Page 1 of 4
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
So maybe it doesn't need it's own thread, and I know it's been discussed in the off topic thread before, and it's possible that this thread will die quickly, or Pink will say "enough of this bullshit," but here it is.

Most of the music I listen to nowadays has either come directly from, or has been an expansion on what I heard in videogames growing up. THUG, and the whole THPS series, was probably the most influential (although there are many notable others). Here's a VERY short list of bands I listen to on the daily that I first head through videogames (in no particular order):

AFI
Millencolin
Naughty By Nature
Goldfinger
Boysetsfire
Bracket
Placebo
Fu Manchu
The Bled
Pig Destroyer
Motorhead
Bodyjar (pretty much the one song)
Strike Anywhere
Bad Religion
Paint it Black
Violent Femmes
The Explosion
Chemical Brothers

etc, etc

I was just wondering what sort of impact videogames have had on other people's perception of music and listening habits.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Aug 27, 2010,
-tempest-
hi, my name is matt.
751 IQ
you have a solid point, tonny hawk games showed me thrice and RATM and all of the one you listed as well.
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,542 IQ
metal gear solid got me into the whole orchestral military epic thing, and bioshock got me into old school jazz and stuff
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Fun fact: only 3 of the bands I listed weren't featured in the THPS series. 4 Internets to the person who knows the answer.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Magero
Nothing to say, Bats?
4,528 IQ
I'm gonna say PD right off the bat .

But, I agree with you perfectly. I remember playing THPS2 when I was like...10? And yeah, hearing Rage Against The Machine for the first, hearing all that pseudo-punk/ska stuff, and then all the classic stuff they threw in like Metallica and Motorhead. Huge influence on me.

Aggressive Inline was another one that had a big effect on me. PS2 game, basically Tony Hawks but on roller blades. Awesome game, but the soundtrack was even better. Made up of similar stuff as the Tony Hawks series.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by Magero
I'm gonna say PD right off the bat .

Wrong. Tony Hawk's American Wasteland.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Yeah man, Gravedancer was on that one.

Actually, that one was full of heavy stuff; Venom, Lair of the Minotaur... ummm, that's all I can remember off the top of my head.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
I loooove this game!

I don't remember hearing the metal stuff though, the punk/pop stuff always stuck the best.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Game also had Taking Back Sunday's cover of "Suburban Home," which inspired me to check out the Descendents; now one of my favourite bands of all time.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
llanafreak44
boom tah boom-boom tah
3,358 IQ
I remember when I first heard The Boy Who Destroyed The World on THPS 3. I thought "Who is this awesome band?" I figured out it was AFI and went ape shit, this was already by the time they were horrible. You by Bad Religion was also put me in awe as a kid, it was just so awesome.
zezimathehero
pretentious wankstick
168 IQ
I remember hearing a NOFX song in a tony hawk game, and it changed my life. Fact. Tony Hawk games got me into punk/heavy music/videogames.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
brad5992
1,109 IQ
Quote by zezimathehero
Fact. Tony Hawk games got me into punk/heavy music/videogames.

Yep pretty much the same here.
12shinn21
UG's Jack Black
421 IQ
THPS 2, THUG and Wasteland were my favourites from the series. I've played and replayed THUG so many times it's not funny. And although I always thought the soundtracks were great I never went to a huge effort to check out the bands that were on there.

All I really remember actually downloading were Rise Aginst - Like the Angel and Blue Collar Special - Don't wait.
tancanada
crapcore
2,467 IQ
Not close to THUG at all, but I remember the Burnout games always having good soundtracks

EDIT: Oh, but I did have this game called Grind Sessions and it had Black Flag, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and Anti-Flag on it. Good timessss
love is love // return to dust
Last edited by tancanada at Aug 27, 2010,
PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Bookstore Core
1,107 IQ
Dave Mirra BMX got me into some rad bands.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Matt Hoffman's BMX 2 got me into Spoon and, more importantly, Gang of Four.

I don't think I ever played Dave Mirra.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Bookstore Core
1,107 IQ
You are missing out dudeman!

What I Got - Sublime
Dust - Cypress Hill
Maxwell Murder - Rancid
Don't Drag Me Down - Social Distortion
Be Quiet and Drive (far away) - Deftones
Loose - Primer
Greed - Pennywise
Never Alone - Dropkick Murphys
Got It All in Sight - 59 Times the Pain
Stupid Lullabies - Swingin' Utters
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
asator
whatever
525 IQ
God yes.

