an amp I would ever own, but as long as you're not a retard and scoop all your mids out and crank the bass and treble, they're fully capable of getting some decent sounds out of. Obviously, if you have the full stack though, you're high and just wasted a lot of money... but for someone using it for what it is, a practice amp, or have a combo that they got cheap and use it with a band, then I say go for it. Who cares what others think of your tone? If you like it, then go for it. However, if you come on this forum and ask people if it's a good amp, you better be flexible in changing your mind about what amp to buy
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
exactly, it's what it is - a practice amp. but that stupid rob chappers video is trying to show that it's a great amp - which it's not, it's a crappy sounding practice amp. practice amps don't need to sound great though.
i have a 6505+ and it has more than enough gain i have it at 5 or 6 and its perfect for metalcore.GO AND BUY THE AMP
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Mg 15dfx
Boss dd-3
Korg PitchBlack
Isp Decimator

Quote by madh4ttr
+10 to you and GO RED SOX