I just picked up skateboarding today. I really want to be more active and skateboarding has always interested me, so I decided to pick up a board and for a couple of hours rode around, learning to push properly and getting used to using my weight and balancing on the board.

So I was just wondering how long it took other UGers to learn to skateboard well, and start doing tricks and how well they skate now, etc?

I started kinda late (I'm 18) and was hoping to learn to skate well before winter comes.
There's a skateboarding thread. I skated when I was in 5th grade . A lot of my friends do, I can do like an ollie.
it took me like two years trying on and off to get a proper ollie down, and shortly after that i stopped =(
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I started skating when I was 10 and I'm 17 now :p I started getting decent like 4 years into it. I pretty much only ride vert though> i find street so boring and cliche.

If I do skate street I skate oldschool or just ride.

Oh and I just skated tonight, my park is sooo awesome.
I kind of want to learn how to skateboard, I mean I can ride one but I want to be a skateboarder if you get what I'm saying. But it probably won't happen, I never give myself time to learn.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
winter is already here, my friend!
i skated once, i could do a casper flip, and thats it. you really did start late though, you should be out drinking, not skating with the kiddies
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
i dont skate, i cant. I can only long board. but hey im a big person anyways plus long boards a cooler.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Hope you're looking forward to your broken wrists and ankles.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It took me a little while to learn how to ollie, maybe a month, then a couple months to a year to ollie with proper technique, then I learned to kickflip at a year and a half, and everything else just kinda followed. I've been skating on and off for about 3 and a half years now.

I'm a very okay skater now.

Quote by due 07
There's a skateboarding thread. I skated when I was in 5th grade . A lot of my friends do, I can do like an ollie.

The skateboarding thread was closed.
i used to, mostly stopped when i started playing guitar. i wasn't too bad. i could do kickflips and heelflips and other basic stuff. although i had really wanted to do vert, but there weren't really any local parks, and like about a year after i stopped one opened 15 minutes from my house
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Theres always one floatin round here you just gotta look for it

Been skatin since i was 10, I'm now 18
Round 14-16 i was at my prime throwin myself down 8-10 sets and then high school happened...

I got a girlfriend and a job and lost all the time in the week to skate so i was on a bit of a hiatus. BUUUT good news is i now skate 3-4 days a week i just don't throw myself down stairs anymore cause i've ****ed myself up way too many times. I did recently back heel down a 6 set though =D
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
I skate.. Best advice I can give you is master the basics before moving on, and by that i mean a high, perfect landing Ollie, kick flip, pop shov it etc. Since all the advanced tricks are based on those simple ones, you want to make sure you get them down perfectly. I started wanting to kick flip before I could land an ollie, which slowed me down real good, but then I started over and moved up slowly.

Also, this thread needs some Rodney Mullen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkbV1KUyNKI
Generally I would say that people who ride skateboards are D Bags who can't play guitar and smoke a lot of weed, but that may just be a Washington thing, I don't know.

Longboarding, however, is for cool cats who are badass rockers and can actually do something useful with their fingers other than hold a joint.
Skateboarding is my life man. I've been doing it for 5 and a half years now. If it weren't for skateboarding, who knows what I would be doing now. IMO, its the ultimate blend of athleticism, creativity, and self-expression.

You need to keep at it man. You can't learn over night, but riding down the sidewalk on an October afternoon with some friends is BY FAR the best feeling in the world.

Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I started skateboaring when I was 13.I was an ok skater.I had a few tricks that the other skaters couldn't do but I was always far from being awsome.I am 25 now and after almost two years of not skating at all my old skate buddy is getting me back into it.I have also tried out longboarding recently and this crazy thing called a Ripstick.look it up.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
i started skating seriously right as high school started. got devoured into the scene, and skated 4-5 hours a day. i was was doing some bigger sets, 8-10, at about a year and a half. but i totally burnt myself out doing it that much. i only skated for about three years. i actually went last week though, it's like riding a bike, you dont lose it. stoped skating as i got into guitar though.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I skate.. Best advice I can give you is master the basics before moving on, and by that i mean a high, perfect landing Ollie, kick flip, pop shov it etc. Since all the advanced tricks are based on those simple ones, you want to make sure you get them down perfectly. I started wanting to kick flip before I could land an ollie, which slowed me down real good, but then I started over and moved up slowly.

Also, this thread needs some Rodney Mullen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkbV1KUyNKI

Deawon Song ftw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJEK6iXJWU

Also, TS, word of advice, this really made life hard for me in 6th grade: Never over-talk your skating abilities. Probably fairly obvious, but, you know... The skater community is a lot closer then people people make it out to be, and they don't like posers. Kinda like guitar, you see a kid on youtube claiming to be better than everyone else, but totally sucks, and it starts a whole flame-fest on his comments space.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Deawon Song ftw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJEK6iXJWU

Also, TS, word of advice, this really made life hard for me in 6th grade: Never over-talk your skating abilities. Probably fairly obvious, but, you know... The skater community is a lot closer then people people make it out to be, and they don't like posers. Kinda like guitar, you see a kid on youtube claiming to be better than everyone else, but totally sucks, and it starts a whole flame-fest on his comments space.

I approve of this entire post.

We need MOAR Omar Salazar though. (The slalom run in there is BADASS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxGDa2HYekA&feature=related

EDIT: Oh yes, and MOAR Louie Barletta keeping it creative, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsIoIhDrPco
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by itchy guitar
I approve of this entire post.

We need MOAR Omar Salazar though. (The slalom run in there is BADASS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxGDa2HYekA&feature=related

EDIT: Oh yes, and MOAR Louie Barletta keeping it creative, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsIoIhDrPco

Holy shit that's awesome, I wanna do that. People told me I was too old to start skating so now I'm determined to get good at it. I know I'm shit and I've always been a humble person so I won't be starting any flaming haha. Thanks itchy.
I grew up with some pretty famous skaters. Cannot stand that sheckler shit, I was almost impressed by his skating, until he turned out to be such a twat in person. I didn't have the skills to make it in skateboarding, but I've got a bit of decent footage.
^When i first saw a Barletta part i laughed so hard because the shit he does is just stupid-awesome

Looks like this has turned into a thread bout ill skaters so...

I have one word: flow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpi3MDe0FJQ
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by vicarious46
^When i first saw a Barletta part i laughed so hard because the shit he does is just stupid-awesome

Looks like this has turned into a thread bout ill skaters so...

I have one word: flow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpi3MDe0FJQ

Black guys have the best heelflips.
Quote by MakinLattes
I skated when i was about 13-14, but i never really got any good at it, a few of my other friends also did it and i think i was a bit pissed off that they were progressing faster than me, plus i didn't like falling off because it hurt (one particular time when it really killed), i stopped pretty much when i picked up bass and guitar because i knew that the longer i skated, the higher the chance was of me breaking an arm or something.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I started when I was 14 but I'm not that great. I'm better at snowboarding so I'm more into that, but I still enjoy skating every once in a while.
cat
Watch some how-to videos on youtube. Have a friend teach you. It took me a year to learn how to kickflip so don't get discouraged.

Nice bump by the way. We need more skateboarders in The Pit.
Quote by MakinLattes
Its like comparing cross country cycling to BMX. They may both be bicycles, but they certainly aren't the same sport, and you can't really compare them. I love both long boarding and short boarding in different but equal ways. Where I'm at, we have a handful of pussy hills so I shortboard waaaaaay more often though.
Quote by MakinLattes