So lately I have been seriously thinking about extended range guitars. Something in the realm of a 7 or 8 string. Nothing insanely over the top. The idea came to me when I happened across some Jean Baudin material, specifically Transcend, and, as I've been doing a lot of 8 finger tapping recently, I thought it would be really cool to try something in that sort of direction.

Now I realize a lot of the instruments in this sort of category are going to be aimed at extremely technical metal groups who go absurdly heavy, and that's not really what I'm interested in. When I'm using my guitar to texture the song, sure, some extremely heavy distorted chords would be good, but mostly I want to use the extra range with my two handed tapping technique.

So I want something that will respond well to that, something that's really clear and responsive but with real warmth and depth so you can hear the full scope of that extended range and something that can do some great cleans. I don't want Stratocaster tones, when I feel like that I'll pull out my strat, so this doesn't need to cover that area, but I want to do some stuff in the style of Jean Baudins solo work.

Other thing is I'd want to use this with my band, and we do songs, not just experimental instrumentals. So I need to use it for a sort of really heavy pop hard rock (Hard to explain. O.O It's proper rock, but with more balls and... Somehow still maintaning the appeal of some good pop) and some standard range shred stuff in the style of Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Satch, Vai and Marty Friedman.

Just looking at the moment, so price isn't particularly an issue at this point. It'll probably be a combination of a graduation present/my own contribution so when it comes to buying I'd probably want to stay around AU$2000, but I just want to know what's possible atm.

TL;DR Extended range, not just metal. Needs to do cleans and standard rock/pop and shred stuff too.

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I use a Floyd Rose quite a bit too.
  • Fender American Standard Stratocaster
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Last edited by kLinic at Aug 26, 2010,
Doesn't Jean Baudin use 11 string basses?
You could get something similar with an 8 string, but it still wont be the same. There arent that many in your budget either, but you might be able to find an Ibanez RG2228, or an LTD SC-608 if not the RG.

EDIT: I doubt you'll find an 8 with a Floyd. I think Agile might have an 8 with a Kahler though.
wow to get guitar that will cover all the stuff would be great id get one as well
i guess your more looking to baritone so check out the PRS Mike Mushok SE
what about 7 & 8 String guitars?
Yeah, Jean Baudin uses 11 string basses. I'm not interested in doing the same thing as him, I'm a guitar player, though I'm trying to get my bass player into some Jean Baudin style stuff. I want to experiment within the same style, not copy it.

Hmm, well, I'll remove my price range for the moment. It really is just a stab in the dark at the moment, it's more important to get an idea of the possibilities at the moment.

EDIT: It doesn't need to be an actual Floyd Rose, just a similar tremelo. It doesn't need to be an 8 string. A 7 string would probably get me into the teritory, especially if I tune down.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30
Last edited by kLinic at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by TheBigProjekt

That is uh, interesting, in every way but it's looks. >.> I would most likely unload that thing as quickly as possible even if it was free.
  • Ibanez RGD2127z
  • Yamaha Acoustic
  • Cort Bass

• Laney LC30