Page 1 of 2
Since my dad has killed just about every dream I have ever had, I'm going to do what he wants me to do and become an engineer. What is it exactly that engineers do? I know they build stuff but more specific? What kind of education? And what's the pay like? my only goals in life are to make lots of money and have a nice car. I'm 16 so I still have some time. I didn't know or care what I wanted to be when I grew up because my dad always told me I couldn't anything I wanted but I hate not knowing what I want so I decided to just do what he wants.
Education wise: University and then lots of training in work.

Also, use google for crying out loud.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by BloodyPaperclip
Since my dad has killed just about every dream I have ever had, I'm going to do what he wants me to do and become an engineer. What is it exactly that engineers do? I know they build stuff but more specific? What kind of education? And what's the pay like? my only goals in life are to make lots of money and have a nice car. I'm 16 so I still have some time. I didn't know or care what I wanted to be when I grew up because my dad always told me I couldn't anything I wanted but I hate not knowing what I want so I decided to just do what he wants.

That won't be hard if you're an engineer, but you should really think about doing something else with your life.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
The highest paid bachelor's degrees in America are primarily engineering degrees. Engineering sucks.
You study like a ****ing animal and apply science to (in theory) better society.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Engineering takes a lot of hard work. I went to Purdue, which has a very prestigious engineering program. You'd best be doing it for yourself and not your dad if you want to motivate yourself to do all that work.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Number One, don't listen to your dad. If he tells you that you can't do something, tell him to go **** himself.

Number Two, being so apathetic about your life is a good way to be miserable. Find something you're really interested in (and if you're dad said you can't do it, ignore that), and research it. See if it's a field you could stand working in, and if you can. even volunteer and prove your dad wrong.
Quote by BloodyPaperclip
Since my dad has killed just about every dream I have ever had, I'm going to do what he wants me to do and become an engineer.

Do not do this. Do not.

I could give you a long involved reason, but I'm busy/it's my day off and I'd rather not think about Uni, so just believe me when I say I'm studying psychology, and this will lead to a shit load of problems later on in life.

EDIT: Also, if you're doing something you don't want to do, you'll have no motivation to do it, and will probably fail, wasting thousands of dollars in the process.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Aug 26, 2010,
Anyway, TS, if you don't actually want to study engineering, I can assure you, you're not going to finish the career.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
It depends on what discipline you want to go into within engineering. But if that's really not something that interests you, or that you are good in (Calculus, Physics, etc..) Then I would highly recommend not doing it. Do what you want, it's your life and you have one chance.
Quote by damian_91
Anyway, TS, if you don't actually want to study engineering, I can assure you, you're not going to finish the career.
Definitely this. There's too much work and studying to be done to just do it because your dad said to.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
There are lots of kinds of Engineering. You have Civil Engineering. These guys design constructions such as bridges, roads, awesome buildings, and much more.
You have Mechanical Engineering. These guys design things such as engines, vehicles, heavy machinery, etc.
Software Engineering and Systems Engineering. These are the guys behind the construction of large software and computers systems. That's what I'm studying.
Aerospace Engineering. They design and build aircrafts, spacecrafts, and lots of awesome shit.

There are tons of kinds of Engineering branches, but they all deal with the systematic analysis and construction of awesome stuff going from specification and design, to testing and maintenance stages. I'd say that scientists discover shit. We put shit to use.
There are lots of maths and physics involved, specially if you deal with stuff that has mass (unlike software for example). As a Systems Engineering student, I have Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Physics 1, and Physics 2 courses. A friend in Materials Engineering has up to Physics 4, and Calculus 3 or 4. But there's always a need for these assignments.
As an engineer you also have to learn lots of boring stuff for us such as laws, administration, etc...
The money is good.

If you like that, it's awesome and go for engineering. But if you're not into that stuff my advice is to study something you love rather than what your dad wished you did.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Aug 26, 2010,
^ Don't forget differential equations: The heart and soul of engineering.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Got Guitar?
^ Don't forget differential equations: The heart and soul of engineering.

Aren't they included in Calculus 1 and 2? Maybe the programs change from country to country but I've seen differential equations of one and two variables in Calculus 1 and 2.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Do not do this. Do not.

I could give you a long involved reason, but I'm busy/it's my day off and I'd rather not think about Uni, so just believe me when I say I'm studying psychology, and this will lead to a shit load of problems later on in life.

EDIT: Also, if you're doing something you don't want to do, you'll have no motivation to do it, and will probably fail, wasting thousands of dollars in the process.

Then why do it?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Zombee
Engineering takes a lot of hard work. I went to Purdue, which has a very prestigious engineering program. You'd best be doing it for yourself and not your dad if you want to motivate yourself to do all that work.

NO WAY, i'm a freshmen at purdue right now!! any advice?
Quote by BloodyPaperclip

As an engineering student, I can say this with confidence:
If you're not motivated to study engineering it will fucking kill you
but to be fare, I find it enjoyable, very interesting and the pay is quite lovely, and their are awesome clubs/society like the Society of Automotive Engineers where we waist the university's/local sponsor's money building a Formula 1 car among other things.

