I got my first electric guitar two weeks ago, an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2. The intonation, pickups, and neck needed to be set up, I ordered it online and it looked like it needed work done.

Yesterday I took it in the be set up. The set up costed 40 dollars.

I got it back today, and he didn't fix a lot of the problems I pointed on. For one the truss rod wasn't even touched. There is still a bow in the neck. The bridge also wasn't touched. So the action was still messed up and I was getting bad frett buzz.

Also, the intonation was HORRIBLE. He told me he reversed some saddles. It sounded fine until my strings started breaking in. Now the intonation is completely off.

The only thing he fixed correctly were the pickups, they are now balanced.

I am frustrated. I am only 16 with no job, I spent ALL of my money trying to get this guitar set up, now it plays worse than before the set up. Do you think I can take it back in the store and they'd re-set it up for free? I'm afraid to take it back in. I'm mad that I spent 40 dollars and the problems weren't solved. I feel like just quitting guitar because of all the frustration with this guitar.
You better take your guitar back and demand that they fix the problem or get your money back. Try going with your father, or fatherly figure, since you are young. And I'm guessing you got it setup at a music store. I know many asshole music shop owners that WILL take advantage of beginners or don't know jack piss about guitar except to change strings.

And next time, take your guitar to a guitar luthier.
call them. see what kind of reception they give you.

they might not be able to set up your guitar with low action.
you should try and find out if there were issues wt the guitar, when they tried adjusting.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Study how to setup a guitar and do it yourself. That way you can set it up the way you would like it to be set up. I never got the point in someone else setting up your guitar the way they like it or the way they think you will like it
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
I would just set it up myself. I never let other people adjust my things for me because it's never how I want it. Yeah you blew $40 but hey, sometimes you get jipped. You will be even more satisfied once you do it yourself with the way it plays and the knowledge that you can do it yourself for free.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
No offece but those Epi LP special 2's are pretty poor as far as the quality control goes I think. You should be able to get it a lot better than it sounds to be at the moment, but it'll never win the melbourne cup.
You have the internet so there are a lot of resources about guitar setup available to you, but take it in to them first so they can't send you away saying you messed with it.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by myearshurt
Same thing happened to me once, the guy only changed the strings and took out the trem block, then he said 'oh, I'll only charge you $50 instead of $60' >.>

´
Charge me with "only $50" for that job... and I'll charge you with a steam roller. Ass.

Seriously, I'm not guitar savvy. I suck at these things. But this music store owner let me in the workshop where I fiddled with my guitar for an hour or two. I learnt how to change strings PROPERLY, adjust the bridge and intonate my guitar there.
just go there and talk to the tech (talk, don't be an asshole. That won't get you very far at all). Explain that you just had a set up and that it still feels awkward and still has the same issues from before the setup. Then ask if they could look at it again.

Chances are they will do whatever they can to help you out.

The biggest thing for you to do is to be calm, cool and just talk to the tech. If you go in filled with piss and vinegar and act like a complete asshole, you won't get anywhere. (this is also a good life lesson on how to deal with people)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Another in the camp for learn to do it yourself. A guitar setup is a PERSONAL thing first and foremost. Secondly, all the basics of setting up a guitar are so freaking simple that my 7 year old could perform them. The only thing I wouldn't recommend for a complete newbie is if the nut slots need lowering; but, as far as neck relief/action/intonation goes, those are things EVERY guitarist should set themselves.
Is it a possibility that this guitar is just garbage? It was 150 dollars. I've been playing acoustic guitar for a while and wanted to try out electric.

My dad had a Fender Stratocaster that I played for a few weeks to see if I wanted to try out electric guitar, and it played wonderfully. Do you think this cheap guitar just sucks?
Price isn't always indicative of guitar quality. Brands like SX/Agile/etc. are cheap but manufacturing quality is excellent. It comes down to manufacturing.

A lot of people sell used guitars cheap because they don't play right and the owner doesn't know how to set it up to play properly. They buy a Chinese or Indonesian knockoff from a music store where it's been sitting on a rack for a year (or worse, order online), don't set it up, and complain when it doesn't sound or feel right. I've bought many nice guitars on the cheap because of this.

