im looking at a crate v33h and v212 halfstack. its $350 and i play classic rock and shred. its in perfect condition with all the original parts. should i get it?
Do you like the sound of it?
If yes: get it
If not: keep looking for something you like
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I'd say unless your a million percent sure then dont. I had a Crate v50efx & it sucked plus the resale value is one of the worst...so if you don't like, expect to take a loss if there is no return policy.
Don't get the V212 cabinet, they're not very great... go for a used Mesa or Avatar instead.

Also I'm not sure the V33 will do shred very well without some modding. The SLO mod for these amps has gotten alot of exposure on the internet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Can't judge all Crate amps, but the ones I have played have all been pretty lousy. My cousin has one, although I think is very old, but it isn't good.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
i like the sound of it. and somone i know has one and hes in a band and he sounds great using it at concerts. and the v series is crates good amps. for shred stuff ill get a pedal.
Last edited by 7guitarist7 at Aug 27, 2010,
Most people just dismiss these cause they are made by crate. They have a great clean sound but be prepared to get your dirt from pedals. if possible get a different cab if not then i would get new speakers as soon as i could but they are very reliable i had that head with a 2x12 i made with v30s and i loved it.
you sound just like me! i only play 60s to 90s rock and metal, with the exception of through the fire and the flames (dragonforce). i was planning on getting a ts7 and an mxr distortion for the gain channel. and i know someone (not the same person with the v33) who had a gx40 and he just sold it. he also has a blackheart bh5h and a vfx5212. i dont think hes ever owned an amp that wasnt a crate.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I have the Crate V33H and love it I use a TS7 Tube screamer for most all 70's and 80's Rock/metal/thrash/Glam and I also use a Metal Muff with top boost for more flavor. The amp has a really great Clean channel and a dark bassy gain channel but if you boost it with the TS it is bad ass. It will kill for shred with a good OD but be ready for a rely loud ass amp it is loud as hell with master on 1 and gain at 7 1/2 and boosted with a Tube Screamer. But I think it will work great for you I play nothing but Classic Rock and Metal from 70's to 80's and it does it great once you learn how to tweak everything. But I am a huge Crate fan boy that's all I ever used for over 20 years so I will take a Crate before any other brand. The one great thing about the V33 is it is cathode biased so you wont have to have it biased when you get new tubes it is plug and play. It cuts way down on maintenance costs.

Don't let people fool you Crates are a great High Quality brand all through the 90's they won more awards than any other brand. I had kept one of there SS amps the GX40C with DSP and stereo 2x8 speakers for 18 years before it kicked the bucket. Man I miss that amp it sounded so great.
what cab do you use? and which metal muff is it? the micro (3 knobs) or normal (6 knobs)? do think i would get a better sound with that or an mxr distortion plus?
Last edited by 7guitarist7 at Aug 29, 2010,
im thinking distortion plus, if i get the money later ill get a mm. they use the v212 with the stock speakers and sound great. one uses the v212 for his blackheart bh5h, which hes actually selling to my sister
Great amp, good price... But not for what you want. Its a cleanish amp, and voiced a bit more vintage than what you want. I still miss mine.

Quote by the1967mustang
Can't judge all Crate amps, but the ones I have played have all been pretty lousy. My cousin has one, although I think is very old, but it isn't good.

You did put a disclaimer, so I won't jump on you too much... But you're more than likely comparing this all tube, decent-for-the-price amp with their line of decent-for-giant-paperweights line of SS amps.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 30, 2010,
I remember the V33's selling for like $199.00 at a lot of stores.....you should be able to find one cheaper or a better amp for the same $$
Quote by mmjohn
I remember the V33's selling for like $199.00 at a lot of stores.....you should be able to find one cheaper or a better amp for the same $$

I sold mine to a pawn shop for $100... But I paid $200 for it with a 1x12 that I kept so I didn't really care. I'd still consider this a good deal, but I think you can find better.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Great amp, good price... But not for what you want. Its a cleanish amp, and voiced a bit more vintage than what you want. I still miss mine.

i want vintage. its not 'a bit more vintage' than what i want. and what most of you dont seem to realize is that the head and cab together are $350. these are rare amps to find used and i really want one.