So what do YOU want to do?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by dylanfromearth
NO WAY, i'm a freshmen at purdue right now!! any advice?

What you understand by 'free time' is now and forever gone. That's not really a piece of advice, but I thought I'd just let you know.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by urik
Aren't they included in Calculus 1 and 2? Maybe the programs change from country to country but I've seen differential equations of one and two variables in Calculus 1 and 2.
Here's how it is at Ohio State University:

Calculus 1: Single variable differentiation
Calculus 2: Single variable integration
Calculus 3: Limits, Taylor Series, vector calculus
Calculus 4: Multi variable differentiation and integration
Differential equations: Ordinary, partial, linear, and nonlinear differential equations; Fourier series; boundary value problems.

Five required courses for every engineering going to Ohio State.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Got Guitar?

Differential equations: Ordinary, partial, linear, and nonlinear differential equations; Fourier series; boundary value problems.

Pft, you should add a Laplace transform to your signature, so much more badass than Fourier series.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by Got Guitar?

Indeed, it's different. Calculus 1 - 3 is Calculus 1 for me. Calculus 4 is Calculus 2 for me. Differential Equations are spread between Calculus 1 and 2.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by damian_91
Pft, you should add a Laplace transform to your signature, so much more badass than Fourier series.
We didn't even cover Laplace transform in my diff eq course. We covered Laplace's equation; however, I highly doubt they're related.

Quote by urik
Indeed, it's different. Calculus 1 - 3 is Calculus 1 for me. Calculus 4 is Calculus 2 for me. Differential Equations are spread between Calculus 1 and 2.
Wow. That's really interesting. I wonder if it was any easier or difficult doing diff eq while you were learning the calculus in order to do the diff eq.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Last edited by Got Guitar? at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by damian_91
What you understand by 'free time' is now and forever gone. That's not really a piece of advice, but I thought I'd just let you know.

I have heard people say that.. I have also head that if you budget your time wisely and study appropriately then you are fine. I met a person yesterday who is in rotc, a frat, and civil engineering. So any relevent advice?
Quote by Got Guitar?
We didn't even cover Laplace transform in my diff eq course. We covered Laplace's equation; however, I highly doubt they're related.

I could compare solving a diff equation using Laplace transform to killing a mosquito using a Browning 50 cal, so damn powerful it makes you feel bad for the mosquito/equation.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by damian_91
I could compare solving a diff equation using Laplace transform to killing a mosquito using a Browning 50 cal, so damn powerful it makes you feel bad for the mosquito/equation.
hahaha. That much over kill? I'll have to check if my diff eq text has a section/chapter on this.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Engineering sucks real badly. I am serious.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I know lots of engineers; it seems like you have to enjoy it or you probably wont even make it through first semester.

Engineering is probably a good way to make a lot of money (7 of the top 10 paying degrees are engineering specialties), but it's certainly not the only way to get a high paying job from a university degree. Statistics/actuarial science, economics, physics, computer science, law, medicine and business are some other degrees that can lead to a high wage. So see if some of those interest you. You have to do something you enjoy or it's honestly probably not even worth getting paid well.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Last edited by greatone_12 at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by damian_91

When you do vibration analysis and you need to have a general answer, Laplace transforms makes things quite easier.

EDIT: Also TS, you will have little or negligible time to do things that you want to do. Want to go to some party Friday night? Best to eliminate such thoughts from now. Sure you might find 4 hours of time where you have no classes, but you'd most likely have some project to do during that time.
Last edited by rock.freak667 at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by rock.freak667
When you do vibration analysis and you need to have a general answer, Laplace transforms makes things quite easier.

Just like Fourier transforms for seismic analysis. Shame on you, TS, you will never be that badass.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
Quote by BloodyPaperclip
I didn't know or care what I wanted to be when I grew up because my dad always told me I couldn't anything I wanted but I hate not knowing what I want so I decided to just do what he wants.

Also, by the sounds of it engineering is a pretty solid career. Your work terms pretty much pay off your tuition, and you usually have a job with whoever hired you as a student when you're done your education so it should be pretty decent. I'm thinking of doing engineering myself, taking all the math and sciences course I can in high school.
you wont pass engineering unless you really want to be an engineer. grow some balls and do what you want with your life.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by BloodyPaperclip
I'm horrible with math just for the record

How bad are we talking here? Can you do trigs and differentiation/integration well?
biological engineering has a lot of potential in the upcoming years with stim cells and such.

get your phd in that then figure out artificial intelligence. then use it to destroy the world and prove your dad wrong.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by BloodyPaperclip
Well why are you even considering engineering? You know you don't have to do what your parents want, just pick a career that you like and will at least give you some financial stability, and if he can't see you're happy with your choice then he can fuck right off.
Screw your dad. Do something YOU want to do, just to spite him. Prove him wrong and that you can be what you want. This is coming from an engineer whose father wanted him to be a doctor. My dad was the same way.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by BloodyPaperclip
Put in the most simple term: You're fucked. Being an engineering major, you're just a step or two away from being a math major. Difference between the math people and the engineers is that we like the applied science.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Page 1 of 2