An allen wrench, a screwdriver, a tape measure, a tuner, and an hour of your time is all that's needed to make an otherwise cheap guitar into something that's surprisingly playable. Learn how to do it, it's very satisfying when you get it right.
Quote by webwarmiller
Another in the camp for learn to do it yourself. A guitar setup is a PERSONAL thing first and foremost. Secondly, all the basics of setting up a guitar are so freaking simple that my 7 year old could perform them. The only thing I wouldn't recommend for a complete newbie is if the nut slots need lowering; but, as far as neck relief/action/intonation goes, those are things EVERY guitarist should set themselves.

Agreed 100%.

You can't call yourself a guitarist if you can't do simple things like adjust the truss rod, intonation, and action.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
He charged you $40 to change the height of the pickups and reverse the saddles?

Go back to the shop, demand your money back, go home google guitar set ups.

Itll save you alot of money in the long run if you know how to do it yourself. You just need a screw driver and an allen key.
I've actually never ever touched my guitars' truss rods. I don't know what they look like, and I can only guess how to see one (unscrew and remove the truss rod cover possibly?). I still wouldn't know how to adjust one. I could probably quite easily look it up. I also have to look up why you'd need to adjust it. I thought that was only necessary if your neck became warped.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Agreed 100%.

You can't call yourself a guitarist if you can't do simple things like adjust the truss rod, intonation, and action.

Of course, but for those who are self taught, adjusting stuff like the truss rod and that is like jumping into the deep end of a swimming pool.. I've played for two years-ish and i only know how to adjust my bridge height, i dont wanna mess up any of my guitars =/
i can pretty much guess with certainty that your guitar never even got anywhere near a qualified tech and was probably touched by a bored sales assistant who got told to go help the tech whilst the front of house was quiet.....ask them exactly what adjustments were made, any tech whose worth their salt would keep a record for future reference. but i 100% agree with those on here who say learn to do it yourself.
Quote by UnseenBucket
Of course, but for those who are self taught, adjusting stuff like the truss rod and that is like jumping into the deep end of a swimming pool..

I'm self-taught, too...
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
the truss rod is nothing to be scared of end of the day all the neck is, is a piece of wood(technically more than 1 piece if you want to be pedantic)....and i treat all my guitars with that philosophy.....if i f***k it up it`s my fault....there`s 2 rules to follow when setting up a guitar never adjust anything a 1/4 of a turn at a time and if it resists then stop `cos it won`t adjust anymore
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I'm self-taught, too...

Didnt say it was impossible to learn all the techniques though.. :p
No offense TS, but those guitars are shit. I had one, and I sold it to some girl for $100 so I could buy another guitar. I adjusted everything myself, and I still couldn't get it right.
You should have went to Rondo instead. Those are your best bet at that price range.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
sheesh....can't believe how many people on this forum are scared of touching the truss rod. It boggles my mind. It's something that is 100% USER ADJUSTABLE.....guitars aren't shipped with the proper tool for adjusting it without reason. I really think some techs deliberately try and scare people so that they keep coming back to spend money.
Quote by webwarmiller
sheesh....can't believe how many people on this forum are scared of touching the truss rod. It boggles my mind. It's something that is 100% USER ADJUSTABLE.....guitars aren't shipped with the proper tool for adjusting it without reason. I really think some techs deliberately try and scare people so that they keep coming back to spend money.

Ya agree with some of that. My local guitar shop always told me that a Floyd Rose is a paint to Re-string and set-up, and would be better off bringing it in al letting them do it for $50 or $60 dollars. And I believed them. Now, I do it myself, for the cost of new strings.

And, changing strings and setting up a Non Floyd Rose is a lot easier, at least to me. Try looking up a video on youtube on how to do this. But if you did take your guitar to a Guitar shop and payed $40 for them to do it right, take it back and they should help you out.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by webwarmiller
sheesh....can't believe how many people on this forum are scared of touching the truss rod. It boggles my mind. It's something that is 100% USER ADJUSTABLE

Agreed 100%.

I can't tell you how many times I've read that you should "NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TOUCH THE TRUSS ROD" by people on here and elsewhere.''

