I'm trying to notate the rhythm for this; unfortunately, it's rather complicated for me. Please give me some corrections on the notation (bottom), and tell me if you are able to get an idea of what this will sound like.

Guitar phrase by burnteggrolls, on Flickr

It's an easy phrase, but hard to write out.
Thanks.

4/4 time
Last edited by reeses at Aug 26, 2010,
whats so difficult? its just a simple rhythm. count it out, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4...
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Just use Tux guitar dude, it makes tabbing stuff out billions of times either. You can download it for free, just google it. (For the record I'm not advertising, how could I be, its free! Just a satisfied user.) (Well, mostly satisfied, it still has its short comings.) But trust me, it will save you hours of trouble tabbing stuff by hand.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by TK1
whats so difficult? its just a simple rhythm. count it out, 1 and 2 and 3 and 4...

this is the first time i've written any kind of tab, so i'm just a bit doubtful of myself.
I would notate it with ties. So the first measure would contain 8 eighth notes and the 4th is tied to the 5th, the 6th is tied to the 7th and the 8th is tied to the downbeat. Most syncopated rhythms are not usually notated with quarter notes on the off beats for the reader's ease. But the rhythm could be played the same either way.
Yeah, that's pretty easy to play (the rhythm, I don't have my guitar to hand).

Quote by reeses
this is the first time i've written any kind of tab, so i'm just a bit doubtful of myself.
We can't say whether the rhythm is correct unless we have a recording of it. Unless you're asking whether it's notated (ie. is the rhythm correct but strictly speaking it should be notated different) correctly?
Quote by SKAtastic7770
I would notate it with ties. So the first measure would contain 8 eighth notes and the 4th is tied to the 5th, the 6th is tied to the 7th and the 8th is tied to the downbeat. Most syncopated rhythms are not usually notated with quarter notes on the off beats for the reader's ease. But the rhythm could be played the same either way.

Yep, using ties would definitely be a bit easier to visualize. Other than that, you've got a very clear and easy to read tab there, TS.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It screws with my head because of the 3rd and 4th notes being across the beat.
Call me Batman.
^I used to just count 1 & 2 &... and think hard about where the beats started (eg. notes in the first bar start on 1, &, 2, &, (3)&, (4)& when I couldn't work these out.

However, after playing stupidly difficult off beat rhythms (or playing cross rhythms) in orchestra I'm pretty good at anything similar to this where the crotchets start off beat (I'm still pretty bad at anything more difficult though).
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Just use Tux guitar dude, it makes tabbing stuff out billions of times either. You can download it for free, just google it. (For the record I'm not advertising, how could I be, its free! Just a satisfied user.) (Well, mostly satisfied, it still has its short comings.) But trust me, it will save you hours of trouble tabbing stuff by hand.

I couldn't agree more. It's a great program. I've not been using it long but it makes writing tab quick and easy. There are options for including chord diagrams etc. Really good stuff. I would pay for it if it wasn't free!

Here's the link if you want to check it out (you should!)...http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/