I'm just curious as to what the difference may be in the sound with these two setups. Two vertical speakers sounds like a good idea to make tweaking the settings easier. I know you could tilt the 2x12 up towards you in order to hear yourself better, but that isn't really an option when you have to put a head on top of it.

This is more for curiousity sake since it would probably cost more to get the two separate cabs.
It would probably cost more to get two 1x12's as opposed to getting one 2x12, but one thing that you COULD do with two 1x12's is get a crossover and split the signal, maybe have the cabs stacked on top of one another, with mostly lows on the bottom cab and mostly highs on the upper cab...?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
It would probably cost more to get two 1x12's as opposed to getting one 2x12, but one thing that you COULD do with two 1x12's is get a crossover and split the signal, maybe have the cabs stacked on top of one another, with mostly lows on the bottom cab and mostly highs on the upper cab...?

I think we're onto something
ENGL, Emperor, Rivera, Carvin, ADA, Marshall and Mesa all make vertical 2x12s, and I'm sure there's others. Give those a look if you can.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard