The wrong place to be trolling. (Do something good with five minutes)

Page 1 of 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQThr40_YkI

This is a video for a site named Postpals. That was set up by a young girl with ME, for other children with disabilities and diseases, who would love a message from some of you.

www.postpals.co.uk

Like he says, it takes 5 minutes, and you'll make the world a lighter place. If you're at a loss for what to write (like I was), read the quote below.

If you're planning on trolling innocent disabled children, all messages are screened.

Quote by element4433
I stickied this thread because here in the Pit we have a lot of people that post regularly. So I figure that means a lot of kids can be helped by us. It really does take a couple minutes out of your day, but that few minutes could mean the world to a child in need. So please take a few minutes and do this.

And it makes me sad that I have to say this, but if you try to troll this site you'll receive a straight ban. So be nice.

Quote by Postpals
Quite a few people ask “What do I say?" when writing to our Pals. Some people are even put off writing because they aren’t sure. Although we have some info on our FAQ page, I thought I would write a post about it. Starting off with what we advise against saying:

“Get Well Soon”, a well meaning great phrase, providing it is a healthy person who has appendicitis or something similar, who will have a time of being ill then get better soon. It’s not such a good phrase if your illness is never going to go away, you're young and don’t realise you're ill or any different to any other kid, or worse still - that will never get better.

“I hope you win your battle”, a lot of the children don’t know they could ‘lose their battle’, and others might not want to be reminded that they may not.

“I know how you feel”, have you been through the same thing as the child or parent? Even then everyone reacts and feels differently about things.

“You're so brave”, bravery is one of those things that is relative, what is bravery? Is bravery getting on with living when you have an illness or is it when you take a brave decision? Some kids like hearing they have been brave, others don’t.

“Sorry you're ill/poorly/sick”, see get well soon above.

“Poor you”- empathy is good, but sympathy isn’t generally wanted. Also see above about kids often not knowing any difference.

“I don’t know how you do it”, simple answer - kids and their parents don’t get a choice in the matter.

“Write back”, we ask that you enclose your address and email address so if able Pals can reply to can you, but please don’t expect one.

Now going onto what we suggest you could say. This depends greatly on the age; Now for things TO say Talk about yourself, are you a teenager, do you have kids, do you live in England or America, do you work in a school with other children or something else?

Over all remember that just because a child has cancer, cystic fibrosis or is on the transplant list, they are still first and foremost a child. Also remember your post is going to make them SMILE, what is more precious than that?
    Last edited by UraniYum at Aug 29, 2010,
    Reverse psychology is a bitch

I write songs.
    YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
    Currently Requiring Crits:
    none
    Not a good idea
    Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
    You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
    Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
    I can fap to this. Keep going.
    Quote by Deadlock Riff
    umm ok, what am i do with this knowledge now?

You go to www.postpals.co.uk, and write a child a letter.

All letters are screened, so it's not a bad idea. I thought about it for a while, but any sick bastards who want to offend disabled children won't get through. I know there's a few good people here.
    The website is sad... look at all the list of children that have moved on, that's somebody's kid, who's dead.

I write songs.
    none
    Quote by UraniYum
    You go to www.postpals.co.uk, and write a child a letter.

All letters are screened, so it's not a bad idea. I thought about it for a while, but any sick bastards who want to offend disabled children won't get through. I know there's a few good people here.

i kinda owuld need an outline for a letter XD

my sig tells the truth. i couldnt even say a nice thing to my great aunt in recovery after 2 strokes in a row. :/
    People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
    7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
    Quote by WyvernOmega
    The website is sad... look at all the list of children that have moved on, that's somebody's kid, who's dead.

And that kid will have had friends, family, teachers, a lot of people who will miss them.
    It's a good cause man.

