Back when I was in boarding school, we participated in a space settlement design competition. While we didn't win, envisioning and structuring the entire project was oodles of fun. I've always loved space/astronomy, and that experience made me love it/them even more.

During the project, we obviously wondered what it would be like living in a space colony. We discussed lots of stuff - working, R&D, further exploration, managing the colony itself, food, sustenance, recreation in zero gravity, sex, psychological and physical development, maintaining familial units - basically, we had tons of discussions and debates.

Call it nerdy, but it was one of the funnest things ever.

I would like to know what you folks think of living in space.

Would you enjoy the orderliness or would you miss the "chaos" of living on Earth?
i wouldn't miss this planet for a second. i've always wanted to live in space
Sail upon the open skies
That would be the best thing ever, I'd love to go to space. But I would hate to end up like the people on Wall e...
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Would we wear matching space suits?
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Quote by Deadlock Riff
Japan or space colony.

My 2 options.

hell to the yeah.

actually, right now, I would like to live somewhere where I didn't just eat a massive thing of mashed potatoes. the pain, my god the pain...
For a while, sure. Not forever.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by MakinLattes
hell to the yeah.

actually, right now, I would like to live somewhere where I didn't just eat a massive thing of mashed potatoes. the pain, my god the pain...

you know it.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Japan or space colony.

My 2 options.

How about in a space colony with Japanese chicks? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Quote by zchavez09
how would i be able to look at the blue sky in space? no thanks

no but you could see the stars 24/7. assuming you mean SPACE and not colonizing another PLANET. but a planet could have like a.... bright purple sky or some junk.
I'm picking my job based on the lack of predictability and order... so no. Read Brave New World (or watch Demolition Man), the whole point is that stability and order make you dead inside.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by KG6_Steven
How about in a space colony with Japanese chicks? That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Japanese chicks =/= Japan

im not after the chicks. its the lifestyle and the society.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Japan or space colony.

My 2 options.

Well, if you want to go that way, Canada or space colony for me, lawl.

i wouldn't miss this planet for a second. i've always wanted to live in space

Are you sure about that?

It would definitely be a novel experience [hell knows I want to experience living in a space colony], but wouldn't you miss even a little bit of Earth?

how would i be able to look at the blue sky in space? no thanks

You'd have an artificial reproduction of the Earth's sky in your colony. Your body clock would go bananas without a visual representation of the day/night cycle.

That would be the best thing ever, I'd love to go to space. But I would hate to end up like the people on Wall e...

It would be kinda like that, without a rogue computer. By "space colony", I mean a stationary torus, not a spaceship or something.

Hriday!Edit: Well, it wouldn't really be stationary. It would depend on Lagrangian points to stay in orbit. It'd be like a miniature ring-shaped planet.

Would we wear matching space suits?

Only if you're part of an exploration team.
Last edited by hriday_hazarika at Aug 26, 2010,
I'd love to. It's always been one of my greatest dreams to go into space.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by MAC2322
I'd love to. It's always been one of my greatest dreams to go into space.

Do you enjoy watching space documentaries?

My personal favourite is National Geographic's "Journey To The Edge Of The Universe", as narrated by Sean Pertwee .
I'd be down as long as there would be attractive woman there and I could bring my guitar. I'm guessing the colony would be able to keep in contact with earth so I could still talk to my family, friends, and keep up with movies, music, news, sports, ect.

Also, whats up with the purple font? Psychedelic
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Last edited by Luke200420 at Aug 26, 2010,

It's a Gundam!

Damn skippy I'd be down for it. As long as I could bring some people with me. The thing in the above picture being there would also be a huge plus.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by Luke200420
I'm guessing the colony would be able to keep in contact with earth so I could still talk to my family, friends, and keep up with movies, music, news, sports, ect.

Indeed.

Space colonies would require the epitome of technology, after all.

As for attractive women and guitars, of course.

Sex and recreation are crucial in establishing societies.
Also, whats up with the purple font? Psychedelic

I like purple. :3

It's a Gundam!

Damn skippy I'd be down for it. As long as I could bring some people with me.

I raise you a Cowboy Bebop scenario.

Of course you could.

Screw UG's missile silo, let's build a space colony! =D
Do you enjoy watching space documentaries?

My personal favourite is National Geographic's "Journey To The Edge Of The Universe", as narrated by Sean Pertwee .

I do indeed, although it's been quite a while since I watched one. If you've any recommendations, I'd be more than happy to listen.
Quote by MAC2322
I do indeed, although it's been quite a while since I watched one. If you've any recommendations, I'd be more than happy to listen.

Have you watched the one I mentioned?

There's another one that I like very much, with Stephen Hawking in it. I can't remember the documentary's name, though.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Have you watched the one I mentioned?

There's another one that I like very much, with Stephen Hawking in it. I can't remember the documentary's name, though.

I'm not sure if I have, but the name rings a bell. I'm almost sure I've watched the Stephen Hawking one, though.
Quote by Flying Couch

It's a Gundam!

Damn skippy I'd be down for it. As long as I could bring some people with me. The thing in the above picture being there would also be a huge plus.

Yes! Gundams!
Quote by MAC2322
I'm not sure if I have, but the name rings a bell. I'm almost sure I've watched the Stephen Hawking one, though.

Well, watch it, because it's fantastic! It evoked a really awesome feeling in me. I did feel kinda melancholic, though, knowing that I'd never experience space exploration in my lifetime.

The background music is good too.
I'd do it Instantly and forget everything but my computer and guitar on earth (and food lol). I'd love it
I love the earth and all that lives. The sweet smell of fresh air at high altitudes, sunsets, squirrels jumping from tree to tree, wild elk roaming about, and an endless list of things that our planet offers. Why would I ever choose to live in a metal box where the slightest of things that go wrong can lead to imminent death?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Well, watch it, because it's fantastic! It evoked a really awesome feeling in me. I did feel kinda melancholic, though, knowing that I'd never experience space exploration in my lifetime.

The background music is good too.

Alright. I'll see if I can get to that this week.
Quote by darkstar2466
I love the earth and all that lives. The sweet smell of fresh air at high altitudes, sunsets, squirrels jumping from tree to tree, wild elk roaming about, and an endless list of things that our planet offers. Why would I ever choose to live in a metal box where the slightest of things that go wrong can lead to imminent death?

Well, both of us will be dead before the world is past its livability, so I won't counter your statement. :]
Well seeing as it would be either living on a planet shoulder to shoulder with people i hate while all our resources are spent right from under us, or I go live on a space station and kill myself via airlock into the sweet black empty if I get tired of it. I think I'll do the latter
Last edited by btones at Aug 27, 2010,