Millencolen, Bad Religion, Lagwagon, Goldfinger, Dub Pistols and Bodyjar all ruled on THPS games. I kinda liked the covers on American Wasteland too. Fall Out Boy managed not to slaughter Gorilla Biscuits and somebody (can't remember who) did a reasonable cover of "Fix Me" by Black Flag. "Like The Angel" by Rise Against was on THUG 1 or 2 as well.

Loved those games and their soundtracks.
Quote by zezimathehero
I remember hearing a NOFX song in a tony hawk game, and it changed my life. Fact. Tony Hawk games got me into punk/heavy music/videogames.

I am sad enough to remember that it was "The Seperation Of Church And Skate" in THUG 1.

EDIT: Wow, I should read threads in more detail, pretty much everything I said has already been mentioned.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Last edited by asator at Aug 27, 2010,
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
And Rise Against did the "Fix Me" cover.

THUG 2 had some awesome songs from bands that make me nostalgic for the game, but I never listen to the bands, like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhkNBLOHI2I
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
asator
whatever
525 IQ
Oh, the memories ಥ_ಥ

EDIT: Weren't The Distillers in THUG2 as well? That's another one. haha
thesceneislame
UG's man's man
1,255 IQ
Quote by nashawa
Fun fact: only 3 of the bands I listed weren't featured in the THPS series. 4 Internets to the person who knows the answer.

i know goldfinger and bad religion fersure. im thinking motorhead was the other?
"If the good die young, we'll fucking live forever"

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital Warts > What Separates Me From You

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital warts, what separates me from you
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
All 3 of those bands were in the THPS series.
Games 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

EDIT: I said "weren't," not "were." Guessing you misread that.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
InstantAXonHero
713 IQ
Quote by nashawa
Bodyjar (pretty much the one song)

'You're not the same', along with 'Check', 'Amoeba', 'Wish', 'Pulse' and 'The Boy Who Destroyed the World' were my tracks while pulling one footed Japans in the airport.

Quote by 12shinn21
Blue Collar Special - Don't wait.

I only have 3 of their songs and I can never find anything else by them
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Pulse was good too. I recently listened to it though, and I never realized it was just the one verse over and over again.

And I have that Zebrahead song on my computron, but I think the band sucks.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Floyd93
Goin' Postal
1,176 IQ
I thank THUG every day for introducing me to Bracket, Rise Against, and NOFX.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Bracket is probably the most underrated pop-punk/alt band.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Floyd93
Goin' Postal
1,176 IQ
Well nash that's probably because you, me, and Tony Hawk are the only people who know of Bracket's existence.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
asator
whatever
525 IQ
Quote by Floyd93
Well nash that's probably because you, me, and Tony Hawk are the only people who know of Bracket's existence.

*ahem*
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
boffen
UG Board King
335 IQ
Pretty much every punk/old school rap song was on repeat when I was playing TH.

Kind of feel like hooking up the PS2 and playing some THUG.
Dregen
-
2,365 IQ
Burnout Revenge is pretty much the only reason I like the music I do today. I remember listening to Comeback Kid's Wake The Dead while I was racing and I was like "wow, this shit is amazing". So I downloaded their album and then I started searching for more hardcore and metalcore stuff.
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Does anyone remember how good the Muskabeatz were?!?! I don't cause I always turned them off.
I'm an asshole.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
asator
whatever
525 IQ
I was quite happy having forgotten that guy / his music existed. Thanks for reminding me. Dick.
scaryfried
YOUR GOD IS FICTION
405 IQ
powerman 5000

tony hawks underground 2 had a decent soundtrack too. something with skating and cool music...
JxD
957 IQ
The Tony Hawk series had such good jams. I was really stoked that 13 year-old me basically only listened to the punk-rock songs and not the other assorted garbage before I had ever even figured out what "punk" was. It was weird hearing the Adolescents for what I thought was the first time when I was sixteen only to find myself singing along to Amoeba.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
That sort of happened to me too once. A band I played a show with in grade 10 did a cover of "Heavy Metal Winner" by Consumed, and I actually got angry while they played it because I was having massive deja vu, unaware that it was on THPS 2.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
InstantAXonHero
713 IQ
Quote by Floyd93

I need a hearing aid, so I can turn it off when you talk down to me.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