^That's understandable mate, the first one I wrote, I didn't have a clue how to connect with these kids. But they like it when they have someone to talk about the stuff they like. Don't focus on their illness, they always say, 'I like WWF/Hannah Montana/etc'. Just feel like you're talking to an ordinary kid, they like it .

^^That's cool man, but you've been proved wrong already.
    Last edited by UraniYum at Aug 27, 2010,
    Quote by UraniYum
    And that kid will have had friends, family, teachers, a lot of people who will miss them.
    It's a good cause man.

Wow, I guess you're right, robot...

I'll try to write a nice letter

I write songs.
    none
    I don't know what to say. I'm not good with that kind of stuff. I'm too desensitized.
    Quote by Tyler Durden
    It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
    I'm trying to write one but it's hard to write to an 8 year old.

I think I'll just talk about how awesome Batman is.
    *-)
    Quote by Bob_Sacamano
    i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
    Quote by element4433

It is a barrier, but once you remember what it was like to be 8, you get the hang of it . I was talking to a kid about the days I used to wake up to Dangermouse and The Munsters, which coincidentally, they're showing again. That was the turning point for me. Once you stop thinking of them as 'sick' kids, it's much easier.

^It is. It really is.

^^Read about them man, you can't be that desensitized.

^^^Good man yourself, strange robot master.

I knew there were good people in the pit, that's why I don't go to 4chan.
    Last edited by UraniYum at Aug 27, 2010,
    Quote by element4433

Just pretend like you're posting in the pit.
    Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
    Quote by UraniYum
    It is a barrier, but once you remember what it was like to be 8, you get the hang of it . I was talking to a kid about the days I used to wake up to Dangermouse and The Munsters, which coincidentally, they're showing again. That was the turning point for me. Once you stop thinking of them as 'sick' kids, it's much easier.

^It is. It really is.

^^Read about them man, you can't be that desensitized.

^^^Good man yourself, strange robot master.

I knew there were good people in the pit, that's why I don't go to 4chan.
    Yeah I just talked about their interests and didn't mention that they were sick once. I figure they get enough sick stuff and want to talk about something they enjoy talking about.

Also I think I'm going to sticky this thread for a while because I think it's a good cause and we have a fairly large group of people that regular this forum. I'm going to edit some stuff into the first post though.
    *-)
    Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
    Quote by element4433
    Yeah I just talked about their interests and didn't mention that they were sick once. I figure they get enough sick stuff and want to talk about something they enjoy talking about.

Also I think I'm going to sticky this thread for a while because I think it's a good cause and we have a fairly large group of people that regular this forum. I'm going to edit some stuff into the first post though.

Thank you man. I am a terrible writer, but I felt this was a worthy cause. Edit away.
    thats really nice man. the site is pretty sad though... ill try to write something nice.
    Quote by UraniYum
    Thank you man. I am a terrible writer, but I felt this was a worthy cause. Edit away.
    Oh nothing like that. I just wanted to through something of my own in there and give it a clearer title.

*-)
    Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I'll try to write something in a bit, but the only problem now is 1) I don't really know how to write to a 8-9 yr old child, and 2) I don't have any idea of how I would be able to relate with a child going through something like a disability.
    I will try to write something though.

Thanks for posting this TS, and thanks to you too Element for sticking this.

IRISH_EDIT: Wow this is really sad. I can't think of anything to say to these kids that would actually make them feel better. Sorry that I can't help.

EDIT2: I just sent one to a little guy named Ben. From what it says he's only 5ish so I'm hoping a parent reads it to him so it can brighten his day a little.
    Quote by L2112Lif
    I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
    Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Aug 27, 2010,
    Really puts things in perspective...

I'll try to write something soon, thanks to TS and whoever stickied this.
    Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
    Extremely attractive woman.
    extremely attractive
    oh baby
    EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
    ...an extremely attractive guy.
    extremely attractive
    oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
    I just sent a kid with bone cancer an email. He likes dogs. I sent him some pics of my Irish setters. He's 13. My niece died 2 summers ago at 13 from bone cancer.

