Poll Options
View poll results: Would you do it?
Yes
28 37%
No
47 63%
Voters: 75.
Page 1 of 2
Ok, so Nergal of Behemoth fame apparently has Leukemia. Which I'm sure saddens all us metal fans, me included.

Anyway, my friend is getting himself tested to see if he can donate his bone marrow to Nergal to help him get better (there is a whole thing on facebook about this) Since apparently he needs it.

Now what gets to me is, why is he donating his bone marrow to this guy. Sure he loves Behemoth a lot (and I do mean A LOT) but is this really worth it. He's met him a couple of times at concerts but other than that, he's just a fan.

Does this really seem worth it to you guys? Giving your own bone marrow to a member of a band you love that despite that you hardly know. I don't know, to me it doesn't really sound good.

If it was me, I would only do it to someone i REALLY and I do mean REALLY love, like say, a wife or close family member or friend. Being a member of a band I love doesn't really cut it for me. I mean I don't really know him other than him being in the band. Though if my close friend was in a band I'd probably do it.

So what I'm asking pit is would you do it? Would you give your bone marrow (or something similar, say blood or a kidney) to a member of a band that you are just a fan of, even if you know them well or not is it really worth it?

I don't know, to me it isn't, but what do you guys think?
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
No, what happens if the next day a close friends needs it and I can't give it to him?

EDIT: I have no idea what I just said.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

waiting to see the amount of pain your friend will be in
there arent enough anesthetics to help you with removal of bone marrow without killin ya.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
You repeated yourself WAY too much TS.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
Quote by Mudmen190
Don't you have to be genetically similar to someone in order to do that?

yeah that's another reason I wouldn't do it.

edit:
to the guy above me, yes I know
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Last edited by RazorTheAwesome at Aug 27, 2010,
It depends. I don't like Behemoth at all, so I wouldn't do it for Nergal, but if a member of one of my favorite bands did, I might think about it.
My friend died of leukemia, which is why I'm planning on this:

There's a bone marrow registry in North America, I intend to become a part of it. I'm just not old enough yet.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by TheLifeguard
My friend died of leukemia, which is why I'm planning on this:

There's a bone marrow registry in North America, I intend to become a part of it. I'm just not old enough yet.

that's very noble of you. Good luck with that man
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
As long as they aren't a total twat I wouldn't have a problem with giving blood to someone I don't know personally but bone marrow or a kidney is a different story.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Thanks dude. It's just a blood test, and then they have your DNA and shit on file so if someone is close enough to you genetically, you can help them out.
Gear:
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
He's doing something amazing. So don't doubt him.

There's maybe 5-10 people I'd do that for, and only one of them is famous.
Quote by Zoot Allures
It's good, but lots of people need the same thing, it seems abit shit that one guy is getting all the attention cus he's in a famous band yet there are loads of people who need it too :/

At least Nergal's bringing attention to the cause..
Gear:
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
people donate for random strangers plus its not like a kidney thats gone for ever. Marrow replenishes in a few weeks.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Quote by Mudmen190
Don't you have to be genetically similar to someone in order to do that?

not necessarily.

being related to the person you're donating to certainly increases the chance of your bone marrow being the same or very similar but you don't HAVE to be related in order to donate.

i believe there are 6 receptor points or something like that need to match in both people in order for the bone marrow to be accepted by the body. even if only 5 or 4 of these receptors match, the bone marrow may still be donated/accepted but there's a much lower chance and you risk death.

even if a member of a band i happen to love very much, like Rush for instance, had a member who need a bone marrow transplant, i don't think i'd do it. i love my music and i feel strongly tied to it, but not enough to partake in a very painful test in the off chance my marrow will be good enough.

EDIT: to mudmen, my bad i thought you wrote "related to" for some stupid reason which is why i went into my little explanation...apparently i can't read properly. yes, you need to be genetically similar.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by longneckdude
people donate for random strangers plus its not like a kidney thats gone for ever. Marrow replenishes in a few weeks.

Indeed. It's not like you can only give marrow once.

Why not save a life?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Quote by MakinLattes
it grows back. it's his marrow, let him do what he wants.

He has Leukemia man, that's not really helping him right now.

He needs it to survive
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
I was talking about your friend.

unless your friend has leukemia, in which case he shouldn't be donating his marrow to anyone.
No but I'm listed as an organ donor on my drivers license so if I were to drop dead then some lucky people would get my organs. Its very unlikely they'd go to my favorite bands though.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Quote by MakinLattes
I was talking about your friend.

unless your friend has leukemia, in which case he shouldn't be donating his marrow to anyone.

ohh, yeah I'm not stopping him but still... just got me thinking is all

and he is totally fine
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
poor adam

they're posting all over facebook to look for someone to donate. he was basically in denial about it up until this point and no it's resisting chemo. his wife already tried to give but it didn't match and yeah she's smokin', all polish women are.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I might do it. Not for necessarily for Nergal himself, but some other guy I like a lot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
I doubt I'd do it for anyone I didn't know very well. For a good friend or family member I would, but otherwise I probably wouldn't.
Not for Nergal, but maybe for some of my favourite famous people.

Your friend should gof or it though, if Nergal seems like a cool enough guy - I wouldn't know, I haven't met him. The process apparently isn't apparently too painful anymore, but the recovery sound like it could suck a little even though it isn't too long.
I said no, but honestly now that I think about it I probably would. Not even just for Nergal - I'm suddenly very interested in that bone marrow donation registry someone mentioned on the first page. That said if Hendrix were still alive and he had leukemia, I'd do it pretty much instantly.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Donate blood - Yes.
Donate marrow - no fucking way.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Since bone marrow grows back, I would. Saving a life feels good.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Karel Juwet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

I wouldn't even give away my bone marrow to my friends, because I think your DNA has to be similar, doesn't it?
(If it helped, I would do it for my best friend, but not for an artist I'm fond of)

You have to have the same tissue type, relatives are most likely, but most people don't have relatives with the correct type. They don't ask you to donate unless there's a match.

You seriously wouldn't give it to your friends (or anyone) despite the fact that it could save their life, just because it's a bit painful?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
I don't think we should look upon this as 'helping Nergal', we should look upon this at 'helping another human being'
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Doesn't bone marrow grow back? If it does, I'd donate it anyone who needed it.
cat
Having bone marrow extracted is one of the most painful procedures a human being can endure no, I wouldn't, at least not right away. Does he have a Mr. and Mrs. Nergal? Or Behemoth brothers? I just think there are closer people to him than me that should probably step up before I have to.

Then, maybe I'd think about it. But I don't even listen to Behemoth. If we're talking about helping another human being, millions of people have leukemia. I'm sure Nergal won't be short of people to help him. I'd rather help someone who was on their own.
Last edited by greenelephants at Aug 27, 2010,
I had to get bone marrow extracted when I was like 3 and I remember how much it hurt and I would never get it done again if I had a choice
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by loonyguitarist
You have to have the same tissue type, relatives are most likely, but most people don't have relatives with the correct type. They don't ask you to donate unless there's a match.

You seriously wouldn't give it to your friends (or anyone) despite the fact that it could save their life, just because it's a bit painful?

I'm saying, that I don't really know if it would help.
If there is no match, there is no point in doing it, so I wouldn't do it then.
If there was (even the slightest) chance it helped, I would most certainly do it, because after all, saving a life is not bad :p
and bone marrow grows back.
Page 1 of 2