Hey there.

We are 6 musicians in our band and for now, our drummer is the only one who has a clic audio track playing in his headphones while we jam. We do have some keyboards and samples sequences that are triggerred automatically (the sounds come from cubase from his laptop).

We'd like to have the same track in our individuals earphones (we do have some noise cancelling earbuds) but we try to find a very low budget way to route the source sound from the laptop to our 6 individuals earphones.

I'm thinking about a kind of mixing console where the audio from the pc will go in and then 6 outputs to our earphones.

Unfortunately, I do have absolutely no knowledge about this.

I might not have expressed myself very clearly, but the goal is to have all our members (6) to hear the tempo track and sequences playback coming from the laptop.

Also, my earphones are a small earbud (only one ear) with noise cancellation but they are very used and I think about replacing them. Do you have any suggestion?

Please, let as many suggestions as possibles with average price and comparison.

Many thanks for your help and sorry for my sometimes lame english skills.

Max
so basically you want a 1-in 6-out mixer?

mixers arent hard to make if you are electronic-savvy.

if you are wanting to buy one, then i'll move this to GG&A, as GB&C is the wrong forum.

but it can stay here if you plan to make one.
why not just use a headphone amp? it does exactly what you're looking for and they don't cost too much.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by nightale
I never head of this before. Can you direct me to a product as an example?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/SM-Pro-Audio-HP6E-6Channel-Headphone-Amp?sku=620992
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard

this looks a lot like what i had in mind.

but what are the 5 inputs for? there's 1-4 and mix on the specs. does that mean you plug the pc to channel 1 and you get the sound into all the 6 output? let's say you have a keyboard synchronised with the pc on output 2 and the pc on output 1, how do you mix them ? ... i'm kind of lost.

ps : sry i'm a complete noob to that.

edit : is this too much? because on afterthoughts, this is like 4 stereo line-in and 6 stereo-line out. we only use MONO since we have only one ear with a headphone one. I also forgot to tell this must be easy to move to gigs.
Last edited by nightale at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by cjmabry
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you need the tempo, and the drummer has a click track in his ear, shouldn't his drumming be the tempo for you guys?

sure if the drummer is tight and we follow the drummer, everything should be ok. but there are some parts in our song where there is no drums. so this becomes very helpful (especially if its very long) and this is why we need this.
A headphone amp is what you want. You should be able to find a cheaper one somewhere, a Behringer one shouldnt set you back much and will be perfectly fine for your use. They're useful because they'll let you set individual headphone levels, rather than everyone having to get the same level (If you listen to it at the level your drummer wants your ears will be ringing afterwards!)
^ as cool as that thing sounds (and it sounds pretty cool) its rather expensive.

nightale, most of the headphone amps that im seeing under $100 are for only 4 outputs. and then most of the ones above that have a bunch of features it sounds like you dont need. this one looks to be a nice compromise of price and outputs.
Quote by jof1029
^ as cool as that thing sounds (and it sounds pretty cool) its rather expensive.

nightale, most of the headphone amps that im seeing under $100 are for only 4 outputs. and then most of the ones above that have a bunch of features it sounds like you dont need. this one looks to be a nice compromise of price and outputs.

thanks this is a good price even new!

but
I'm just wondering, if there are 3 inputs, let's say you use the 3, how do you balance the mix with that kind of gear? Let's say you want more input A and less input B ? I guess this is not possible?

I understand now that a mixing console is not what I want because I need 6 outputs.
I'm just wondering, if we want to use the sequences live, can we use a 1/4 jack from the headphone amp, let's say channel 6, to the main board, even if it's "amplified" ?