I suspect I'm going to be sending a lot of emails.
    Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
    This is really cool. I'll definitely have to get on this soon, if it wasn't 1 AM here I would right now. Good thing a mod stickied it; hopefully this will get the attention it deserves.
    Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
    I'll try to write something in a bit, but the only problem now is 1) I don't really know how to write to a 8-9 yr old child, and 2) I don't have any idea of how I would be able to relate with a child going through something like a disability.
    I will try to write something though.

Thanks for posting this TS, and thanks to you too Element for sticking this.

IRISH_EDIT: Wow this is really sad. I can't think of anything to say to these kids that would actually make them feel better. Sorry that I can't help.
    Just do what UraniYum said and talk to them like they're a normal kid. Look at their interests and talk to them about what they like. For example one of the kids I emailed liked Batman and Star Wars, so I asked him what his favorite Star Wars movie was and who his favorite Batman villain was. Keep it simple and try not to treat him like he's dying.
    *-)
    Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Jackal58
    I just sent a kid with bone cancer an email. He likes dogs. I sent him some pics of my Irish setters. He's 13. My niece died 2 summers ago at 13 from bone cancer.

I suspect I'm going to be sending a lot of emails.

When I was like 6 years old my neighbor had an Irish Setter and that fucker would run into me all the time.
    Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
    I really want to, but g-mail wants me to use a mobile phone (which I don't have) to sign up.
    Quote by element4433
    Just do what UraniYum said and talk to them like they're a normal kid. Look at their interests and talk to them about what they like. For example one of the kids I emailed liked Batman and Star Wars, so I asked him what his favorite Star Wars movie was and who his favorite Batman villain was. Keep it simple and try not to treat him like he's dying.

Well I just Emailed a kid, and I saw that he likes Disney. My little brothers watch it all the time so I figured I could try to relate with him about that. I think I'm gonna write to a few more kids on there.
    Quote by L2112Lif
    I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
    Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
    Well I just Emailed a kid, and I saw that he likes Disney. My little brothers watch it all the time so I figured I could try to relate with him about that. I think I'm gonna write to a few more kids on there.

Good man yourself. They really will appreciate it, the first reply I got nearly brought me to tears.

^^^I don't know why it required any software, but you can always send them a letter. They'd appreciate it man, and it is only 5 minutes .
    Wrote one to a 16 year old there, i tried to make it as not pretentious as i could, this girl had gone to the same hospital i do for my disabilities so i could relate there. They still were fully functioning mentally aswell so that made it easier to write to them.

hopefully 'the laughing heart' by bukowski will get them through tough times like it did me
    Quote by UraniYum
    Good man yourself. They really will appreciate it, the first reply I got nearly brought me to tears.

I just got done sending Email #4. I couldn't just pick one kid to write to.
    I'm sure when I get my first response it'll make me cry. I almost started crying in the middle of the first Email.
    Quote by L2112Lif
    this website is so sad, oh man, breaks your heart.
    I'll try and write something good, but I'm awful with words so i may be a little while.
    Quote by edge11
    yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
    Quote by Zoot Allures
    Wrote one to a 16 year old there, i tried to make it as not pretentious as i could, this girl had gone to the same hospital i do for my disabilities so i could relate there. They still were fully functioning mentally aswell so that made it easier to write to them.

hopefully 'the laughing heart' by bukowski will get them through tough times like it did me
    Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
    I just got done sending Email #4. I couldn't just pick one kid to write to.
    I'm sure when I get my first response it'll make me cry. I almost started crying in the middle of the first Email.
    It'll be a good cry though.
    *-)
    Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
    It'll be a good cry though.

I'm sure it will be. Thanks again for sticking this.
    Quote by L2112Lif
    I'm bawwing... like bad...
    I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
    I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
    Well, life is like a penis.
    Women make it hard.
    Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
    Page 1 of 3