It's astounding.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
No offense TS, but those guitars are shit. I had one, and I sold it to some girl for $100 so I could buy another guitar. I adjusted everything myself, and I still couldn't get it right.
You should have went to Rondo instead. Those are your best bet at that price range.

I disagree. Just saying. Maybe I had the only good one, I dunno, but people crap on the Special II's for no good reason I can see. It's not a $1,000 guitar, but it's not crap either.

Anyway, to the TS, I am also in the camp of DIY. Pretty much all the things on your guitar with screws or bolts are meant to be user adjustable.

That said, you did already pay money and apparently didn't get anything of value for it, so it's worth trying to get them to help you out. ...But don't let them take any more of your money.

Lastly, a question (because you sound kind of new to the guitar world): When you say the intonation went bad after the strings broke in, you DID tune them back up after they stretched right? You didn't expect that it just gets tuned once and that's it forever, right?
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Quote by Ratraisin
When you say the intonation went bad after the strings broke in, you DID tune them back up after they stretched right? You didn't expect that it just gets tuned once and that's it forever, right?

Wait, this thing needs STRINGS?
Here's what the shop did wrong:

1. They may have adjusted the truss rod but probably not while under string tension (String tension effects neck relief)

2. They didn't break in the new strings before adjusting the intonation

3. (Not sure of this one) The person who set it up may have held his/her hand on the headstock while checking the tuning, throwing the tuner off

Quote by tepperboner
Wait, this thing needs STRINGS?

No, He asked if the OP tuned the guitar after the strings broke in.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by Ratraisin
I disagree. Just saying. Maybe I had the only good one, I dunno, but people crap on the Special II's for no good reason I can see. It's not a $1,000 guitar, but it's not crap either.

Anyway, to the TS, I am also in the camp of DIY. Pretty much all the things on your guitar with screws or bolts are meant to be user adjustable.

That said, you did already pay money and apparently didn't get anything of value for it, so it's worth trying to get them to help you out. ...But don't let them take any more of your money.

Lastly, a question (because you sound kind of new to the guitar world): When you say the intonation went bad after the strings broke in, you DID tune them back up after they stretched right? You didn't expect that it just gets tuned once and that's it forever, right?

I'm not saying it's shit for no reason. Then neck was terrible, the frets hung off the fretboard in a few spots. The guitar sounded terrible unplugged, and plugged in. I have reasons for hating the guitar.
I wouldn't form an opinion on it based off of price either. I have a guitar from Rondo that I got for $130, and I love it.
Who knows. Maybe you are the only one on here who likes the feel of the guitar?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
That sucks, you need to go back to demand they fix it or give you back your money. Things like that really are best to learn yourself so you can just do it when needed, it saves money and time. But that shop must be pretty horrible, I have my own repair shop now and I often have to do setups for people though I only charge $10 and I do much more detail work as well as breaking in the strings so they stay in tune and any time something does not get setup right I all ways redo it for free. Its a sad world when you pay someone to do quality work and you get crap, its becoming more and more common now and days.

Also the special ll's are not actually THAT bad. They are not great and more often than not a $100 rondomusic guitar beats them but I have come across a few Sll's that actually had a good neck and decent fretwork on them. If you get one of the good ones they can be pretty decent platforms for modding.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Aug 28, 2010,
thats why i try a guitar multiple times at a music store then buy it xD

like my dean acoustic bass, i tried every different bass to check for problems and the dean fit what i needed
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
Quote by Darkdevil725

Also the special ll's are not actually THAT bad. They are not great and more often than not a $100 rondomusic guitar beats them but I have come across a few Sll's that actually had a good neck and decent fretwork on them. If you get one of the good ones they can be pretty decent platforms for modding.

Maybe you just get good ones in your area. I've tried about 10, and I thought all of them were terrible. As far as a modding guitar I would rather get one of the $200 SG copies from Ibby with the bolt on neck. Those are nice looking, and everyone I played sounded great unplugged. I'm actually thinking of getting one as my next electric as a mod guitar.
Quote by L2112Lif
Just learn to do it yourself, thats what I did. And now ever damn person I know asks me to set up there floyds.....
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100